• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2019 5:05 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1111 posts
32 upvotes

Refrigerator not working properly

We have a 4 year old Samsung refrigerator RF220NCTASR french doors with bottom freezer that is not working well. We put the fridge part at max temperature and it is only between 6-8 degrees. The freezer seems to be working fine. Before we call someone is there anything we can do to fix the problem?

Thanks.
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6210 posts
2485 upvotes
Alberta
Check the feeezer compartment fan. That’s what blows the cold air into the fridge compartment.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7427 posts
2665 upvotes
Markham
As Jackrabbit is getting at. Check the back of the fridge where the "fan" is and see if there's ICE back there. If yes, you need to thaw out the ice and clear the water tube. You can do this by unplugging the fridge and letting the ice melt (you can help with hair dryer just make sure you move it around)...run water thru there to ensure water is flowing.

This is not your fridge but it explains the problem

We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11340 posts
6149 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
I saw the word 'SAMSUNG' and I left this thread.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7614 posts
1503 upvotes
If you are going to call someone, call Samsung. They have a flat rate out of warranty program that would likely be less than a "repair guy", they will be much more knowledgable about their own products and have more access to their own parts, plus if it is one of their own internal design issue, I read that they may even fit it for free.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5498 posts
1653 upvotes
Space
The problem is, that takes a while. I’m still waiting for Samsung to send me a part. I’ve been given every excuse in the book and it’s been 3 months now. Samsung CS is trash.

hdom wrote:
Mar 6th, 2019 1:10 pm
If you are going to call someone, call Samsung. They have a flat rate out of warranty program that would likely be less than a "repair guy", they will be much more knowledgable about their own products and have more access to their own parts, plus if it is one of their own internal design issue, I read that they may even fit it for free.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
8587 posts
1623 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Is there ice buildup at the back of the fridge? Or water anywhere in the fridge? Is the fan behind the panel in the fridge running?

Our piece of crap Samsung fridge gets ice buildup and every 3 months or so I have to empty it and remove the back panel and get rid of the ice (alternatively I could just let it thaw for a few days but I just want the food back in as soon as possible).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6143 posts
1765 upvotes
Whitby
boneca wrote:
Mar 6th, 2019 10:46 am
We have a 4 year old Samsung refrigerator RF220NCTASR french doors with bottom freezer that is not working well. We put the fridge part at max temperature and it is only between 6-8 degrees. The freezer seems to be working fine. Before we call someone is there anything we can do to fix the problem?
First step is unplug the fridge 24 hours with doors and freezer compartment open (good time for a thorough cleaning) Now check if the evaporator fan comes on and damper/chute is properly in place. If fan isn't coming on check with a meter if its getting power. Here's a useful tech cheat sheet for RF220, I have limited appliance repair experience and found evap fan issue and swapped it out for an RFD member who lives close by. Think we got that fan for $100 at Amre in Scarborough.
https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforum ... 1540312244
Last edited by Zamboni on Mar 7th, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Aug 3, 2005
1235 posts
1155 upvotes
Samsung appliances lol...when will people learn? What will it take for people to stop buying that junk?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2123 posts
1441 upvotes
SW Ontario
ekcivichb wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 9:08 am
Samsung appliances lol...when will people learn? What will it take for people to stop buying that junk?
Marketing ... did you know that Samsung actually pays retailers large money for dedicated floor space, in places like Best Buy, Lowes, The Brick, etc, giving the illusion to shoppers that they are the product to buy since they are so popular in the store?

Twice in recent years, with purchasing a TV and a Refrigerator I have gone to people I've dealt with in the past and have been told this point blank. In both instances, they know if they steer me wrong they hear about it, they have directed me to brands other than Samsung.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7427 posts
2665 upvotes
Markham
Zamboni wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 7:40 am
First step is unplug the fridge 24 hours with doors and freezer compartment open (good time for a thorough cleaning) Now check if the evaporator fan comes on and damper/chute is properly in place. If fan isn't coming on check with a meter if its getting power. Here's a useful tech cheat sheet for RF220, I have limited appliance repair experience and found evap fan issue and swapped it out for an RFD member who lives close by. Think we got that fan for $100 at Arme in Scarborough.
https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforum ... 1540312244
I'd check for ice back there first because if there is that's the issue and the first fix is to get rid of the ice by unplugging and letting it defrost slowly or speeding it up by applying some heat. You could go unplug and wait route because you can use the winter cold air as a fridge right now to hold your food - you can't do that in the summer.

After the ice is gone, you should flush the line as there could be blockage there...just use a stream of water and check underneath to see if it's flowing well.

Under the fridge where the line ends, there could be a possible third issue....there's a U like tube down there which acts like the U trap under your sinks - it blocks hot air going back up into the fridge in this case instead of gases. In my case I had this freezing issue and the manufacturer actually recalled and replaced this U like trap. Perhaps Samsung may have recalled this one as well.

BTW it's not only Samsung appliances that have this problem. Every appliance, every manufacturer has issues....the more you sell the louder the voices are when there are problems and in people's minds, the manufacturer is crap. You have to look at the rate of repairs/problems not the number of people talking. I believe in the last ten years or so, Samsung has sold a lot of stuff as their pricing is good and their products are pretty stylish/feature rich.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6143 posts
1765 upvotes
Whitby
Just remembered I found the foam seal was factory installed blocking most of the plastic duct chute at bottom....probably what caused icing and fan burn out.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5498 posts
1653 upvotes
Space
My washer and dryer set are going on 6 years. My tv lasted about 4 years before needing a small repair. I don’t think Samsung is bad per say but they need to improve their CS experience and part/technician inventory/capabilities. I’m sure for every good review there are 10 bad ones ( for any brand ).
ekcivichb wrote:
Mar 7th, 2019 9:08 am
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1727 posts
736 upvotes
GTA
boneca wrote:

Thanks.
Whats the problem? 6-8 C isnt a bad temperature for a fridge.
Jan 16, 2008
236 posts
70 upvotes
Brampton
boneca wrote:

Thanks.
If the fridge (likely) out of warranty, you could call some local (for me GTA) appliance repair tech to diagnose the problem (about $60 to $100 per visit). If you are one of the DIY, you could order part and replace it yourself.
My (Sams***) fridge behave exact problem, turn-out the fridge fan not working (because of defrosting problem/ice buildup/ defrost water drainage blocked). I order the part (about $80 but have to wait for 5days for delivery) and replaced myself.