• Feb 4th, 2019 3:12 pm
[OP]
Apr 3, 2013
991 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto

Refrigerator delivery damage

Hi all,

Just got a top-mounted refrigerator delivered. The delivery people (what are you supposed to call them, couriers?) damaged the rear metal panel.
There is a large perforation (triangular in shape, around 3cm in width). The metal edges are sharp, but since it's in the rear, that's probably okay.
However, the foam-like insulation material is exposed. Should I be concerned about this? Or could I just slap on a piece of duct tape and call it a day?

I've also read a bit into the fire hazards because of the insulation material used, but I'm not sure if that matters in this case.
If it's purely a cosmetic issue and won't affect functionality, I'll probably just leave it as is.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
6827 posts
1765 upvotes
Maple
You can refuse the item, too late for that. Definitely call in to report the problem ASAP.
[OP]
Apr 3, 2013
991 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto
teoconca wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 8:20 pm
You can refuse the item, too late for that. Definitely call in to report the problem ASAP.
I still have a certain timeframe to refuse the item.
But I'd like to get an opinion from somebody more knowledgeable on whether or not the damage is purely cosmetic. Only concerned about if functionality or lifespan could be compromised by this type of damage.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2015 posts
567 upvotes
Whitby
Injust wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 8:32 pm
I still have a certain timeframe to refuse the item.
But I'd like to get an opinion from somebody more knowledgeable on whether or not the damage is purely cosmetic. Only concerned about if functionality or lifespan could be compromised by this type of damage.
You are asking us if the damage is purely cosmetic.....that is very tough to determine without seeing the damage. Perhaps you should post a picture so that we have a better idea as to the nature of the damage.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1336 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
If the fridge function is not impacted, you can call the store you purchased it from and get them to give you some discount as compensation for the damage. Same happened for my fridge and stove delivery. Stove needed to be replaced but fridge damage was on side panel and hard to see behind cabinet so I just accepted $100 of as compensation for damage.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6216 posts
2499 upvotes
Alberta
When I changed out my hot water tank. The delivery guys put a small dent in it. Looks like crap because it was on the side facing out. I called to complain but they wouldn't do anything and said that it was only cosmetic. Since it was already in the basement, I just put one kids fridge magnet fish on it. Worked great and actually looks good. lol.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11772 posts
11398 upvotes
Oakville
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2019 10:22 pm
When I changed out my hot water tank. The delivery guys put a small dent in it. Looks like crap because it was on the side facing out. I called to complain but they wouldn't do anything and said that it was only cosmetic. Since it was already in the basement, I just put one kids fridge magnet fish on it. Worked great and actually looks good. lol.
LOL, you should've told them it was for show and the cosmetics mattered to you.

OP, POST A PHOTO!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1649 upvotes
You should refuse delivery but definitely call the place you bought from and ask for another one.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6762 posts
3041 upvotes
Paris
Injust wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 2:52 pm
Here's a photo of the back:
https://i.imgur.com/WQk02tn.jpg
Are the coils on the bottom then? I assume this is cosmetic BUT there would be routing of something in there that got punctured. Can you take the back panel off?

I’d probably look for a discount on it and move on, unless it was $2500+
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
[OP]
Apr 3, 2013
991 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 2:55 pm
Are the coils on the bottom then? I assume this is cosmetic BUT there would be routing of something in there that got punctured. Can you take the back panel off?

I’d probably look for a discount on it and move on, unless it was $2500+
The back panel doesn't come off, at least not easily.
Coils are on the bottom.