Food & Drink

Red onions imported from the USA by Sysco in Western Canada recalled due to Salmonella

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2020 8:04 pm
7 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
I didn’t hear about it until I had 2 to 3 meals with red onions. Don’t feel any worse than I usually do, and I discarded the bag long ago so I don’t know it’s origin.

How can salmonella be inside an onion? I thought it was mainly on the outside. Contaminated soil?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8425 posts
5301 upvotes
Mississauga
So do red onions not grow in Canada? I was at three different grocery stores yesterday and no one had any for sale (but lots of Ontario yellow, sweet, etc.)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19645 posts
6583 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: So do red onions not grow in Canada?
Looks like they're seasonal...
"Large sweet Spanish and red onions are usually harvested from early September until the latter part of December. The most common variety is Yula."

Source: https://www.ontario.ca/foodland/food/onions
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5992 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
mrweather wrote: So do red onions not grow in Canada? I was at three different grocery stores yesterday and no one had any for sale (but lots of Ontario yellow, sweet, etc.)
If Canadian red onions were available, they would probably be pulled temporarily as well (not discarded). Many consumers will shy away from all red onions anyway.

The reason is, the ignorant consumer that only knows "red onions have been recalled" will start crying foul if they see any of them being sold in general, and claim "they are selling poison" etc. without knowing the recall details.

It's easier to pull everything to keep interest away from them as many consumers become curious and actively seek things they see on the news.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1959 posts
3969 upvotes
Bloor-Yonge
A food scientist says Canadians may have to seek out new sources of flavour as U.S.-grown onions are pulled from produce sections because of concerns about salmonella contamination.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says Thomson International is expanding its recall of red onions to also remove the yellow, white and sweet yellow varieties from the grocery aisle.

The Public Health Agency of Canada has identified the California-based grower's red onions as the likely source of a salmonella outbreak with 120 confirmed cases in Canada.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8361 posts
4069 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Fall out for me is if Canadian onions go up in price. The yellow ones I buy generally come from Alberta and shallots/small reds from Manitoba.I never buy U.S. onions, and will by Chinese ones (not that thee are any available AFAIK) before I buy U.S. ones.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China