• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2021 1:21 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8495 posts
2740 upvotes
Milton
RunOrDie wrote: Hey all,

I recently sold some furniture on Kijiji and received the payment upfront (I accepted a much lower price than what I listed) to let seller pickup at a later date.

I'm not sure if there's some unwritten policy about returning the money as I received so many better offers and would like to sell to them instead.

Thanks in advance!
You should not be receiving any more offers because you should have removed the ad once the item was paid for.
Apr 25, 2018
211 posts
235 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
flakey buyers and sellers are the worst. if it's not good enough, just don't agree in the first place.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
Alligatorclip wrote: flakey buyers and sellers are the worst. if it's not good enough, just don't agree in the first place.
There are plenty of examples of despicable buyer behaviour. This is an example of despicable seller behaviour. It's crap like this from bad buyers and sellers that make Kijiji, FB Marketplace, and Craigslist toxic places to do business.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6737 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
DiceMan wrote: There are plenty of examples of despicable buyer behaviour. This is an example of despicable seller behaviour. It's crap like this from bad buyers and sellers that make Kijiji, FB Marketplace, and Craigslist toxic places to do business.
What gets me is that the buyer was as good faith as you can get. Ask anyone on here and they would say why would you ever consider paying the seller (in full!!) before meeting up or even seeing proof that the item exists. That's unbelievably trusting for Kijiji, in fact it's so out of this world trusting that you would think it's an EMT reversal scam. It's unlikely that this is the case because it's used furniture and the buyer isn't pushy and asking you to ship right away, they're saying save it for me and I'll pick it up when we agree - don't do this to this buyer. That's awful.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
3474 posts
2697 upvotes
Vancouver
RunOrDie wrote: Hey all,

I recently sold some furniture on Kijiji and received the payment upfront (I accepted a much lower price than what I listed) to let seller pickup at a later date.

I'm not sure if there's some unwritten policy about returning the money as I received so many better offers and would like to sell to them instead.

Thanks in advance!
Sell to whoever you want. I never hold items on Kijiji etc. Unless the buyer has picked up the items, they are fair game
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
5820 posts
3846 upvotes
West Vancouver
kramer1 wrote: Sell to whoever you want. I never hold items on Kijiji etc. Unless the buyer has picked up the items, they are fair game
He's been paid.

Technically its not his item anymore.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
3474 posts
2697 upvotes
Vancouver
Coz4k wrote: He's been paid.

Technically its not his item anymore.
Sure, but if the item has not been picked up, the sale can always be cancelled
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8662 upvotes
GTA
kramer1 wrote: Sure, but if the item has not been picked up, the sale can always be cancelled
From the OP's own post:
Reading the post, I'm seeing the OP uses the verbs Sold and Accepted to describe the sale. If that's not the sign of a sale that the OP agreed to the terms to, I don't know what is. OP also didn't specify first come first served, and also agreed to letting buyer pick up at a later date. The OP was an active participant in the deal and pickup decision.

But since it is Kijiji, and a person to person transaction rather than a retailer, OP can do as they please. But I would never consider this type of dickish behaviour fair game.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
3474 posts
2697 upvotes
Vancouver
BernardRyder wrote: From the OP's own post:

Reading the post, I'm seeing the OP uses the verbs Sold and Accepted to describe the sale. If that's not the sign of a sale that the OP agreed to the terms to, I don't know what is. OP also didn't specify first come first served, and also agreed to letting buyer pick up at a later date. The OP was an active participant in the deal and pickup decision.

But since it is Kijiji, and a person to person transaction rather than a retailer, OP can do as they please. But I would never consider this type of dickish behaviour fair game.
I am not debating that the sale happened. I am only pointing out the fact that the retailer can cancel a sale, by refunding the money. It happens in "Hot Deals" & mis-pricing events all the time. It could even be that the items got damaged, or something else happened
Deal Guru
Jun 18, 2012
10924 posts
5461 upvotes
Toronto
M1K3Z0R wrote: You could say you damaged the furniture while moving it out of your house, and refund the buyer. That should save face and most buyers would be glad to get their money and run at that point.

Stop lying... I am always honest with people
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5083 posts
2804 upvotes
Edmonton
Best tip is if you're going to accept a lower offer, make the pickup asap. Otherwise, it's free game until someone actually shows up.

The problem is, many people talk the talk, but then never commit so you have to balance what you want, vs what you can get. I've had a few sales where I get an e-transfer, then they take their sweet time arranging a pickup. (days and days)

Furniture is a tricky one as well, big stuff means its much harder to move.

Sell it, and move on. Someone got a good deal and you got to free up space.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3793 posts
2617 upvotes
Montreal
If they are not already on their way and did not incur any type of expense, I don't see it as a douche move.

Make up an excuse, refund their money and sell it to the other person.

Also, cash is preferable because e-transfer can be reversed if the account holder says it was unauthorized.

Protect yourself and don't care about a stranger's feelings. Only do right by someone who is serious and won't make you wait.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32147 posts
15427 upvotes
Socially Distanced
gr8dlr wrote: If you take cash or EMT upfront, you just need to establish terms like most be picked up by C date or sale will be cancelled less a % of something. Ppl are generally reasonable if your are clear.

Personally, I have told ppl I'm looking for a better offer but if I don't get one by X day, I will come back to them or I'll say I accept but if I get a matching offer they have to come pickup ASAP or It's given to the other person. Something like that. I try to accomodate within reason.
This is smart.
I have also done something similar with low offers, i tell them that my lowest price is X but if its still available in a week i'll let them know.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17378 upvotes
Markham
kenze wrote: If they are not already on their way and did not incur any type of expense, I don't see it as a douche move.

Make up an excuse, refund their money and sell it to the other person.

Also, cash is preferable because e-transfer can be reversed if the account holder says it was unauthorized.

Protect yourself and don't care about a stranger's feelings. Only do right by someone who is serious and won't make you wait.
It's very close to douche move IMO.

> they might have bought something else from someone else but because you accepted to sell to them, they stopped looking and may have missed other deals
> they may have asked their employer for the day off to go pick up
> made arrangements for someone to watch kids
> looked for a van rental
> etc.

The buyer in this case did everything asked of them and the seller agreed to "later" TBD pickup date. Deal was struck and seller accepted "consideration" and terms and should fulfil their end.

Myself...I will treat ppl like I want to be treated.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3793 posts
2617 upvotes
Montreal
gr8dlr wrote: It's very close to douche move IMO.

> they might have bought something else from someone else but because you accepted to sell to them, they stopped looking and may have missed other deals
> they may have asked their employer for the day off to go pick up
> made arrangements for someone to watch kids
> looked for a van rental
> etc.

The buyer in this case did everything asked of them and the seller agreed to "later" TBD pickup date. Deal was struck and seller accepted "consideration" and terms and should fulfil their end.

Myself...I will treat ppl like I want to be treated.
Almost all of those possible arrangements can be cancelled without penalty.

I still think that if it's not a same day deal then you shouldn't care because you could argue that the buyer himself could back out and ask for his money back later and you'll have missed opportunities yourself.

This is all to say that people should avoid accepting money upfront, only accept cash and not accept any waiting period over 24 hours.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
2843 posts
6764 upvotes
kenze wrote: Only do right by someone who is serious and won't make you wait.
Op did agree to accomodate and had accepted payment. Like another commenter asked, "how much is your word worth?" Some people value honesty and integrity more than a couple bucks from Kijiji. It depends on whether op does. Or whether he needs that extra cash badly. He did post this thread, which suggests that the extra money is significant enough to cause this ethical conundrum.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
2843 posts
6764 upvotes
kenze wrote: This is all to say that people should avoid accepting money upfront, only accept cash and not accept any waiting period over 24 hours.
I totally agree. This guideline alone eliminates everyone a lot of headache.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3872 posts
2505 upvotes
People pay upfront on Kijiji? That is asking for trouble.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2004
1120 posts
85 upvotes
Just need to answer one question, how much is your word worth to you? Only you have the answer and no one else needs to know.