• Oct 2nd, 2019 6:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7449 posts
2408 upvotes
Richmond Hill

recycling laser printer toner cartridges

I know i can bring them to Staples but are there places where i can get back some money? They were pretty pricey when i bought them.

TIA

Last edited by yesstyle on Sep 30th, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8618 posts
5544 upvotes
Mississauga
You mean like the "core charge" you get when you return a car battery? Not aware of any toner make that has this.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18939 posts
6122 upvotes
London
yesstyle wrote: I know i can bring them to Staples but are there places where i can get back some money? They were pretty pricey when i bought them.

TIA
It's the business model. The toner cartridges are expensive because that's where all the profit is, The new cartridge itself is dirt cheap to make

You get the printer for cheap to lock you into profitable consumables. It's like Gillette giving you a "free" handle for razor blades
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7449 posts
2408 upvotes
Richmond Hill
i found generic ones on amazon for $15 while OEM ones are $90+
l69norm wrote: It's the business model. The toner cartridges are expensive because that's where all the profit is, The new cartridge itself is dirt cheap to make

You get the printer for cheap to lock you into profitable consumables. It's like Gillette giving you a "free" handle for razor blades
Sep 1, 2009
351 posts
289 upvotes
gta
Most printer allows end consumer to be able to refill their own cartridge by buying their own toner powder and refill it.

People say “it’s a messy process “ or I will brake my printer doing so. Here are some useless things about it I read somewhere and I would like to learn more here.

1. Every toner powder (some good some bad ) could break your printer if drum doesn’t heat up enough or toner doesn’t heat up to the drums temperature.

2. Toner powder particles size determines which toner cartridge are compatible with them - you can’t use brand name brother toner power in Samsung printers. Sometimes it’s wont even heat up to a specified range and won’t stick to paper.

3. Every part of the cartridge could last up to 20-30k prints and throwing them out is not advisable - buy your toner powder and refill it.

4. Don’t worry about chip counts - you can easily google your printer’s cracked firmware and run the cartridge to the ground before you replace it with a new one.
5. Most cartridge refill is easy. Get powder - punch a hole - fill it up and duck tape it.

At the end you are the end used and you can decide if you want to keep spending money or not.

Recycling a cartridge means it stays away from a landfills. And it means wholesale purchase of used cartridge and refill them for resale. And YES they use most of the original parts of the recycled cartridge(not sure if it’s true - I read it somewhere )

Please, if you know more let us all know - so we all could save money NOT buying brand new cartridges every time.
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7449 posts
2408 upvotes
Richmond Hill
c0mputer wrote: Most printer allows end consumer to be able to refill their own cartridge by buying their own toner powder and refill it.

People say “it’s a messy process “ or I will brake my printer doing so. Here are some useless things about it I read somewhere and I would like to learn more here.

1. Every toner powder (some good some bad ) could break your printer if drum doesn’t heat up enough or toner doesn’t heat up to the drums temperature.

2. Toner powder particles size determines which toner cartridge are compatible with them - you can’t use brand name brother toner power in Samsung printers. Sometimes it’s wont even heat up to a specified range and won’t stick to paper.

3. Every part of the cartridge could last up to 20-30k prints and throwing them out is not advisable - buy your toner powder and refill it.

4. Don’t worry about chip counts - you can easily google your printer’s cracked firmware and run the cartridge to the ground before you replace it with a new one.
5. Most cartridge refill is easy. Get powder - punch a hole - fill it up and duck tape it.

At the end you are the end used and you can decide if you want to keep spending money or not.

Recycling a cartridge means it stays away from a landfills. And it means wholesale purchase of used cartridge and refill them for resale. And YES they use most of the original parts of the recycled cartridge(not sure if it’s true - I read it somewhere )

Please, if you know more let us all know - so we all could save money NOT buying brand new cartridges every time.
sounds like its better to just spend $15 than go thru the hassle you described. THanks though!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2998 upvotes
yesstyle wrote: sounds like its better to just spend $15 than go thru the hassle you described. THanks though!
breathing in the particles when refilling can lead to cancer. Some 3rd party companies that refill will use a mask and a enclosed booth with suction so that the particles don't wind up in the store

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)