Automotive

Red Light Camera Ticket - Picture Shows Me Stopped

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2021 11:06 pm
[OP]
Member
Sep 15, 2018
439 posts
88 upvotes

Red Light Camera Ticket - Picture Shows Me Stopped

Hey,

Just got a red light camera ticket. None of the pictures show me proceeding through the intersection on a red light. The picture shows me stopped at the red light before the line. Second picture shows the intersection. Third picture shows the license place zoomed in from the first picture.

I was driving toward the intersection. I saw the light had turned yellow. I stopped while the light was still showing yellow. And then after the light turned red, I proceeded and made the turn. I was stopped until the end of the yellow and until the light had turned to red.

What are your thoughts? If this is going to take hours and hours of my time, I might be better off paying it. But can they actually convict at court with just these pictures? Lol
Images
  • 0257ECC8-9EDF-4EEB-80C2-7BACBAD5C4F7.jpeg
  • 88D36C41-5DB6-4F9D-B623-54A46B05F238.jpeg
  • 64AEE0E6-1259-40CC-A581-45EE2EAF5344.jpeg
Last edited by Kyle12345 on Sep 12th, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
98 replies
Member
Apr 22, 2019
273 posts
217 upvotes
Well you were obviously making a right turn on a red without fully stopping, there’s nothing to fight. You ran the red. You may have slowed down but definitely not enough
[OP]
Member
Sep 15, 2018
439 posts
88 upvotes
Beamerguy28 wrote: Well you were obviously making a right turn on a red without fully stopping, there’s nothing to fight. You ran the red. You may have slowed down but definitely not enough
I actually stopped while still yellow since I didn’t know how long it was yellow for and if I could proceed safely when I saw the yellow and turned after it turned red.
Last edited by Kyle12345 on Sep 10th, 2021 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Member
Apr 22, 2019
273 posts
217 upvotes
Kyle12345 wrote: I actually stopped while still yellow since I didn’t know how long it was yellow for and if I could proceed safely when I saw the yellow and turned after it turned red.
Honestly I hate the red light cameras that get you on the right turn, my father in law got a similar ticket, in this situation youre honestly just gonna have to bite the bullet and pay.
[OP]
Member
Sep 15, 2018
439 posts
88 upvotes
Beamerguy28 wrote: Honestly I hate the red light cameras that get you on the right turn, my father in law got a similar ticket, in this situation youre honestly just gonna have to bite the bullet and pay.
Lol exactly.

It’s different if they have a picture of you proceeding through the intersection, that’s hard to refute.

But in this case my account of events perfectly explains the pictures as well. Stopped within the 4 seconds of the yellow. Light turned red while still stopped. And then turned right after it turned red.

Whatever, I’ll pay it since it’s probably not worth the trouble. I just don’t see how it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that I ran the red by just that one picture of me stopping.
Last edited by Kyle12345 on Sep 10th, 2021 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Member
Apr 22, 2019
273 posts
217 upvotes
Kyle12345 wrote: Lol exactly.

It’s different if they have a picture of you proceeding through the intersection, that’s hard to refute.

But in this case my account of events perfectly explains the pictures as well. Stopped within the 4 seconds of the yellow. Light turned red while still stopped. And then turned right after it turned red.

Whatever, I’ll pay it since it’s probably not worth the trouble. I just don’t see how a judge can say I ran the red by just that one picture lol.
Yeah I agree, it’s stupid. How can we even trust their cameras are calibrated correctly or aren’t malfunctioning? These cameras are all just a cash grab.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 1, 2005
5845 posts
3487 upvotes
Toronto
Kyle12345 wrote: Hey,

Just got a red light camera ticket. None of the pictures show me proceeding through the intersection on a red light. The picture shows me stopped at the red light before the line. Second picture shows the intersection. Third picture shows the license place zoomed in from the first picture.

I actually stopped within the 4 seconds of the yellow. Light turned red while still stopped. And then turned right after it turned red.

What are your thoughts? If this is going to take hours and hours of my time, I might be better off paying it. But can they actually convict at court with just these pictures? Lol
LOL why did you blackout the trim level, got a Type R badge on it?

The ticket says you crossed the line at 35km/h, I guess the Type R badge really works!
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 4, 2005
7163 posts
1277 upvotes
Ottawa
Do the cameras work from the opposite direction too for right turns? I always see cars turning right on both sides with no stopping whatsoever but the camera never flashes. Busted camera or are some disabled for right turns?
Member
Nov 10, 2019
337 posts
252 upvotes
jeeva86 wrote: Do the cameras work from the opposite direction too for right turns? I always see cars turning right on both sides with no stopping whatsoever but the camera never flashes. Busted camera or are some disabled for right turns?
No
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2937 posts
1433 upvotes
Mississauga
I know this exact intersection at Heartland. Do you have a dashcam video footage to help exonorate you?

The still images show the other cars slowing down but no brake lights on yours. Unless you were the 1st to arrive and the light has been red for a while.

The car across from you turning left does not help. That lane does not have an advanced Green and the driver stopped past the line.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
1674 posts
1071 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
Kyle12345 wrote: I actually stopped while still yellow since I didn’t know how long it was yellow for and if I could proceed safely when I saw the yellow and turned after it turned red.
You’re approaching at 35 KM/H. You didn’t come to a complete stop at the line prior to turning. You went right through. Ticket is legitimate.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 31, 2008
12232 posts
2439 upvotes
Toronto
The issue was once it turned red, that's when the timer starts. Not how long you stopped before hand. You should have just sped through the yellow then you would have been safe.

When I see a red light camera, which I always watch out for like a hawk, and it turns red, I don't care, I stop for a full 3 seconds at least. I'm not even looking all the way left. Just stay in a bubble type thing. Then look left to see any cars coming.

I've had times where a car has been behind my ass and they don't stop and just tail me. I'm wondering if those cars get ticketed.
Newbie
Jul 7, 2020
20 posts
17 upvotes
100Pacer wrote: You’re approaching at 35 KM/H. You didn’t come to a complete stop at the line prior to turning. You went right through. Ticket is legitimate.
Exactly. Look at the opposing traffic. The left turning car barely moved between both photos yet the OPs car is completely out of frame already by the second photo. The left turning car probably saw OP trying to beat the red so it waited. The other cars that stopped for the red also barely moved. He must have taken that turn at a fast speed without stopping.

Guilty as charged.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14118 posts
4732 upvotes
RFD
BeaverLiquor wrote: LOL why did you blackout the trim level, got a Type R badge on it?

The ticket says you crossed the line at 35km/h, I guess the Type R badge really works!
Boom. Roasted.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4396 posts
4567 upvotes
GTA
The two photos are taken within milliseconds of each other. Your car didn't accelerate from a complete stop to being out of view in a few milliseconds. Rolling through the red light at 35 km/h on the other hand...
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
12656 posts
9260 upvotes
Edmonton
Kyle12345 wrote: Hey,

Just got a red light camera ticket. None of the pictures show me proceeding through the intersection on a red light. The picture shows me stopped at the red light before the line. Second picture shows the intersection. Third picture shows the license place zoomed in from the first picture.

I actually stopped within the 4 seconds of the yellow. Light turned red while still stopped. And then turned right after it turned red.

What are your thoughts? If this is going to take hours and hours of my time, I might be better off paying it. But can they actually convict at court with just these pictures? Lol
So first off, there's a whole "Fighting your traffic ticket" thread, stickied at the top of this forum. You might want to browse through there (and this post belongs in there).

Second, you don't show the top of first image. Was there a header on there, showing your speed? Because I'm thinking it's what the others have indicated; you were travelling at a decent rate of speed when you got to the corner. It's a still-motion picture; even if you're moving it would look like you're stopped.

Third, another possibility is that you stopped on the wrong side of the stop line. The top picture looks like you might be across it. Sucks, but them's the breaks (if that's the case).

Fourth, realistically the only way you fight this and win is if you have dash-cam footage to dispute the photo radar evidence. However, that doesn't mean that you can't request a trial and negotiate a discount.

Fifth, one more option is that it was a "no right turn on red", but I don't see any signs for that in your pictures. Doesn't mean they don't exist, though, out of the camera frame.

C
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
17176 posts
19063 upvotes
Oakville
Kyle12345 wrote: Hey,

Just got a red light camera ticket. None of the pictures show me proceeding through the intersection on a red light. The picture shows me stopped at the red light before the line. Second picture shows the intersection. Third picture shows the license place zoomed in from the first picture.

I actually stopped within the 4 seconds of the yellow. Light turned red while still stopped. And then turned right after it turned red.

What are your thoughts? If this is going to take hours and hours of my time, I might be better off paying it. But can they actually convict at court with just these pictures? Lol
Image
Can you let us see close ups of the photos?
Do you have dashcam video to prove your case?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Newbie
Nov 23, 2014
45 posts
112 upvotes
Richmond, BC
OP, why would you lie to a bunch of strangers on a random message board about stopping for 4 whole seconds?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
13217 posts
10091 upvotes
GTA, ON
Considering the photos are taken milliseconds apart and you are nowhere to be seen in the 2nd photo, one can easily surmise you didn't stop but sailed right through. Unless of course your vehicle can go from 0 to 100 in 0.2sec
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!

Top