• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2020 10:31 pm
[OP]
Aug 7, 2019
925 posts
306 upvotes

Recording in Walmart

I was at Walmart today to return something and was voice-recording just to be safe in case any issues came up later.

Somehow, after I left, the customer service rep realized, traced me down in the store to ask if I was recording. I said yes and she said "delete it or I will call the police" and said continued to repeat various variations of this even as I was deleting it.

Can anyone speak to the situation, have any similar experiences, can speak to the truth of her statement, or have anything else to say? I'm just interested in having an open-ended discussion about the issue since I can't find anything about it online. I get lots of hits for recording laws in public places (in which case it is totally fine as long as I am one person in the conversation) but can't find anything about situations like this.
48 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1468 posts
2061 upvotes
West
With respect to voice recordings, Canada only requires one party consent, meaning you are entitled to record as long as you are present. Being on somebody else's property is irrelevant.

I would be curious to see what she would've called the police for. Sometimes you don't want to screw with Walmart though... all you need is some Karen to raise enough of a stink, and you'll get banned from the store. Next time, don't make it so obvious and/or just don't tell them you recorded the conversation next time. Her tracking you down and straight up asking you should've raised some hairs.
Jun 5, 2016
589 posts
742 upvotes
What issues would have come up?

Its legal to record a conversation that you're a part of but not legal if while you're recording you pick up someone else's conversation too. I don't think being on private property makes a difference but of course they can ask you to leave for any reason.
Penalty Box
Jul 13, 2012
7251 posts
979 upvotes
Ottawa
Walmart is private property. While they can't force you to delete it, they can kick you out of the store and refuse to ever allow you to return. Therefore, it is up to you whether you agree to their terms (delete the recording and stay).
[OP]
Aug 7, 2019
925 posts
306 upvotes
I honestly don't know how she noticed. The only thing that was obvious was when I took a photo in front of them of the Walmart phone number/policy poster they had behind the counter.

I read online that if there isn't a sign posted banning recording, then normal one-party consent laws apply but unfortunately, the web page did not talk about the legalities/technicalities of what happens when a sign is posted.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2780 posts
2037 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
DrDoomsday wrote: I was at Walmart today to return something and was voice-recording just to be safe in case any issues came up later.

Somehow, after I left, the customer service rep realized, traced me down in the store to ask if I was recording. I said yes and she said "delete it or I will call the police" and said continued to repeat various variations of this even as I was deleting it.

Can anyone speak to the situation, have any similar experiences, can speak to the truth of her statement, or have anything else to say? I'm just interested in having an open-ended discussion about the issue since I can't find anything about it online. I get lots of hits for recording laws in public places (in which case it is totally fine as long as I am one person in the conversation) but can't find anything about situations like this.
Generally speaking, I think the signs refer only to video recording or photography. A threat to call the police is a little over the top. I would have actually told her to go ahead and call the police.

Most jurisdictions are - as you know - one party recording jurisdictions and as long as the recording was just as a record of the discussion, you were within your rights to do so.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4150 posts
788 upvotes
Richmond
dunno how you were able to get a return .
no one is taking any returns atm.
I wonder if someone threw a temper tantrum to get a return

taking the story with a grain of salt because I suspect we are not getting the entire story here.
[OP]
Aug 7, 2019
925 posts
306 upvotes
bluebellrose wrote: dunno how you were able to get a return .

taking the story with a grain of salt because I suspect we are not getting the entire story here.
It was actually a price adjustment. I said "return" in my original post to keep things simple since that wasn't the point I wanted to discuss. The person before me threw a temper tantrum but I didn't.

They ultimately told me an online order can only be returned and not price-adjusted but I assure you there were no temper tantrums.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4718 posts
5725 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DrDoomsday wrote: It was actually a price adjustment. I said "return" in my original post to keep things simple since that wasn't the point I wanted to discuss. The person before me threw a temper tantrum but I didn't.

They ultimately told me an online order can only be returned and not price-adjusted but I assure you there were no temper tantrums.
You went in knowing red flags would be set, yet you went anyway and decided to record. What were your real intentions?

This whole story smells.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15636 posts
16780 upvotes
Oakville
DrDoomsday wrote: I was at Walmart today to return something and was voice-recording just to be safe in case any issues came up later.

You should have just told them that you didn't record and they would have to be happy with that since they can't seize your phone. Just walk to you car and drive away. I'm surprised you cowed to them and deleted it.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18643 posts
6700 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure why you record anything. We need the full story. Why were you recording and what were you returning?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15695 posts
13407 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Definitely more to the story. OP is taking pics and recording audio...come on!
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18643 posts
6700 upvotes
Toronto
OP lives up to his name. Doomsday. LOL.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3491 posts
2161 upvotes
This smells more than rotting fish.
Come clean and spill the beans. We know you stalker.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
19151 posts
6701 upvotes
Toronto
Not exactly sure what you would accomplish with a recording? Doesn't seem right.

It's not like you can play back the recording and be like, "Well this associate said I could get a refund, here listen for yourself."

That's nice, we aren't now leave lol
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
2055 posts
1971 upvotes
wonder what made you voice-recorded your transaction.....
this is not sorta thing people do normally... are you always worried something bad is going to happen or previously had bad experience with WM CSR?
Feb 3, 2019
165 posts
123 upvotes
GTA
bluebellrose wrote: dunno how you were able to get a return .

Walmart will take your return if you are persistent about and ask to speak with a manager. A slight reminder that "no returns" is not the corporate policy will seal the deal.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3164 posts
1313 upvotes
Montreal
Curious as to the value of this return. If it was a 1000+$ return then I guess it's somewhat justified and you could just tell the employee to mind her own business and that both are being recorded by Walmart itself.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9204 posts
4495 upvotes
Markham
DaVibe wrote: Not exactly sure what you would accomplish with a recording? Doesn't seem right.

It's not like you can play back the recording and be like, "Well this associate said I could get a refund, here listen for yourself."

That's nice, we aren't now leave lol
I guess it's like when you online chat with say Rogers rep and you want them send you conversations script

Not necessary but some people like do it

But I have another question actually: you know in return desk, usually multiple customers service handles different customers and had their conversation, so when OP record it, he might also record others conversations as well, so is this still legal?
[OP]
Aug 7, 2019
925 posts
306 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Not sure why you record anything. We need the full story. Why were you recording and what were you returning?
''

I was price-adjusting a toy car. The reason I was recording was that Walmart has a tendency to refer you to the online store if you go for an online order and the online people refer you to the physical store. I wanted proof that I already went to the physical store and they told me the adjustment needs to be done online.

I saw the same thing was happening to the guy in front of me who was trying to return an online order so I decided to record in case they also gave me the same sort of runaround.