Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2264 posts
122 upvotes

Refashioning solid wood desk into dining table

I have a solid oak wood work desk with a 1.5" thickness, kinda like the executive size, red stained, but I was thinking of making the top of it into a restained walnut color dining table. The lengths are concave downwards. Is it worth it to do this?

I'm wondering if the labor of transporting a huge hunk of wood, restaining it and making it into a dining table is worth it.

Or should I just donate it, and buy a dining table on my own?

Thanks
3 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4232 posts
876 upvotes
Ottawa
If the desk size is wide enough to accommodate place settings on both sides with room to spare for food, then sure. What did you have in mind for the legs?
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12631 posts
2720 upvotes
Toronto
Can you post a picture?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7136 posts
2749 upvotes
GTA
aokec wrote: I have a solid oak wood work desk with a 1.5" thickness, kinda like the executive size, red stained, but I was thinking of making the top of it into a restained walnut color dining table. The lengths are concave downwards. Is it worth it to do this?

I'm wondering if the labor of transporting a huge hunk of wood, restaining it and making it into a dining table is worth it.
Depends where you have to transport it to I would say....and if you would enjoy a project like this? Its not really difficult to remove the old finish on a flat surface....get a decent scraper and remove as much of the finish as possible and then progress through grits (say 80-150-220) with a random orbital sander.

Get a friend with a router to put a new edge on the convex edge of the old desktop rather than sanding....take him 10 minutes in your backyard. I always do that when refinishing a table top, it removes any damaged areas and is a hell of a lot easier on the fingers than sanding ornate shapes :)

Consider you might need more oak for a table skirt/crossmembers etc when you're dismantling that desk. Here's a supplier of turned table legs/pedestals...or look for someone local with a lathe. Could always go with square legs; even tapered....the turned legs would add a lot to the finished look IMO.

http://www.woodturners.net/ca/catalogue ... 99e287daac

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)