• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2018 11:53 pm
[OP]
Jun 19, 2017
10 posts
Toronto

Referral of second opinion from Princess Margaret hospital needed

Hi Everyone,

Just want to ask if anyone knew a good doctor at Princess Margaret Hospital for Colon/Gastrointestinal Cancer? My mom was diagnosed with 2nd/3rd stage colon cancer late last year at Sunnybrook, she went through surgery and the doctor took out her tumor. However, few months ago they found a shadow on her liver. They tried to treat her with gel needle injection. Because of her kidney not functioning properly along with other side effects, the doctors decided to stop the treatment after 3 months. They want to wait and see if the injection was effective. Last week, the doctor told us that the size increased and concluded that the treatment not effective. They said they cannot do anything and no medication or anything for her to take. My mom was very devastated and asked if she can continue with the gel injection. They finally agreed to start the gel injection again soon. I'm still worry if they will change their mind or don't give her the gel injection or it doesn't work at all! A friend was telling me to find second opinion. Heard that Princess Margaret Hospital is good at treating cancer, Just want to ask if anyone knew a good doctor at the hospital for referral? It is for Gastrointestinal cancer.

Thank you very much for your help!!

Question10101
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1561 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto
I don't have an answer for you but I just want to send my well wishes to your mom and I hope everything works out.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4776 posts
325 upvotes
Ancaster
question10101 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 1:50 am
Hi Everyone,

Just want to ask if anyone knew a good doctor at Princess Margaret Hospital for Colon/Gastrointestinal Cancer? My mom was diagnosed with 2nd/3rd stage colon cancer late last year at Sunnybrook, she went through surgery and the doctor took out her tumor. However, few months ago they found a shadow on her liver. They tried to treat her with gel needle injection. Because of her kidney not functioning properly along with other side effects, the doctors decided to stop the treatment after 3 months. They want to wait and see if the injection was effective. Last week, the doctor told us that the size increased and concluded that the treatment not effective. They said they cannot do anything and no medication or anything for her to take. My mom was very devastated and asked if she can continue with the gel injection. They finally agreed to start the gel injection again soon. I'm still worry if they will change their mind or don't give her the gel injection or it doesn't work at all! A friend was telling me to find second opinion. Heard that Princess Margaret Hospital is good at treating cancer, Just want to ask if anyone knew a good doctor at the hospital for referral? It is for Gastrointestinal cancer.

Thank you very much for your help!!

Question10101

PMH is a major oncology centre in downtown Toronto. Both Sunnybrook and PMH are affiliated with Univ. of Toronto, so they're quite similar in that vein (I don't know if you see that as a positive or negative).

Just ask your treating oncologist for the referral. They will understand. Make it clear that you're happy with the care, but that you just want to have all possible options explored.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13123 posts
1664 upvotes
My best wishes to your mom and strength to you and your family.
Jul 29, 2013
796 posts
428 upvotes
Sorry to hear about your Mom. I went through a similar experience with my Mother. This is a stressful time for your family.
Hoping you find the answer to your question about alternate therapy.