Automotive

Red light camera

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2021 5:26 pm
Sep 25, 2017
20 posts

Red light camera

Hello all,
I was making a left turn at a red lighter camera intersection, and as I was approaching the intersection the advanced green arrow turned yellow, I proceeded with the turn but the light went red when the front wheels were past the white line but not the rear. Am I considered a red Light runner?
75 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9535 posts
3185 upvotes
not if it really is as you describe
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
You'll see bright flashing if you're caught. I think most of these red light cams are duds / not working....have seen plenty of these not working when cars zoom by red light.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Sep 25, 2017
20 posts
It was a weird lighting scheme because usually the advanced green goes yellow and then all the lights turn green. That’s why I did stop because I was expecting the lights to go green for both the left turn as well as the cars going straight
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
wiktoro wrote: Hello all,
I was making a left turn at a red lighter camera intersection, and as I was approaching the intersection the advanced green arrow turned yellow, I proceeded with the turn but the light went red when the front wheels were past the white line but not the rear. Am I considered a red Light runner?
No offense... But you're watching where you're turning, watching the light to see when it changed, and watching the stop line to tell that your "front wheels were past but not the rear"?

If everything lined up exactly as you describe, you shouldn't get a ticket as you're allowed to clear the intersection if you enter it before the light turns red. Well, you need to clear the intersection regardless, but no infraction occurred as long as you entered the intersection before the light turned red.

In fact, a simple Google search "red light camera left turn" shows this as a top listing:
https://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/cont ... d60f89RCRD

However, you're apparently cutting things with a hair-thin knife to figure out the details you state. If you get a ticket, trying to fight it based on "the front of my car was in the intersection, even if the back wasn't" would be an option, but I'm not sure how valid it would be, as I don't know what constitutes "entered an intersection". If you look at this site (which is American, so take it with a grain of salt. But you don't give a location, so...) http://www.roadtripamerica.com/forum/co ... -t-Run-Red, they show THEIR definition of the start of the intersection, which is "in front of" the stop line. Which may mean you ran the red. It would all depend on where your jurisdiction defines "an intersection".

So who knows... You'll get one or you won't. If you do, you can go from there. Why look for trouble?

C
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
I guess this is your first red light offence? Welcome to the redlight district.
The camera WILL NOT GO OFF if your front wheels had already crossed the line.

When you get your ticket, you'll see a series a picture, the following pictures will be there as proof:
1. your front wheels were behind the line when light turned red
2. your car proceeded to the intersection after the light already turned red
3. And your license plate zoomed in

Something like this:

So, if the camera went off, you did it. Learn from it. don't blame "THIS SCHEME"
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6959 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Cheapo-Findo wrote: You'll see bright flashing if you're caught. I think most of these red light cams are duds / not working....have seen plenty of these not working when cars zoom by red light.
No, they aren’t duds or out of service. To save money on the equipment, they only put cameras in some of the locations. Then they periodically rotate the cameras to other intersections. So unless the flash goes off, you’ll never know if the intersection has a camera or is just being used as a decoy with no camera.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
CanadianLurker wrote: No, they aren’t duds or out of service. To save money on the equipment, they only put cameras in some of the locations. Then they periodically rotate the cameras to other intersections. So unless the flash goes off, you’ll never know if the intersection has a camera or is just being used as a decoy with no camera.
If I was in charge ever major intersection would have a red light camera. In Mississauga where I live stop signs and red lights are ignored.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2732 posts
3964 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: If I was in charge ever major intersection would have a red light camera. In Mississauga where I live stop signs and red lights are ignored.
This is exactly why you are not in charge.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote: If I was in charge ever major intersection would have a red light camera. In Mississauga where I live stop signs and red lights are ignored.
Many studies have shown that red light cameras cause way more accidents than non-camera-ed intersections.

We can all be thankful that you are not in charge.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
13inches wrote: This is exactly why you are not in charge.
I cant believe anybody thinks running red lights and causing accidents is a good thing.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
konsensei wrote: I guess this is your first red light offence? Welcome to the redlight district.
The camera WILL NOT GO OFF if your front wheels had already crossed the line.

When you get your ticket, you'll see a series a picture, the following pictures will be there as proof:
1. your front wheels were behind the line when light turned red
2. your car proceeded to the intersection after the light already turned red
3. And your license plate zoomed in

Something like this:

So, if the camera went off, you did it. Learn from it. don't blame "THIS SCHEME"
Should both front wheels be beyond that line? Sounds like it's just so much better to advance well ahead of that line?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
Anikiri wrote: Many studies have shown that red light cameras cause way more accidents than non-camera-ed intersections.

Many studies show. lol If you look hard enough on the internet you can find studies that support both side of any discussion.
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes
Regardless, I don't know why some people are in such a hurry that they disobey the red light traffic? The other day some guy was tailing me from behind, very close, and then he cuts off to the next lane endangering the other vehicle. Zooms past a red light (don't know if the light captured him because it did have a camera) BUT at the other traffic light he was stopped 3 cars back and I just rolled up next to him and nodded my head. I mean he went through all that trouble to stop at another light! If you're in a hurry, then leave early. The road is for everyone to share so drive responsibly (unless your in New York or India, TRULY another story! lol)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6959 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Anikiri wrote: Many studies have shown that red light cameras cause way more accidents than non-camera-ed intersections.

I believe these studies showed that head on or corner impacts were reduced (hitting left turning car) and t-bones or side impacts were reduced.

What increases is rear-end collisions where overly cautious drivers overreact to intersections with cameras by slowing down too much or by stopping too aggressively in order to avoid getting a camera ticket.

So, generally, the uptick in accidents is made up of less-serious collisions occurring while there’s a reduction in quite serious collisions.

On a net/net basis, we are probably still better off with the cameras than without.

Unless you know of studies that get into the details of actual damage costs, injury statistics, and health care costs.

In the meantime, I know if I had a choice I’d rather get hit from behind than have a head on or t-none collision.
Apr 7, 2014
247 posts
114 upvotes
Whitby, ON
Is anybody here sure that these cameras pick up the intersection all the way to the left turning lane? I thought there's a limited range of what they can see, but never found a clear answer on this. Having cars stopped to your right will also likely obstruct the view of the tires, so showing if they were over the line or not will be difficult.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2732 posts
3964 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: I cant believe anybody thinks running red lights and causing accidents is a good thing.
I can't believe anybody thinks the cost of installing 4 cameras at every metered intersection in Mississauga is an efficient use of taxpayer dollars.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
13inches wrote: I can't believe anybody thinks the cost of installing 4 cameras at every metered intersection in Mississauga is an efficient use of taxpayer dollars.
I think its a great use of taxpayer`s dollars. Just think of how many lives would be saved. The cameras would pay for themselves in the first year.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
7736 posts
10770 upvotes
Richmond Hill
antigua1999 wrote: I think its a great use of taxpayer`s dollars. Just think of how many lives would be saved. The cameras would pay for themselves in the first year.
I believe each camera is 100k. There are 769(?) traffic lights in Mississauga.

That's $76.9 million dollars (ignoring economy of scale).

How much is a statistical life worth?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
sailplane wrote: Is anybody here sure that these cameras pick up the intersection all the way to the left turning lane? I thought there's a limited range of what they can see, but never found a clear answer on this. Having cars stopped to your right will also likely obstruct the view of the tires, so showing if they were over the line or not will be difficult.
That’s a good question. I’ve never heard of someone getting a red light ticket on a left turn (advanced or otherwise) but perhaps others have seen or heard of this scenario occurring.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)