• Oct 17th, 2020 9:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 15, 2012
620 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto

Refill/replace toner for printer

would be cheaper to refill/replace my toner cartridge or get a new printer?

If so where?? I'm in Toronto, and got a Samsung toner printer
17 replies
Sep 14, 2012
642 posts
360 upvotes
Montreal, QC
How much printing do you do per month?

If you do 15 pages or under per month, you might consider getting one of the HP instant ink printer that has a 15 free page per month for life.

The way it works is that as long as you print under 15 pages per month, it is free. The printer must be connected to the internet since it communicates with HP and when ink toner cartridge is running low, it will send a message to HP and you should receive the replacement ink cartridge(s) for free before your ink in your printer actually runs out.

Please note that only SOME HP Instant ink printers offer the 15 pages for free per month for life subscription option.

If you wind up using more than 15 page in a given month, you pay ~$1 for every 10 pages (this isn't pro-rated so if you print an extra page, it will cost you the same as if you print an extra 9 pages).

Finally, if you decide to cancel your subscription for whatever reason (ex: you picked a higher page/month subscription model), the existing ink in your printer becomes useless and you will need to replace it immediately with the non-subscription model of the ink cartridges.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6103 posts
1400 upvotes
Richmond Hill
misterlamed wrote: would be cheaper to refill/replace my toner cartridge or get a new printer?

Search for generic ones on amazon
[OP]
Dec 15, 2012
620 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
lmcjipo wrote: How much printing do you do per month?

If you do 15 pages or under per month, you might consider getting one of the HP instant ink printer that has a 15 free page per month for life.

The way it works is that as long as you print under 15 pages per month, it is free. The printer must be connected to the internet since it communicates with HP and when ink toner cartridge is running low, it will send a message to HP and you should receive the replacement ink cartridge(s) for free before your ink in your printer actually runs out.

Please note that only SOME HP Instant ink printers offer the 15 pages for free per month for life subscription option.

If you wind up using more than 15 page in a given month, you pay ~$1 for every 10 pages (this isn't pro-rated so if you print an extra page, it will cost you the same as if you print an extra 9 pages).

Finally, if you decide to cancel your subscription for whatever reason (ex: you picked a higher page/month subscription model), the existing ink in your printer becomes useless and you will need to replace it immediately with the non-subscription model of the ink cartridges.
WHOA WHAT I JUST HEARD OF THIS NOW! WHAT IS THE CHEAPEST HP INSTANT INK PRINTER WITH 15 PAGES FOR LIFE?! I print scarcely just some return labels here and there and documents here and there. When i had a job i printed stuff there but now being laid off and all yeah...
Sep 14, 2012
642 posts
360 upvotes
Montreal, QC
misterlamed wrote: WHOA WHAT I JUST HEARD OF THIS NOW! WHAT IS THE CHEAPEST HP INSTANT INK PRINTER WITH 15 PAGES FOR LIFE?! I print scarcely just some return labels here and there and documents here and there. When i had a job i printed stuff there but now being laid off and all yeah...
I don't know which is the least expensive printer that offers the 15 pages for life (and it is for the life of the printer of course) but you can try this page https://instantink.hpconnected.com/ca/e ... ter_series

Generally, it is the lower end printers that offer that 15 pages for free per month so if the printer series has 10 models and the lowest number model of that series doesn't have the 15 pages per free option, don't bother looking at the higher models in the same series.

I have the HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 and it didn't have the 15 pages per month for free. I tried the 50 pages per month subscription package and found that I was just printing for the sake of printing my ~50 pages in that month so I was printing things like photos that I had taken just for the sake of using up the ~50 pages that month and not really because I wanted a physical copy of the photo that I took instead of just looking at the digital photo that I took. For example, I took a picture of the Hollywood sign in Los Angeles... did I really need a physical copy of that photo? Not really but printed it and put it in my photo album binder anyways. I subsequently cancelled my subscription after a few months and of course the ink cartridge regardless of the ink level in the cartridge stops working as it is tied to the subscription.

One thing that I've heard is that the printers that have the 15 pages for free subscription option are cheaply made and "designed to fail" after the warranty period. Since I don't own one of those, I can't attest to it but my HP Officejet Pro 8610 has been working fine for over 5 years now without any issues even though I consider the construction to be somewhat "cheaply made"
Sep 14, 2012
642 posts
360 upvotes
Montreal, QC
yesstyle wrote: Search for generic ones on amazon
Some generic ones won't work since some printer manufacturers have put computer chips into their ink cartridges what will check the authenticity of the cartridge before allowing you to use it.

Printer manufacturers generally make very little money on the ink jet printer itself (sometimes maybe losing money on it). They make their money on the ink cartridges that they sell. You can sometimes find that it is cheaper to purchase a new printer on sale than purchase the cartridges for the printer (and you get a new printer's warranty with the price of the new printer instead of using your existing printer).

Printer ink in the printer manufacturer's cartridges is probably the most expensive liquid in the world. It is more expensive than gasoline/fuel. For me to purchase 4 ink jet cartridges in XL format (black, cyan, magenta, and yellow) for my printer, will cost me around $200 if I remember correctly. Luckily I don't have to do this regularly. Based on my photocopying/printing with my printer, I do this maybe once a year or so.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6103 posts
1400 upvotes
Richmond Hill
misterlamed wrote:
WHOA WHAT I JUST HEARD OF THIS NOW! WHAT IS THE CHEAPEST HP INSTANT INK PRINTER WITH 15 PAGES FOR LIFE?! I print scarcely just some return labels here and there and documents here and there. When i had a job i printed stuff there but now being laid off and all yeah...
lmcjipo wrote: Some generic ones won't work since some printer manufacturers have put computer chips into their ink cartridges what will check the authenticity of the cartridge before allowing you to use it.

Printer manufacturers generally make very little money on the ink jet printer itself (sometimes maybe losing money on it). They make their money on the ink cartridges that they sell. You can sometimes find that it is cheaper to purchase a new printer on sale than purchase the cartridges for the printer (and you get a new printer's warranty with the price of the new printer instead of using your existing printer).

Printer ink in the printer manufacturer's cartridges is probably the most expensive liquid in the world. It is more expensive than gasoline/fuel. For me to purchase 4 ink jet cartridges in XL format (black, cyan, magenta, and yellow) for my printer, will cost me around $200 if I remember correctly. Luckily I don't have to do this regularly. Based on my photocopying/printing with my printer, I do this maybe once a year or so.
true but depends on how old OP's printer is. OP, what is your printer model #?
[OP]
Dec 15, 2012
620 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
yesstyle wrote: true but depends on how old OP's printer is. OP, what is your printer model #?
Samsung ML-191x 252x Series like 5+ years ago probably.
Nov 1, 2001
881 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
lmcjipo wrote: I don't know which is the least expensive printer that offers the 15 pages for life (and it is for the life of the printer of course) but you can try this page https://instantink.hpconnected.com/ca/e ... ter_series

Generally, it is the lower end printers that offer that 15 pages for free per month so if the printer series has 10 models and the lowest number model of that series doesn't have the 15 pages per free option, don't bother looking at the higher models in the same series.

I have the HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 and it didn't have the 15 pages per month for free. I tried the 50 pages per month subscription package and found that I was just printing for the sake of printing my ~50 pages in that month so I was printing things like photos that I had taken just for the sake of using up the ~50 pages that month and not really because I wanted a physical copy of the photo that I took instead of just looking at the digital photo that I took. For example, I took a picture of the Hollywood sign in Los Angeles... did I really need a physical copy of that photo? Not really but printed it and put it in my photo album binder anyways. I subsequently cancelled my subscription after a few months and of course the ink cartridge regardless of the ink level in the cartridge stops working as it is tied to the subscription.

One thing that I've heard is that the printers that have the 15 pages for free subscription option are cheaply made and "designed to fail" after the warranty period. Since I don't own one of those, I can't attest to it but my HP Officejet Pro 8610 has been working fine for over 5 years now without any issues even though I consider the construction to be somewhat "cheaply made"
my printer is eligible for the 15 a month. how doe this work? they mail me the cartridge, i install and it counts how many pages i print? what's the catch? when i cancel are there extra fees? how does the print cartrige stop working when i cancel?
Sep 14, 2012
642 posts
360 upvotes
Montreal, QC
ranjeet2000 wrote: my printer is eligible for the 15 a month. how doe this work? they mail me the cartridge, i install and it counts how many pages i print? what's the catch? when i cancel are there extra fees? how does the print cartrige stop working when i cancel?
It works exactly as you've stated. They mail you the cartridge(s). You install it and your printer must be connected to the internet when printing/copying. It counts the number of pages that you print and you get charged extra if you exceed the amount in your plan. If I remember correctly, you are charged extra per 10 pages so even if you are over by 1 page, you pay the same amount as if you were over by 10 pages. There is no catch. As long as you continue your subscription, you should never run out of ink at inopportune moments since you should get a new cartridge before your ink runs out unless in a particular month, you have a very large amount of printing that you do. As long as you don't print/copy more than what your subscription entitles you to print/copy, you don't pay anything more than your subscription price. If you print less or don't print at all that month, you still pay your subscription price. There were times when I didn't really need something printed and printed it anyways since my subscription included a certain number of print-outs.

My HP printer wasn't eligible for the 15 pages per month for free plan so I'm going by memory for the 50 pages per month subscription plan.

While your printer is connected to the internet, it will also communicate with HP telling HP when you are running low on ink and then they will mail you replacement ink cartridge(s). You should receive these replacement cartridge(s) before your cartridge(s) actually run out of ink (unless there is something wrong with the postal service).

If you cancel, there aren't any fees that I remember.

Your printer cartridge stops working after you cancel since in order to copy/print, the printer needs to be connected to the internet so it knows that you've cancelled and I believe that the cartridges have some sort of computer chip or other identification on it so it recognizes it as "subscription cartridges" and not "regular cartridges" that you might purchase at Staples or Bureau En Gros. This means even if they just mailed you a fresh new set of cartridges and you insert it into your printer, if you immediately cancel your subscription, the cartridges even though they are still "filled" with ink will refuse to print.

I've heard that the printers which are eligible for the 15 pages free per month plan are cheaply made so after the warranty runs out, you might need a new printer. Since I don't have one of the "15 pages per month for free" printers, I can't attest to what I've heard.

My HP printer which isn't eligible for the 15 free pages per month plan has been going strong for probably over 8 years and I cancelled the 50 sheets per month plan after a few months since as I mentioned, I was printing for the sake of printing since I had 50 sheets to use that month and often didn't really want/need a hard copy of a photo that I printed.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4071 posts
2343 upvotes
Gotham
misterlamed wrote: would be cheaper to refill/replace my toner cartridge or get a new printer?

Buy generic toner on amazon or aliexpress and refill the cartridge yourself. I have a Brother printer that is almost ten years old and I've only bought toner once (in 2016) for about $8. I've been refilling the starter cartridge that came with the printer. No issues except the printer has low toner message permanently. There's probably a way to reset it but it isn't really necessary.

Here you go, $7 for 80g of black powder in a bag from China. Sounds sketch, but the price is right! Face With Tears Of Joy

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000387939975.html
[OP]
Dec 15, 2012
620 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
batcave wrote: Buy generic toner on amazon or aliexpress and refill the cartridge yourself. I have a Brother printer that is almost ten years old and I've only bought toner once (in 2016) for about $8. I've been refilling the starter cartridge that came with the printer. No issues except the printer has low toner message permanently. There's probably a way to reset it but it isn't really necessary.

Here you go, $7 for 80g of black powder in a bag from China. Sounds sketch, but the price is right! Face With Tears Of Joy

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000387939975.html
but the problem is I don't know how to refill it :/