Home & Garden

Are the reel lawn mowers over priced ? Cheapest $90 while B&D Electrical 3-1 Trimmer/Lawn Edger/Push Mower is $138

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2021 9:56 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2020 posts
342 upvotes
East York, ON

Are the reel lawn mowers over priced ? Cheapest $90 while B&D Electrical 3-1 Trimmer/Lawn Edger/Push Mower is $138

This is the cheapest reel lawn mower on Amazon -currently out of stock

I find the B&D 3- in 1 much more complex and useful and I can't understand why the price is so high for the reel ones
Lots of crazy 💡
13 replies
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1646 upvotes
Clarington, ON
That b&d is interesting.

Check Kijiji/marketplace. I bought my Lee valley 20" reel for a song and a dance.

It's my go to for the front lawn, although I also have a honda with the quadracut blades that hits the front occasionally.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2020 posts
342 upvotes
East York, ON
KevinM56081 wrote: That b&d is interesting.

Check Kijiji/marketplace. I bought my Lee valley 20" reel for a song and a dance.

It's my go to for the front lawn, although I also have a honda with the quadracut blades that hits the front occasionally.
I need a solution for a narrow strip along my patio. I could run the electrical there but then the clips fly all over the place and I need to use a blower to clean the patio
Lots of crazy 💡
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2020 posts
342 upvotes
East York, ON
The B&D is not fantastic
see ho it works with the tall grass in this corner

I don't think that the reel one would do a better job either for tall grass and the first pass but notice how she has to go two three times over the same patch
Lots of crazy 💡
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2020 posts
342 upvotes
East York, ON
I just realized that she was handling it like it was a vacuum :-))
this guy is going slower with better results
Lots of crazy 💡
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6799 posts
3083 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Reel mowers don't work well with wet and/or long grass. You need to mow often during growing season.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3522 posts
2516 upvotes
Toronto
The B&D is a weed wacker with training wheels.

I'd grab one from Lee Valley. When I did have grass 20 years ago, it was our choice. But then we got smart and chucked the sod and just put gardens everywhere.

If your lawn is small enough for a reel mower, then your lawn is likely small enough to be gotten rid of altogether. Problem solved.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10615 posts
5920 upvotes
Paris
Reel mowers at Lee Valley were $200+ when I looked a few years ago for the cottage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2020 posts
342 upvotes
East York, ON
They are like 130 now
@torontotim That is just a strip along the patio, getting rid of it and planting anything else would clutter the area.
I did diminish the lawn as much as I could but I can't say it was a time saver. I have sedums and hen and chicken and other rock garden plants but the weeds are still showing up and you need to manually remove them
Unless you make it an all stone backyard or you put a swimming pool there the problem will persist
The backyard is to large for that
Lots of crazy 💡
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1744 posts
834 upvotes
GTA
I had a Gardena reel mower before and even though it had the free spinning blades, it didn't work if the grass was even medium long. You literally have to mow every week or else it's totally useless. That B&D one is a string trimmer with wheels and clearly doesn't work well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6799 posts
3083 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
exrcoupe wrote: I had a Gardena reel mower before and even though it had the free spinning blades, it didn't work if the grass was even medium long. You literally have to mow every week or else it's totally useless.
As above. A reel mower action is like a scissors (or shears) if you look at it carefully (vs. brute-force chopping of a regular mower). If the grass is old and tough, and/or just too much, it doesn't cut well if at all. Best on tender, young grass.

I had a Great States or a Great American mower (from Rona pre-Lowe's). They're fine.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2020 posts
342 upvotes
East York, ON
ok this is a new one
They say that the push ones are not very effective because they do not have the air suction feature that a gas or electric propelled one have
This mode is push in but it still tries to compensate that
Your text to link here...
Lots of crazy 💡
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2020 posts
342 upvotes
East York, ON
Bought the Rona cheapest model and I am very happy with it. For the small area that I need to do it takes about 2-3 minutes. I have had very young grass seeded in March and this was its first blade ...worked like a charm. Silent and quick. I think the blades will last a long time with such a low utilization ...
Lots of crazy 💡
Dec 26, 2012
343 posts
287 upvotes
Hamilton
I moved into my place in september and i found that exact B&D one in my basement. It seemed cool but it didn't work at all. it seemed to be broken.