• Feb 3rd, 2021 11:00 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 9, 2010
951 posts
243 upvotes
Edmonton, Alberta

refinance auto loan?

In 2018 my wife and I bought a barely-used Sorento SUV through a Kia dealer, and the dealer set up 60-month financing at 4.99% through RBC. There's a little over $15,000 left on the loan. With interest rates so low, should I be refinancing this loan? If so, I've never done this before--how would I even go about it, and who would I contact? Would I talk to RBC, or a different lender, or....?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5626 posts
1346 upvotes
you cannot really refinance the car loan (feasibly)
you can consider getting a line of credit and paying off the loan - but again not a huge savings in rates

if you have a secured line of credit -- that would be some savings
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7960 posts
3246 upvotes
Financial District B…
canadave wrote: In 2018 my wife and I bought a barely-used Sorento SUV through a Kia dealer, and the dealer set up 60-month financing at 4.99% through RBC. There's a little over $15,000 left on the loan. With interest rates so low, should I be refinancing this loan? If so, I've never done this before--how would I even go about it, and who would I contact? Would I talk to RBC, or a different lender, or....?
When it comes to auto finance rates there's only two categorical qualifiers - new and used.
That car may have been 'barely used' when you bought it but it will surely be classified as a 'used' auto if you choose to refinance or seek alternative secured financing at another lender for it.
Your current rate is right within the average rate for used auto financing. With your disclosed balance you would not save much to have it refinanced at either same FI or another FI.
Note, if you choose to refinance at another FI you will be subject to new PPSA registration fees.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25348 posts
4456 upvotes
Unless you have a secured line of credit you can put it on, you're not going to be able to do much of anything. Most unsecured LOC's don't offer much better rates, if at all, then you currently have on the vehicle.