Automotive

Red light runner causes accident, likely punishment?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2016 3:27 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
78 posts
17 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario

Red light runner causes accident, likely punishment?

Ar$ehole runs red light, gets t-boned and hits me (stationary) head on. Spoke to "rookie" cop who stated that he is only being charged for running the red light. Driver with legal right of way was taken off in ambulance. I was injured too. I'm fairly confident that all 3 cars involved are totalled. What punishment is this idiot likely to receive?

Thanks in advance.
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6882 posts
5796 upvotes
Burlington
Why don't you punish him yourself? more satisfying
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4232 posts
871 upvotes
Ottawa
He'll pay higher insurance rates for at least the next six years. That's about it. Because of no-fault insurance in Ontario, there are no "real" consequences because he can't be sued. Meanwhile innocent people like you are hurt and have to take time off work and deal with PTSD for the rest of your life.
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
78 posts
17 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario
MacGyver wrote: He'll pay higher insurance rates for at least the next six years. That's about it. Because of no-fault insurance in Ontario, there are no "real" consequences because he can't be sued. Meanwhile innocent people like you are hurt and have to take time off work and deal with PTSD for the rest of your life.
Can you elaborate on this "no fault" insurance?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13897 posts
8993 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Hire a lawyer and sue.
Hammerhead786 wrote: Ar$ehole runs red light, gets t-boned and hits me (stationary) head on. Spoke to "rookie" cop who stated that he is only being charged for running the red light. Driver with legal right of way was taken off in ambulance. I was injured too. I'm fairly confident that all 3 cars involved are totalled. What punishment is this idiot likely to receive?

Thanks in advance.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35617 posts
21675 upvotes
Center of Universe
Hammerhead786 wrote: Is there a legal way? :twisted:
You can go after the driver that tboned him.
Is that the right thing to do...your call?
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
78 posts
17 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Hire a lawyer and sue.
I come from an environment where we don't have a sue mentality, but in this case I'm willing to making an exception.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45421 posts
8442 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Hammerhead786 wrote: Can you elaborate on this "no fault" insurance?
As long as you have insurance... They'll protect the driver up to whatever the policy amount is. Unless you're drunk or purposely using your car to murder people. Or using it for something illegal like as a getaway car for a bank robbery.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4232 posts
871 upvotes
Ottawa
Hammerhead786 wrote: Can you elaborate on this "no fault" insurance?
http://www.melochemonnex.com/en/car-ins ... io_nofault
Ontario has a "no-fault" car insurance system. But this doesn't mean that no one is at-fault in an accident. "No-fault" insurance means that if you are injured or your car is damaged in an accident, then you deal with your own insurance company, regardless of who is at-fault. You don't have to go after the at-fault driver for compensation.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2772 posts
1773 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sue that guy to kingdom come.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18549 posts
2926 upvotes
Langley
It's crazy that you can run a reD light and hurt/kill people and get a $260 fine. But in BC, if you pick up your phone to glance a text message while waiting for a red light, it's a $500 fine.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21902 posts
2718 upvotes
i6s1 wrote: It's crazy that you can run a reD light and hurt/kill people and get a $260 fine. But in BC, if you pick up your phone to glance a text message while waiting for a red light, it's a $500 fine.
Distracted driving is a $490 ticket in ON as well.

Although the charge is likely to be careless which has much higher fines.
Jun 8, 2016
55 posts
157 upvotes
Most likely a heart warming talk from a police officer.

I had a crazy lady pushing out my driver side window because I was following her too close. Couldn't even get her to pay for a replacement without going to the civil court, which the cops strongly recommended that I do not.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5854 posts
2032 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Shallos wrote: I had a crazy lady pushing out my driver side window because I was following her too close. Couldn't even get her to pay for a replacement without going to the civil court, which the cops strongly recommended that I do not.
???
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Aug 16, 2011
840 posts
250 upvotes
Kitchener
Our system is so broken in cases like these, most likely get careless and running a red, pay some fines and get some demerits. A friend of mine's aunt and grandmother were killed not long ago by a person who ran a stop sign. Driver is only getting charged with careless and and running a stop sign. Killed 2 people and will only pay fines.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16734 posts
6965 upvotes
Hammerhead786 wrote: Ar$ehole runs red light, gets t-boned and hits me (stationary) head on. Spoke to "rookie" cop who stated that he is only being charged for running the red light. Driver with legal right of way was taken off in ambulance. I was injured too. I'm fairly confident that all 3 cars involved are totalled. What punishment is this idiot likely to receive?

Thanks in advance.
They have received a minor ticket (which they may try and weasel out of still) and a slight insurance increase.

The amount they carry for liability will most likely cover all the injured parties unless someone is permanently disabled and requires long term care. Even if you sue the individual, you would have to obtain a judgement that, when combined with the others judgements, is over their limit for liability from their insurance.

In the end, the individual is likely to be out of pocket for a fine and insurance premiums (which they can partially mitigate by driving an older car with less coverage).