Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3740 posts
1910 upvotes
Toronto

Recreational Cannabis - What a racket/mess

Over the last month I've been doing some massive landscaping work in my backyard, which has resulted in all sorts of body aches and pains. Since I live in a province where cannabis is legal, I decided to check some out to take the edge off.

So far, I'm not impressed. From what I have seen thus far, everything seems way overpriced and far away.
The only legal option outside of downtown Toronto is Ganjika house in Brampton, which I have visited twice.
Flabbergasted that I spent 40 minutes waiting in a line to pay for overpriced weed in fancy packaging.

Honestly - I wish I had access to a black market dealer.
Share:
24 replies
Jun 11, 2012
51 posts
24 upvotes
shikotee wrote: Honestly - I wish I had access to a black market dealer.
You haven't Google'd hard enough.
Sep 16, 2006
899 posts
178 upvotes
Pickering
SMOK in Ajax is fantastic. and honestly a lot of the legal stuff is not overpriced. Redecan stuff is about $9 a gram, cheaper if you buy lots, and all their stuff is good.
BTW Marijuana is legal in all provinces and territories since October 2018.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8532 posts
3265 upvotes
There was an article on that on the CBC recently:
Statistics Canada's quarterly report on cannabis prices suggests the cost chasm between legal and illegal versions of the drug is wide, and getting wider.

The data agency reported Wednesday that the price gap between the two types of cannabis is as wide as $4.72 a gram, on average.
Based on 572 voluntary responses the data agency deemed credible in the second quarter, StatsCan said the illegal version of the price fell from $6.23 per gram on average, at the start of the year, to $5.93 a gram in the three months up to the end of June.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cannab ... -1.5206554

They are not really going to kill the illegal market if there is that big of a price differential.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3740 posts
1910 upvotes
Toronto
Mistersprinkles wrote: SMOK in Ajax is fantastic. and honestly a lot of the legal stuff is not overpriced. Redecan stuff is about $9 a gram, cheaper if you buy lots, and all their stuff is good.
BTW Marijuana is legal in all provinces and territories since October 2018.
Not overpriced?
You sound less like a consumer, and more like someone who has invested.

Don't know how things stand right now, but as of a few months ago, $10 per gram legal was pegged at about $6.37 per gram blackmarket. Legal dispensaries focus on selling you 3 grams, with little interest in offering lower priced higher quantity sales.

Its early days for this industry, but frankly, I don't really have a desire to pay more $ for a boutique shopping experience. Guess I'll need to wait until someone opens a "No Frills" weed shop.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1765 posts
991 upvotes
I rarely rarely partake now that I'm older. tried a popular app for phones and it was one of the most pleasant transaction of any type I've ever experienced.

I have no problem with the prices since my consumption is so little it may amount to an extra $5/year. The problem is accessibility and options. I don't have time to spend half the day (not to mention gas) getting and getting to it and more importantly the form want it in is not offered. I literally texted a few times and guy showed up in 15 mins. Until the govt fixes the 2, they're losing out on so much revenue.

OT - now I rmb the 90's days trying to score in middle of the night or at ghettos like mornelle court. The stupid shit we do as kids..
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8988 posts
2534 upvotes
London
shikotee wrote:
Honestly - I wish I had access to a black market dealer.
Isn't everyone close to some sort of rez smoke shack?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3740 posts
1910 upvotes
Toronto
Ottomaddox wrote: Isn't everyone close to some sort of rez smoke shack?
To clarify, I guess I was referring to the system I grew up with - a (non brick and mortar) dealer.
It's been about a decade since I've gone that route, so way out of the loop.
And back when I did, it was through friends (of friends), with whom you established a long running relationship.

I could also go legit medical. I have a legit prescription that I used for a few years, which I simply allowed to expire. Just seemed like a pain to do this as this really is a more short term scenario of use. Mostly - I guess I just wanted to check out the legit market.

Any predictions? I very much expected market prices to be pegged closer to street level.
My understanding is that reliable supply is the bigger issue at play.
Assuming this stabilizes, would prices go down with more competition?

In any case - the Ontario roll-out is a hot mess from a (legit) shopping perspective.
Temp. Banned
Apr 5, 2013
4848 posts
1928 upvotes
markham
drove by Sarnia res (Aamjiwnaang) last week....signs at the smoke shops advertising $5/gram
Nov 7, 2014
731 posts
338 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
shikotee wrote:
Any predictions? I very much expected market prices to be pegged closer to street level.
They will but not until they've milked the cow to within an inch of its life. Seeds are still crazy expensive. Clones don't even seem to exist. The companies chose to do this to protect their profit margins and poor quality product. I imagine the black market will continue to exist indefinitely. I would recommend you just plant a few seeds in your backyard. You will probably grow enough to last many years with literally zero effort!
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2049 posts
4126 upvotes
shikotee wrote: Honestly - I wish I had access to a black market dealer.
CanadianMOMs?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16562 posts
6692 upvotes
shikotee wrote: Its early days for this industry, but frankly, I don't really have a desire to pay more $ for a boutique shopping experience. Guess I'll need to wait until someone opens a "No Frills" weed shop.
You're paying more for shopping in a legal place of business that supports legitimate corporations and not supporting street level dealers that often have violence and gangs in their supply chain. Frankly, you are supporting legitimate business which should be reason enough for your business to go there.

After all do you hunt around for contractors that skip on paying their worker's comp premiums and income tax because it will yield a lower price to you even though you are supporting illegal activities?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3740 posts
1910 upvotes
Toronto
kimwoobingsu wrote: CanadianMOMs?
Was just checking out that Reddit today. Wowzers.
TrevorK wrote: You're paying more for shopping in a legal place of business that supports legitimate corporations and not supporting street level dealers that often have violence and gangs in their supply chain. Frankly, you are supporting legitimate business which should be reason enough for your business to go there.

After all do you hunt around for contractors that skip on paying their worker's comp premiums and income tax because it will yield a lower price to you even though you are supporting illegal activities?
I'm not sure how much what you are saying here passes the sniff test.
It is much more complicated than the b/w way you state this.
Many Canadians with decades of experience in cannabis were forced to be illegitimate because there was no other way to do it. More importantly, there could be all sorts of dirty money that has been tied into these "legit" businesses, whether through investors or founders themselves.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16562 posts
6692 upvotes
shikotee wrote: I'm not sure how much what you are saying here passes the sniff test.
It is much more complicated than the b/w way you state this.
Many Canadians with decades of experience in cannabis were forced to be illegitimate because there was no other way to do it. More importantly, there could be all sorts of dirty money that has been tied into these "legit" businesses, whether through investors or founders themselves.
No one was forced to produce and/or sell cannabis illegally. It's not complicated at all, the fact that people were able to do it illegally is irrelevant. It was illegal before and it is still illegal now. People dodge taxes by being paid cash "under the table" but that does not make it any less illegal because they (and many others) get away with it.

I think it would be reasonable to say that there is much more undesirable activity happening in the illegal marketplace and their supply chain, than the legal market and it's supply chain. To say otherwise is just absurd as it defies common sense.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3740 posts
1910 upvotes
Toronto
TrevorK wrote: No one was forced to produce and/or sell cannabis illegally. It's not complicated at all, the fact that people were able to do it illegally is irrelevant. It was illegal before and it is still illegal now. People dodge taxes by being paid cash "under the table" but that does not make it any less illegal because they (and many others) get away with it.

I think it would be reasonable to say that there is much more undesirable activity happening in the illegal marketplace and their supply chain, than the legal market and it's supply chain. To say otherwise is just absurd as it defies common sense.
Many people involved in cannabis did so through conviction, despite the laws of the land being against them.
I respect several who both spoke out and actively violated the ridiculous punitive laws set against cannabis.
Every single person violates several laws/regulations on a daily basis - majority (hopefully) minor (driving 44 in a 40 zone).

I obviously do not share your absolute approach to law and order...