[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2009
3275 posts
513 upvotes
Don't be nosey

Refunding Money - Kijiji Policy

Hey all,

I recently sold some furniture on Kijiji and received the payment upfront (I accepted a much lower price than what I listed) to let seller pickup at a later date.

I'm not sure if there's some unwritten policy about returning the money as I received so many better offers and would like to sell to them instead.

Thanks in advance!
68 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
2178 posts
2293 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Technically there is nothing stopping you from refunding the buyers payment and selling it to someone else, but that is a real scumbag move.
😎Thanks RFD😎
May 9, 2010
405 posts
185 upvotes
Ottawa
RunOrDie wrote: Hey all,

I recently sold some furniture on Kijiji and received the payment upfront (I accepted a much lower price than what I listed) to let seller pickup at a later date.

I'm not sure if there's some unwritten policy about returning the money as I received so many better offers and would like to sell to them instead.

Thanks in advance!
Wouldn't that be a douche move? Once you accept an offer it means you're happy with it... If you wanted more you should have refused or countered the offer to begin with. Not accept full payment and now want to sell for more.
Now there may not be a Kijiji policy on this but I would hope your word and integrity would dictate your actions.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5443 posts
2872 upvotes
West Vancouver
blackbirdman wrote: Technically there is nothing stopping you from refunding the buyers payment and selling it to someone else, but that is a real scumbag move.
Agreed.

A real dick move.

You committed. Accept your faith.

Weak...
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14247 posts
9021 upvotes
Markham
OP...put yourself in the shoes of the buyer. You ACCEPT an offer and ACCEPTED the funds so you should fulfill your agreement and wait for pickup. If there was an agreement on pickup time/date and the person can't do it within a reasonable time, you MAY have some reasonable reason for cancelling the deal and refund the money.

BTW there is no KIJII Policy on this.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1137 posts
578 upvotes
not legal advise- not a lawyer but i did read about this before...

actually it may depend on which province you live in, by accepting an offer and receiving payment the buyer could technically go to court and sue you for failing to complete the (verbal) contract. Ofcourse id imagine since you gave the money back the court wouldn't rule any damages id think, unless the buyer could demonstrate the item is unique or other reason for damages.. certainly wouldnt be worth it for a kijiji item, but perhaps if you annoy the right guy he will do so anyways.

But in practice i doubt that would happen.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3606 posts
3790 upvotes
GTA
There's no guarantee that any of the people that made a better offer will actually follow through with the purchase. I've had many people agree to buy something then change their mind or just not show up. They may even show up and after seeing the furniture may back out or offer less after pointing out the "flaws". Also people usually reply to multiple ads and then choose from the sellers that respond.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14247 posts
9021 upvotes
Markham
If the buyer has your contact info and knows where you live...they might not be nice ppl if you know what I mean. Not worth it.

Oct 8, 2020
291 posts
425 upvotes
Ottawa
Also not a lawyer but to echo another poster, I believe there is a binding agreement here. In order for a contract to happen, there's something called "offer and acceptance." In my non-legal opinion, you accepted a lower offer in exchange for guarantee of funds which is a risk you took. Is it against Kijiji policy? No but I believe it's in violation of Canadian contract law. If I was the buyer and you backed out because you continued to shop for higher offers despite me paying you up front in exchange for picking up the item later; I'd be livid.

This really rubs me the wrong way and I'm so happy I'm not the buyer!
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3217 posts
1963 upvotes
SW ON
The OP can do like many online stores do - refund and say it's out of stock. Staples never got in trouble for that.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4474 posts
4642 upvotes
GTA
Yeah OP, I get you found a better 'deal', and you own the item so you have the right to sell to whom you want, but have to agree very skeezy if you refund the money and sell elsewhere. There's a whole thread dedicated to that behaviour...
kijiji-scammers-general-idiots-1399691/
Follow through on your commitment to sell to the deposit buyer, cut your losses on this sale and just price things more appropriately next time.
Also some advice, put first come first served in your ad. This deposit person (or anyone) might not be in a rush to pick up a large item like furniture. Then you're their free storage space until they do...
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3457 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: Yeah OP, I get you found a better 'deal', and you own the item so you have the right to sell to whom you want, but have to agree very skeezy if you refund the money and sell elsewhere. There's a whole thread dedicated to that behaviour...
kijiji-scammers-general-idiots-1399691/
Follow through on your commitment to sell to the deposit buyer, cut your losses on this sale and just price things more appropriately next time.
Also some advice, put first come first served in your ad. This deposit person (or anyone) might not be in a rush to pick up a large item like furniture. Then you're their free storage space until they do...
The buyer paid the full amount upfront not just a deposit so if OP backs out it is a real scumbag move.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6121 posts
2646 upvotes
Debtario
You could say you damaged the furniture while moving it out of your house, and refund the buyer. That should save face and most buyers would be glad to get their money and run at that point.

I do not accept deposits or cash up front, first one with the most cash in hand takes it and takes it on the spot. Otherwise you could be stuck with the item for who knows how long, particularly when it's something large that takes up space. I've heard horror stories about nightmare buyers wanting to pick up at unreasonable times, getting upset and showing up to take their stuff, etc. No time for that.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
4142 posts
2682 upvotes
Vancouver
It’s up to you to decide how much value your word is worth.

For future reference however, I hope you at least put a time limit on how long you are willing to store the items for the buyer. Shorter storage time means less temptation going back on your word not to mention it clears up space in your house.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4474 posts
4642 upvotes
GTA
M1K3Z0R wrote: You could say you damaged the furniture while moving it out of your house, and refund the buyer. That should save face and most buyers would be glad to get their money and run at that point.

I do not accept deposits or cash up front, first one with the most cash in hand takes it and takes it on the spot. Otherwise you could be stuck with the item for who knows how long, particularly when it's something large that takes up space. I've heard horror stories about nightmare buyers wanting to pick up at unreasonable times, getting upset and showing up to take their stuff, etc. No time for that.
The problem I see with saying it got damaged (besides it being a lie) is what if they are cool with some damage as long as you give them a discount? Then you're getting into a whole new kettle of fish. Better to just be a scumbag instead of a lying, conniving, scumbag.
Yup exactly what I meant with not accepting cash up front on something like furniture, or anything for that matter. Many stories of people promising to pick things up, then never show. And now that the OP has the money, buyer might want to come at their convenience.
Another thing to consider since it is furniture OP, the buyer might have to arrange a pickup vehicle and a friend to help them move it. If you cancel the sale, you'll really be giving them a reason to get angry. And if they had to rent a vehicle, you'll also give them a reason to file a small claim suit against you.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14247 posts
9021 upvotes
Markham
M1K3Z0R wrote: You could say you damaged the furniture while moving it out of your house, and refund the buyer. That should save face and most buyers would be glad to get their money and run at that point.

If you take cash or EMT upfront, you just need to establish terms like most be picked up by C date or sale will be cancelled less a % of something. Ppl are generally reasonable if your are clear.

Personally, I have told ppl I'm looking for a better offer but if I don't get one by X day, I will come back to them or I'll say I accept but if I get a matching offer they have to come pickup ASAP or It's given to the other person. Something like that. I try to accomodate within reason.

Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1267 posts
738 upvotes
No one here can tell you what to do, but how would you feel if you prepaid for an item in full, expecting to pick it up soon only to find out it was sold to someone else?

Personally if I'm accepting a payment made in advance, the deal is done - I consider the item non-existent.

You know what will suck even more? If the person who offered you more flakes on you, you will have lost that lead plus the guaranteed one you refunded. Something to think about..
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11260 posts
2307 upvotes
Durham Region
RunOrDie wrote: Hey all,

Thanks in advance!
There is no policy, you agreed and accepted payment from someone, if they haven't picked it up then you could refund the money but it would be a real jerk move. Now, other way around, if you sold something to someone and they wanted their money back, as long as you were honest about any issues with whatever you sold and they're angry about the issues after the fact then too bad. But that's me. Some people will refund the money and take the item back but I personally wouldn't (as long as any issues were explained that is).
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1449 posts
390 upvotes
I'd circle back and see if they can pick it up sooner as a consolation/convenience to you - and reference the increased interest & offers you're getting.

Sometimes this hurries people along and you won't have to think about losing money on it for much longer or the interested party will simply ask for their money back and let you proceed with selling elsewhere.

People can be understanding...