• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2020 3:13 pm
Tags:
45 replies
Mar 25, 2009
942 posts
454 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP. Still using Reeder 3 and really like it. Didn’t see the point paying $7 to upgrade but I’ll take FREE any day.
Sep 17, 2018
19 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver, British C…
News Reader...what will I use this for? can someone tell me more about how I can benefit from this download :)
speedyantoine
Apr 9, 2019
27 posts
8 upvotes
You can set up feeds for anything, like this forum, for example, to send you push notifications or just have a list of articles. I have it so I can see what new things come up here in Hot Deals, as well as some others.
Jun 6, 2017
187 posts
128 upvotes
speedyantoine wrote: News Reader...what will I use this for? can someone tell me more about how I can benefit from this download :)
Some sites have RSS feeds. It’s a way for them to list all the latest articles they’ve published on a topic in one place, updated live. Other apps (like reeder) can use this info.

For example if I want to follow the Canucks and Oilers only, I can put the .RSS feed addresses from CBC.ca/Canucks and cbc.ca/oilers into Reeder. Now Reeder will show me the latest articles from CBC’s Canucks and Oilers coverage in one place.

Personally I use an RSS reader to get notifications of all the podcasts I like. There are 50, so I get a notification every time one of them publishes a new episode, and can choose to go download it.
Last edited by tsx612 on Aug 13th, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 12, 2011
31 posts
48 upvotes
Victoria
Thanks OP.

I probably won’t switch from Feedly ( great UI and the free plan is more than enough).

Who else misses google reader?
Mar 25, 2009
942 posts
454 upvotes
Toronto
speedyantoine wrote: News Reader...what will I use this for? can someone tell me more about how I can benefit from this download :)
I can’t imagine reading this RFD hot deals forum without my RSS reader. Once you get used to it you won’t go back
Aug 30, 2019
814 posts
634 upvotes
Brampton
Thanks op. Did not know about this at all.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1249 posts
1850 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Ty op, I bought the iOS version but not Mac OS so this is nice.
Jul 13, 2013
898 posts
668 upvotes
Thanks OP, have wanted a solid RSS reader for quite some time and you can’t beat free.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1249 posts
1850 upvotes
Canada, eh?
dealdealboss wrote: Thanks OP.

I probably won’t switch from Feedly ( great UI and the free plan is more than enough).

I use Feedly then have it linked to Reeder. Love the Reeder UI more.
But ya Google Reader was the best.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2828 posts
470 upvotes
North York
redsflagsdeal wrote: You can set up feeds for anything, like this forum, for example, to send you push notifications or just have a list of articles. I have it so I can see what new things come up here in Hot Deals, as well as some others.
Sounds good. Can you be more explicit about how to set it up to 'hot deals" on rfd? A true Noob here.
Sep 12, 2018
48 posts
63 upvotes
mcfrugal wrote: I can’t imagine reading this RFD hot deals forum without my RSS reader. Once you get used to it you won’t go back
Could you please point me on how to do that, i found an editorial rss feed at the bottom of the forum page, is that what you are talking about ?
No external links in sigs - Mods
Jan 27, 2009
188 posts
165 upvotes
Ottawa
I had just caved and paid for the iOS version a few weeks ago. But Mac version for free is a huge win, thanks!

Reeder 4 iOS is much easier for reading webcomics. Double tap to zoom on images works.
Darryl
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2011
1814 posts
347 upvotes
Toronto
Same here - is there different fees for freebies vs expired va hot deals?

Seem to only able to add one for hot deals and one for latest deals in Toronto
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/feed - any forum?
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/feed/forum/9 - hot deal?

How’s compare to Inoreader free account for iOS?
Last edited by azybcxrfd on Aug 13th, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 9, 2019
27 posts
8 upvotes
sheriffabc wrote: Sounds good. Can you be more explicit about how to set it up to 'hot deals" on rfd? A true Noob here.
I dont use Reeder as Im on Android, but I guess the steps would be similar for any RSS feed reader. There will probably be an option to search for feeds when you set up. Just search for redflagdeals and you'll see different option, one of them being Hot Deals. If you're interested in other forums you can add those too. All the added feeds' posts, such as this thread, will show up on your main screen which you can now flag read or starred. It makes it easier for you to keep track of threads you are interested in and swipe away the ones you aren't.
Apr 9, 2019
27 posts
8 upvotes
azybcxrfd wrote: Same here - is there different fees for freebies vs expired va hot deals?

Seem to only able to add one for hot deals and one for latest deals in Toronto
If you can't find the feed by searching, you can add them manually. The diagonal WiFi looking symbol at the bottom of the forum (third in the list of twitter, facebook, feed, email?, and phone?). Copy the url that it leads to paste it in the manual add input.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1727 posts
644 upvotes
Toronto
dealdealboss wrote: Thanks OP.

Yup, used to use Reeder and Google Reader back in the day. Now that I’m with Feedly I probably wouldn’t switch either.
Mar 25, 2009
942 posts
454 upvotes
Toronto
Mastergenius wrote: Could you please point me on how to do that, i found an editorial rss feed at the bottom of the forum page, is that what you are talking about ?
1) Install the Reeder app 2) come back to this forum 3) Scroll to the bottom 4) click on the RSS button that looks like a WiFi symbol 5) confirm to add feed to reeder