Shopping Discussion

Refuel -- Superstore Super Bucks...Changes Are Here !!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 4:04 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 7, 2013
549 posts
285 upvotes

Refuel -- Superstore Super Bucks...Changes Are Here !!!!

A couple of months back Loblaws made some major changes to their price matching policy at my local Super Store...and none of them of course where what we would call..."...consumer friendly..."

Now today....purchasing gas at my local Super Store and logging in with my Presidents Choice Master Card as I've done for the past 4 years or so...

But here comes a "brand new screen" that I've never seen before...it says something about the PC points but I can't figure it out...

So I pump my gas and go inside to talk to the attendant...

She says changes were made today and that the system will now ONLY award PC points at the pump and not Super Bucks...

The Super Bucks are still available but those that want them must, at least at my station keep their credit card in their wallet.... pump their gas and then go into the kiosk to pay with the PC Master card....telling the attendant that you want Super Bucks...

All very confusing !!! And a pain in the arse too...

I had heard about 6 months ago that Loblaws was going to do away with Super Bucks and I believe I posted here about that report...

This may well be their first step in eliminating the program entirely...and may be coming to your local Refuel station too...

BTW I live in S.W. Ontario...
29 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1878 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
Makes sense. It's much more convenient using the PC Plus card than to carry around gas receipts.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
Victoria BC has been PC Plus only for a few months.
Not a huge deal since it's more convenient anyway.
The only thing that sucks is the $20 minimum redemption but considering I've had a bunch of superbucks expire, I'd rather be able to sit on them for longer to save up.
Banned
Jan 12, 2015
4107 posts
27310 upvotes
What if you don't pay with a PC Mastercard but use another credit card, will they still reward SuperBucks?
[OP]
Oct 7, 2013
549 posts
285 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:

The only thing that sucks is the $20 minimum redemption

I hear you so I would use a combination of both...

I would redeem 20-30-40 dollars in PC points and if I had planned well I would have enough Super Bucks to cover the taxes...if any...

In Ontario that's 13 per cent or for example $2.60 on 20 dollars...

So 20 dollars worth of PC points redeemed.......add in $2.60 in Super Bucks and Bob's your uncle !!!!

Can you say FREE ???
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4168 posts
802 upvotes
Richmond
BK2006 wrote: What if you don't pay with a PC Mastercard but use another credit card, will they still reward SuperBucks?
then most likely they'll hand you a pcplus card
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2706 upvotes
ON
I heard loblaw was looking to get out of gas stations entirely, so you have bigger things to worry about if this is your go-to spot.
[OP]
Oct 7, 2013
549 posts
285 upvotes
aqnd wrote: I heard loblaw was looking to get out of gas stations entirely, so you have bigger things to worry about if this is your go-to spot.

YIKES....hadn't heard that....
[OP]
Oct 7, 2013
549 posts
285 upvotes
aqnd wrote:

It's more than just an internet rumour, all major news picked it up.
Hey no kidding....

Thank you for that information...I had missed it entirely...
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1520 posts
653 upvotes
unclefester wrote: A couple of months back Loblaws made some major changes to their price matching policy at my local Super Store...and none of them of course where what we would call..."...consumer friendly..."

Now today....purchasing gas at my local Super Store and logging in with my Presidents Choice Master Card as I've done for the past 4 years or so...

But here comes a "brand new screen" that I've never seen before...it says something about the PC points but I can't figure it out...

So I pump my gas and go inside to talk to the attendant...

She says changes were made today and that the system will now ONLY award PC points at the pump and not Super Bucks...

The Super Bucks are still available but those that want them must, at least at my station keep their credit card in their wallet.... pump their gas and then go into the kiosk to pay with the PC Master card....telling the attendant that you want Super Bucks...

All very confusing !!! And a pain in the arse too...

I had heard about 6 months ago that Loblaws was going to do away with Super Bucks and I believe I posted here about that report...

This may well be their first step in eliminating the program entirely...and may be coming to your local Refuel station too...

BTW I live in S.W. Ontario...
This is just a way of pushing people to the pc plus rather than having the 2 programs, I would guess they will eliminate the superbucks promo very shortly. This way when they do find someone to sell the gas stations to there will only be 1 reward program to deal with.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4328 posts
3774 upvotes
Toronto
I bought gas last night, and got Superbucks printed on my receipt at the pump, same as always. There's an additional screen to tell you to insert your PC Plus card (I don't have it on me, I use the app and display the barcode at checkout), so I just pressed "No PC Plus card". I used a non-PC Mastercard, if it matters.
Banned
Nov 29, 2015
1424 posts
522 upvotes
Brossard, QC
There is no Super Store in my neighborhood. And Petro-Canada is my 1st refuel station because I bought their GC at eBay.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4168 posts
802 upvotes
Richmond
Note that they still offer them if you pay inside at the kiosk. Sounds like a tactic to deter people from making fake superbucks. Lol and this is why we can't have nice things.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4328 posts
3774 upvotes
Toronto
bluebellrose wrote: Note that they still offer them if you pay inside at the kiosk. Sounds like a tactic to deter people from making fake superbucks. Lol and this is why we can't have nice things.
As I mentioned before, I got Superbucks paying at the pump yesterday with my non-PC Mastercard. Worked exactly the same as before, except with an extra screen to bypass if you don't have a PC Plus card.

I suspect this might be an issue for PC Mastercard folks only. Just wanted to clarify.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
3162 posts
1672 upvotes
Now today there was a notice on the pumps that Loblaws has sold the gas bar business and will no longer award PC point for gas!!??
Jun 13, 2017
213 posts
203 upvotes
"The gas stations will continue to allow customers to collect PC® points through Loblaw's PC Plus® loyalty program and by using PC Financial® products."

Stations will be rebranded to Mobil. This will once again put end to gas quality difference rumors at grocers vs brand names.If really worried go to Costco and put 5x detergent once in a while. I do this when superstore increases first when gas goes up.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2011
3162 posts
1672 upvotes
hiddenthread wrote: "The gas stations will continue to allow customers to collect PC® points through Loblaw's PC Plus® loyalty program and by using PC Financial® products."

Stations will be rebranded to Mobil. This will once again put end to gas quality difference rumors at grocers vs brand names.If really worried go to Costco and put 5x detergent once in a while. I do this when superstore increases first when gas goes up.
Thanks - I must have misread the brief notice on the screen at the pump - it only flashed on for a second or 2 and I didn't get time to read the whole thing. Glad they still off the points.
Jun 13, 2017
213 posts
203 upvotes
Sueprstore at least in AB and BC are still the cheapest place to fill up. They are usually 3.5c higher than Costco, but give 7c back by using PCMC, which is a card highly recommended for anyone.

PC plus grocery offers are quite decent as well with several 20% off items I actually buy like vegetables and meats.