Red light Camera Ticket - Please Help

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2011 9:26 pm
[OP]
Sep 4, 2008
19 posts
toronto

Red light Camera Ticket - Please Help

:( Okay I have got a red light camera ticket. And do not know what to do?

I read couple of threads here and there, and from there what I have got to know is:

1) There is no demerit point for this offense.
2) If I go to the court office they most likely reduce my fine given I go for the Plea of guilty option.
3) This ticket does not effect the driving record, nor it increases my insurance if I pay them the whole amount $325 .

But my question is, If i decide to go for the "PLEA OF GUILT" option to reduce my fine, would they then record it under my name? Will that be listed then under my driving record?
46 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1646 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
alwaysalone wrote: :( no one there to give out some advice? .. mm

No one likes people running red lights! My parents almost got killed by a van running a red light!

Not familiar with red light camera tickets, but if you pay full fine and don't get convicted I'd try that. If you get conviction record either way, your insurance will be affected.
Mar 4, 2008
56 posts
29 upvotes
The thing is - if you pay the ticket, you automatically play guilty. If you are not guilty - you go to court and have a trial or, at least, chat with Crown prosecutor. So, it never hurts to go to court as you have nothing to loose regardless what kind of ticket you have. As for red-light camera ticket and having your name on the record - your name IS on the record (it was issued to you as to registered owner, right?) and you have four options:
1) admit the guilt and pay the fine (i.e. GUILTY plea);
2) go to court and try to negotiate reduction of the fine with Crown Prosecutor (i.e. GUILTY plea)
3) go to court, plea NOT guilty and have a trial - good luck on that, red light tickets impossible to fight. If you loose, you will be convicted GUILTY an will have to pay full fine as in #1
4) go to court and provide them with information that someone else (and give names and details) was driving your car so they could re-issue the ticket to the proper offender. In this case you will be required to attend court as a witness

From what you wrote it looks like #4 option is not the case, so I'd say #2 is the best bet. Only #4 option will get you off the hook (or #3 if you win the trial - but good luck on that)

These camera red-light or speeding tickets are issued to register owner name as they cannot prove who was driving, so the onus is on r/o to admit the guilt or provide info on offender. As for affect on your insurance, you'll have to ask your insurance as it is different for everyone
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
I am not 100% sure but I doubt it would be in your name. was the charge in your name?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17911 posts
8805 upvotes
Why not just pay the ticket and accept responsibility for your actions? You ran the red light (or someone driving your car did), and you know the penalty for doing that. Pay the ticket and take it as a lesson learned.

With the ticket being a registered owners ticket and not carrying any demerits you don't have the usual excuse of "Oh, but I don't want my insurance to rise."
[OP]
Sep 4, 2008
19 posts
toronto
umm so technically you guys are saying you are not sure if they convict me if I go to lower the fine a bit?

I am a safe driver I believe. I do not take highway and try to stick to the service road for the safety sake. That was the only mistake I made, and I feel sorry for it, and lesson has been learned. But if anyone experienced this kind of situation please let me know

If I go to the court office to lower my fine a little (usually 125 buckz) would that stay on my record?

because if I just pay 325 most likely it will not show up on my record.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
402 upvotes
GT&A
no demerit points, no insurance increase.

all they got is the license plate, not the driver.

do not challenge it, otherwise they'll know it was you.

just pay the ticket and never run a red again.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17911 posts
8805 upvotes
alwaysalone wrote: because if I just pay 325 most likely it will not show up on my record.

It will not show up on your record as it's a registered owner ticket. They cannot prove who was driving the vehicle, all they can prove is that a driver of the vehicle committed the offense and they are billing the registered owner for the infraction.

Learning your lesson and accepting responsibility involves paying the fine. You knew the price for your offense and you still chose to commit it.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
402 upvotes
GT&A
Insurance companies must be really sad that they can't increase policies because of red light camera tickets. :cry:
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17911 posts
8805 upvotes
longitude wrote: Insurance companies must be really sad that they can't increase policies because of red light camera tickets. :cry:
Of course they are. Running a red light is a sign of poor driving, and poor driving leads to accidents. Accidents lead to insurance companies paying out, and all of our premiums rising to compensate (as premiums are partly based on location). In reality, all drivers should be upset at the lack of repercussions for red light camera tickets because they will shoulder some burden when poor drivers are allowed to continue driving on the road (due to no demerits) and lower insurance rates (due to registered owner convictions not being held against them).
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2954 posts
113 upvotes
Markham
I got a red light camera ticket, I was making a right turn when the light had just turned red....is this still impossible to fight??
Oct 19, 2009
637 posts
44 upvotes
The only way out of a red light ticket is because an emergency vehicle was behind you and you had to cross the intersection to allow it to pass. Proving this is tough as typically the emergency vehicle will go through the same red light.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
402 upvotes
GT&A
TrevorK wrote: Of course they are. Running a red light is a sign of poor driving, and poor driving leads to accidents. Accidents lead to insurance companies paying out, and all of our premiums rising to compensate (as premiums are partly based on location). In reality, all drivers should be upset at the lack of repercussions for red light camera tickets because they will shoulder some burden when poor drivers are allowed to continue driving on the road (due to no demerits) and lower insurance rates (due to registered owner convictions not being held against them).

Less milking, less profits, thus the sadness. :D
11b guide
Sep 29, 2010
17 posts
edmonton
TrevorK wrote: Of course they are. Running a red light is a sign of poor driving, and poor driving leads to accidents. Accidents lead to insurance companies paying out, and all of our premiums rising to compensate (as premiums are partly based on location). In reality, all drivers should be upset at the lack of repercussions for red light camera tickets because they will shoulder some burden when poor drivers are allowed to continue driving on the road (due to no demerits) and lower insurance rates (due to registered owner convictions not being held against them).

Depends - is a right turn on a red allowed at that intersection? I think not, for if it was you wouldn't have been on camera. So, you can fight if you wish - but you'll lose
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
193 upvotes
kptkrunch wrote: Depends - is a right turn on a red allowed at that intersection? I think not, for if it was you wouldn't have been on camera. So, you can fight if you wish - but you'll lose

You can get that ticket in all intersection that allows right turn on a red (and has the camera).
If you don't do a complete stop before making that right turn, you get that ticket.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Sep 14, 2010
120 posts
Halton Area
longitude wrote: Insurance companies must be really sad that they can't increase policies because of red light camera tickets. :cry:

actually, just for the sake of curiosity, it makes me wonder why cant they? cant insurance companies raise the rate of the registered owner since he either drove it (and ran the red light) or lent the car to someone else not responsible enough to follow the rules (eg. hence the registered owner can also be accessory to the "crime")?
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
402 upvotes
GT&A
discovermac wrote: actually, just for the sake of curiosity, it makes me wonder why cant they? cant insurance companies raise the rate of the registered owner since he either drove it (and ran the red light) or lent the car to someone else not responsible enough to follow the rules (eg. hence the registered owner can also be accessory to the "crime")?

With their lobby power, why not?

Also parking tickets, why not increase policy rates too?
Blocking a fire hydrant is risking the lives of people.

It's more money coming in.
11b guide
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9475 posts
748 upvotes
discovermac wrote: actually, just for the sake of curiosity, it makes me wonder why cant they? cant insurance companies raise the rate of the registered owner since he either drove it (and ran the red light) or lent the car to someone else not responsible enough to follow the rules (eg. hence the registered owner can also be accessory to the "crime")?

because I believe it's an administrative offense. Those dont affect your rates.
longitude wrote: With their lobby power, why not?

Also parking tickets, why not increase policy rates too?
Blocking a fire hydrant is risking the lives of people.

It's more money coming in.

Doesnt this go against your opinion? If they had this power and were just worried about profits, wouldn't this be a reality already? So dont you think you're missing something?