Automotive

Redesigned 2022 Nissan Pathfinder (no more CVT!)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2021 11:32 am
79 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28605 posts
14014 upvotes
Toronto
side profile looks like a Ford Explorer to me.
Banned
Jan 31, 2021
22 posts
14 upvotes
How can a 9 speed be more efficient than a CVT in theory? CVT should've been the end game before going into BEV's with no transmissions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3128 posts
4195 upvotes
Edmonton
Melancolic wrote: How can a 9 speed be more efficient than a CVT in theory? CVT should've been the end game before going into BEV's with no transmissions.
Probably isn't
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7417 posts
5438 upvotes
Kitchener
Melancolic wrote: How can a 9 speed be more efficient than a CVT in theory? CVT should've been the end game before going into BEV's with no transmissions.
Nissan is now officially moving backwards.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28605 posts
14014 upvotes
Toronto
.... they have no real choice and that's because their cvt is a total piece of crap from day 1
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1656 posts
1228 upvotes
Ottawa
It's a Nissan, hard pass!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4743 upvotes
More efficient for Nissan's warranty department.
Jul 29, 2019
373 posts
247 upvotes
You can really see the new Rogue in this Pathfinder. The front is similar but it also looks like a Land Rover as well. The back with the Pathfinder name, I think the flat section it is on is too big. Doesn't fit right to me.

Now with a 9 speed instead of CVT, people can stop complaining about something that was base on what happened years ago.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13674 posts
7813 upvotes
Toronto
Better but WTF is with the half-painted pillar behind the rear door windows?

8 seater option, i guess no more Armada either
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4743 upvotes
Swerny wrote: 8 seater option, i guess no more Armada either
With Titan wrapped up in Canada and Land Cruiser never showed up in Canada and is being cancelled in US. Looks like body on frame SUVs is ending.

But if you look at how hot the Korean twins are selling, you really don't need Armada anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4743 upvotes
derass wrote: P A T H F I N D E R
Spaces in name is directly collate to offroad worthiness.
May 21, 2008
775 posts
94 upvotes
Ottawa
Strange, isn’t other manufacturers moving away from ZF 9 speed ? I guess Nissan got it cheap because no one wants it?
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3770 posts
2689 upvotes
Toronto
Step in the right direction. F CVT's. All of them.
FreezingCanada wrote: We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
Sep 25, 2018
659 posts
1204 upvotes
CTV is the end game for small engines. For V6's or even I4's that produces more than 200 or so horsepower, CVT just can't handle the higher torque.

Look at Toyota. Their Corolla produces up to 168hp, so they pair CVT with it. Their Camry has 203-301hp, so they pair it with direct shift. And all their CUV/SUVs are more than 200hp, and they get direct shift. C-HR is the only CUV with less than 200hp, and it has CVT.

On the Honda side, Civic produces bewteen 158-180HP, and it has CVT. The Accord is the interesting one. The 1.5T engine has 192hp, and it gets CVT. But the 2.0T has 252hp, and it gets 10 speed AT. On their CUV/SUV side, similar to Toyota, the smaller ones like HR-V and CR-V with up to 190hp get CVT. But the larger ones with way over 250hp all get standard automatic transmission.

Even Nissan didn't put a CVT on a Armada with 390hp. It probably couldn't make it out of the testing field.

Hybrid is a different game. CVT can handle two different power source (gas engine and electric motor) better than other automatic transmissions.

Nissan is could be the only manufacturer that pairs CVT with a powerful engine (more than 200hp). Alongside with their subpar transmission quality, they are notorious for premature CVT failure.

So Nissan isn't going backward, @Rob_EV, they are finally realizing the limitation of CVT and is trying to make more reliable drivetrains. Wondering if they'll do the same with Maxima and Murano.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4113 posts
1609 upvotes
In terms of design / looks, there are many improvements.

It definitely look good (or better than before), BUT also I see things I don't like.

The current Pathfinder is a relative sales failure in Canada. Maybe the new one helps a little bit.

Overall, I feel indifferent to it. Like I would not even go to test drive it. They need to do more, Nissan is in trouble.

Edited for typos.
Last edited by motomondo on Feb 4th, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5663 posts
3254 upvotes
Toronto
AlicW93740 wrote: CTV is the end game for small engines. For V6's or even I4's that produces more than 200 or so horsepower, CVT just can't handle the higher torque.

Look at Toyota. Their Corolla produces up to 168hp, so they pair CVT with it. Their Camry has 203-301hp, so they pair it with direct shift. And all their CUV/SUVs are more than 200hp, and they get direct shift. C-HR is the only CUV with less than 200hp, and it has CVT.

On the Honda side, Civic produces bewteen 158-180HP, and it has CVT. The Accord is the interesting one. The 1.5T engine has 192hp, and it gets CVT. But the 2.0T has 252hp, and it gets 10 speed AT. On their CUV/SUV side, similar to Toyota, the smaller ones like HR-V and CR-V with up to 190hp get CVT. But the larger ones with way over 250hp all get standard automatic transmission.

Even Nissan didn't put a CVT on a Armada with 390hp. It probably couldn't make it out of the testing field.

Hybrid is a different game. CVT can handle two different power source (gas engine and electric motor) better than other automatic transmissions.

Nissan is could be the only manufacturer that pairs CVT with a powerful engine (more than 200hp). Alongside with their subpar transmission quality, they are notorious for premature CVT failure.

So Nissan isn't going backward, @Rob_EV, they are finally realizing the limitation of CVT and is trying to make more reliable drivetrains. Wondering if they'll do the same with Maxima and Murano.
WRX, Ascent, Outback XT have 260+.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Apr 5, 2017
836 posts
603 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
lmao what's it going to do with those Goodyear Duratracs in combination with bumper overhangs that effectively give it the approach and departure angles of a mid size sedan.

Side profile looks like a Traverse. Highlander. That's what this is in class/formula.

Another generic family hauler. Nissan interiors/quality is definitely a huge step up from previous generation. Took long enough. Sentra/Rogue redesigns are very pleasant.
Jul 29, 2019
373 posts
247 upvotes
motomondo wrote: In terms of design / looks, there are many improvements.

It definitely look good (or better than before), BUT also I see things I don't like.

The current Pathfinder is a relative sales failure in Canada. Maybe the new one helps a little bit.

Overall, I feel indifferent to it. Like I would not even go to test drive it. They need to do more, Nissan is in trouble.

Edited for typos.
I would not have known this as I see a lot of Pathfinders on the road. Hopefully, with the redesign and non-CVT engine, the chances could change. It seems this Pathfinder is more family-friendly with the second-row seats being able to fully tilt and slide forward with a child seat attached. This is only seen in the Pacifica or Atlas or CX-9 but only on the passenger side. Another thing is, with the seats down, you can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood which is very hard to do, outside the full SUV segment. The interesting thing is the 3-row crossover is quite competitive with the Telluride and sister Palisade being the bar to meet or beat.