• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2018 10:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1384 posts
2841 upvotes

Redmi Note 4 micro USB port issue

Yesterday I noticed that wireless connection dropped a couple of times but is working now . I never had an issue before with this phone. The other issue that has developed that is a bigger concern at the moment is that the micro usb charging port has become "sloppy" and will not charge and connects and disconnects when I plug into a computer to transfer files. As there is no support for Xiaomi phones in Canada warranty repair I think means to send back to China but I haven't checked. This option doesn't appeal to me for a few reasons. I suspect that at minimum I would need to open the case and re solder the usb port although I can't be sure that this will solve the problem. I also did a quick search on ebay and there are various charging port docks connector cables etc. available. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... Note%25204 . Of course these also come from China and there would probably be at least a month to wait. Not sure if the Note 4 shares the same part as the Note 4 X and want to get the right part if I go that route. Has anyone else had similar issues? How did you resolve them? Looking for input, suggestions, fixes, temp fixes etc.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
19331 posts
6679 upvotes
Toronto
If the cable is loose when connected to the USB port, you could try using pliers to carefully pinch the metal frame around the port back together.

I have a Nexus 7 where the cable was loose whenever connected to the charging cable. I removed the back casing and squeezed the two metal pieces back together and the cable now sits tightly in place.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7811 posts
1913 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
How long have you had the phone?
And how did you decide the problem was the connector on the phone and not the USB cable.

Also I read on another RFD post that there are a number of places in Toronto/Mississauga that repair Redmi phones
Last edited by krs on Jun 6th, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
528 upvotes
Can you rule out the USB cable? A few months ago I got a couple of inexpensive cables and one of them worked no problem, the other one would drop/reconnect constantly so I had to toss it as it was useless.