Real Estate

Redfin Launches in Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2019 12:33 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13405 posts
9314 upvotes
joepipe wrote: I am actually neither, Im just not a raving permabull like some people on RFD who get psychotically mad if anyone debates that RE prices will go down temporarily....

I have bought and sold RE , and I sold in spring 2017 when the peak was obvious ....

but yes this market should be 100% TRANSPARENT and about fairness and true data ...

not the lies TREB was putting out to the MSM every month , for years.....

Can't think of anyone who has argued against that. The thing is the Bears here go to the extreme.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5768 posts
2932 upvotes
Thornhill
1cat2dogs wrote: ... And to suggest that others have tried to disrupt and failed, so there must be something right about the space - LOL !!!!
That’s an interesting retort 1cat2dogs.

One of the oft repeated criticisms of our industry (I think you’re a member, is that correct?), is that we make misrepresentations that mislead and therefore misinforms the general public. And rightly so in far too many aspects because one of the fundamental underlying tenets necessary to serve our clients well and keep them from making regrettable and detrimental decisions is attention to detail. Misrepresentations are only made for two reasons -either because that attention to detail is lacking or it’s intentional.

Below is my post in full. It is a factual representation of models that have entered the industry but nowhere in there do I even remotely suggest any such thing or comment about what’s right or what’s wrong about 'the space', as your retort claims.

So tell me please, why did you misrepresent my comment?
I wrote:Zillow's model isn't new to Canada much less Ontario.

Realtysellers started it almost 2 decades ago - and failed
Zoocasa, backed by deep pockets tried it - and failed
The Redpin, which was pegged as an amazing new type of brokerage that would so disrupt the industry things would never be the same tried it - and failed

As have many others.

What people don't understand is that the U.S Mls system is not like Canada's it is fractured into dozens and realtor.com isn't even industry owned so Zillow's will have to be able to compete with a national realtor.ca to survive here and it won't. Plus, Zillow's market share in the U.S is dependent on Realtors posting their listings and paying for Zillow to actually sell it back to them, yes that's correct, despite what Zillow claim,s this is laid bare on Realtor groups of thousands I follow where the running jokes are the way out of whack zestimates and how Zillow advertises properties for sale that aren't for sale. But as with Zoocasa, there will always be Realtors who think that unless they pay a service to promote the very listings they give them for free, they won't get anywhere.

The industry has supposedly been undergoing industry altering disruptions for decades, starting with the offering of co-operating commissions, then the creation of buyer agency by the courts, The nail in the coffin was supposedly when the MLS system went live on the internet, then the nail became the for sale by owner entry, then for sure the death of Realtors was when fsbo were allowed on the MLS and,yet, here we are and none of the disrupters have prevailed.

I recognize that Real estate industry bashing is allowed to be major sport here on RFD but it's interesting to note that there were many RFDers who also bashed the industry apparently decided to get into the business under the supposed pretext of doing for themselves or friends and family yet none that I've seen have opted to make posts as a Realtor under their previously known ID. They have caused the numbers to swell to that 50 thousand plus and they too now become the target of bashing that paints everyone as the same.

So, I'd like to hear what a few of those RFDers cum registrants have to say as to whether or not they think they helped to clean up the industry, what they have done to clean it up and how it feels to be lumped into one by those in here still criticizing the industry especially by those who bash it but clearly do not understand how it works.

Any such person care to speak up?
Mar 13, 2017
984 posts
1155 upvotes
licenced wrote: That’s an interesting retort 1cat2dogs.

One of the oft repeated criticisms of our industry (I think you’re a member, is that correct?), is that we make misrepresentations that mislead and therefore misinforms the general public. And rightly so in far too many aspects because one of the fundamental underlying tenets necessary to serve our clients well and keep them from making regrettable and detrimental decisions is attention to detail. Misrepresentations are only made for two reasons -either because that attention to detail is lacking or it’s intentional.

Below is my post in full. It is a factual representation of models that have entered the industry but nowhere in there do I even remotely suggest any such thing or comment about what’s right or what’s wrong about 'the space', as your retort claims.

So tell me please, why did you misrepresent my comment?
No, I'm not a realtor.

My comments are responsive to the flow / theme of your post. However, if I've misinterpreted, may you please clarify.

It's either:
(1) disruptors fail b/c there's something(s) right going on with the industry, or;
(2) disruptors fail b/c there's something(s) wrong going on with the industry

If you're waiving off (1), are you acknowledging (2) ?
Nov 22, 2017
641 posts
371 upvotes
Redfin isn't doing anything special but it's a step in the right direction. Too many cartel industries in this country make it bad for business.