Red light camera ticket - plea of guilty

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2019 11:56 am
[OP]
Dec 11, 2003
239 posts
35 upvotes

Red light camera ticket - plea of guilty

Hi, I recently received a red light camera ticket in mail. Reading some of the posts here, I decide not to fight it. However I wonder the penalty can be reduced if I decide to go to the office in person and enter a plea of guilty.

Anyone can share their experiences? Thanks in advance.

My location is Markham.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2006
1316 posts
137 upvotes
GTA
So that they know who the driver is and have it go on your record?! No way. I'll gladly pay the fine and call it a day.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
7056 posts
1211 upvotes
Ottawa
I went in and got it reduced to the min in Ottawa. $3xx -> $200. Paid the fine. Bit the bullet. More careful about reds now.
Apr 24, 2011
438 posts
194 upvotes
Scarborough
Go in and plead guilty with an explanation and hope that they reduce it (they don't have to, but they usually do). Doesn't affect insurance or go on your driving record. Took me about 20 minutes including waiting time and got it reduced by $100 or something
Feb 25, 2004
518 posts
207 upvotes
I got one earlier this month.

said I entered the intersection when the light was red for .8 seconds and took 1 second to clear the intersection.

essentially I decided to proceed with caution into the intersection when the light was yellow. There is no way I could have stopped without entering the intersection. although I guess the argument will be that I could have stopped on a yellow. I just find the timing a little too rediculous.

nothing but a cash grab
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54686 posts
19492 upvotes
What is the opposite of pleading guilty?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54686 posts
19492 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: No such thing, you're always guilty. lol
Sounds like the judge/authority lessens fees/terms because we feign being apologetic? :)
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12436 posts
8944 upvotes
Edmonton
alanbrenton wrote: What is the opposite of pleading guilty?
Pleading not guilty, and attempting to fight the charge somehow in court.

C
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54686 posts
19492 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: Pleading not guilty, and attempting to fight the charge somehow in court.

C
That's right. Probably doesn't make sense to fight a red camera ticket as it's automated and maybe calibrated once in a while.
Jun 12, 2015
103 posts
39 upvotes
Earth
Just select the option to talk to prosecutor. They will send you a notice with a date to come meet them. Show up that day and they will reduce the fine to a minimum of $200 I believe it is.

But depending on the judge on how nice they are consider each case separately on its own merit and will reduce the fine even further. The victim surcharge fee is on top of the fine and is non negotiable.

If you dont have time or day to spare just pay the fine and call it a day. Either way it I don't think goes on your driving record as they have no record of who was driving the car regardless of whether you go in or pay online.

Disclaimer: This is not a legal advice and is for information purposes only. Consult your own lawyer.