Refunds for Defective Products: Consumer Protection Laws in Ontario

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2020 2:01 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20687 posts
14517 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mimranyameen wrote: is there any consumer law in nyc?
Yes, at least in NY state. I imagine Google will find more information.
veni, vidi, Visa
May 11, 2018
42 posts
25 upvotes
k7k5t8
say my phones rated ip68, it appears the seal has been defective for as long as I've had it, when I went to warranty they said the seal was damaged cuz the phone was bent, from my experience the phone was like that. its ever so slightly bent but because of the bend the seal is compromised and I wanted them to replace the phone. They argue that I've bent the phone so it's no longer manufacturers warrenty, As far as I can tell the phone was like that out of the box, what can I do?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20687 posts
14517 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
BrandonT33909 wrote: say my phones rated ip68, it appears the seal has been defective for as long as I've had it, when I went to warranty they said the seal was damaged cuz the phone was bent, from my experience the phone was like that. its ever so slightly bent but because of the bend the seal is compromised and I wanted them to replace the phone. They argue that I've bent the phone so it's no longer manufacturers warrenty, As far as I can tell the phone was like that out of the box, what can I do?
Not much(*), since there's no way to prove the phone arrived in, um, bent out of shape condition. Ideally people need to check new products carefully for signs of such damage as soon as they receive them. [Yes, I know, few people actually do this.] Then if they find a defect they can bring it up with the manufacturer and/or retailer right away.

The same sort of inspection should be done for all features of a new device, including those one might not need right away. Again if it turns out later that some feature doesn't, because it never worked, it's unlikely going to be covered under warranty. Of course with the increasing complexity and huge feature set of sophisticated devices like smartphones, this is essentially impossible to do in practice.

(*) One "hail Mary" you could try is to Google Search on the phone make/model with terms like "bent frame" or "defective seal" in case this is a widespread manufacturing or quality control issue with this particular phone. In that case information is power when arguing for a warranty extension of other goodwill gesture. Indeed the manufacturer may even have some sort of secret warranty program.
veni, vidi, Visa
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
3 posts
USA
Yeah, it's not so easy to get the goods back to the store if you broke them yourself. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4684 posts
1528 upvotes
Kingston
What are the laws on warranties?
I purchased a reolink C1 pro wifi camera and it is defective. I went through with support we did everything we could to try to fix it and finally they decided an RMA needed to be issued.

Apparently the camera I have is discontinued so they can't send me another one. They offered me an E1 Pro model instead. They said it's the model that has replaced the one I purchased. This new model is worth $30 less then what I originally paid tho.

On their website I see the C1 pro is still listed and priced. I suggested that I got the C1 Zoom instead which is the same price as the C1 Pro. They said no, the E1 Pro is the new model.

I always thought if a product under warranty could not be repaired or replaced they had to give me a product of equal or greater value, or refund the product?
Is there an actual law for this or something?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20687 posts
14517 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Tha DraGun wrote: Is there an actual law for this or something?
This is provincial legislation so it depends on where you bought it. Don't know if there's a specific provision for this sort of situation, i.e. if they're allowed to substitute an equal or greater value (by their definition) item or if they're required to refund what you paid.

Also, was it DoA or have you been using the camera for a while? If DoA then there should be no argument. If you've been using the item for some time then at least by convention manufacturers are allowed to replace with refurbished goods at their discretion. I'm not sure if that option is open to you or if you'd even want to consider it. (Refurbs carry their own risks...)

In any case since the difference is only $30 it's probably not worth fighting them over it, especially in court.

One suggestion for your consideration: Ask if they'll let you "upgrade" to the C1 Zoom for $30. I realize that you shouldn't have to do this. But perhaps by making such an offer you'll be able to shame them into sending you that model for free. If they can't be shamed then you'll have to decide if it's worth the $30 to get a new unit with (I presume) somewhat better specs or more features. Consider too if the time you've had with the now defective unit is worth the $30.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 5, 2017
448 posts
92 upvotes
Hi, In 2015 my aunt gifted me a complete bed set including mattress and box spring. She didn't give me any gift receipt, after few months the bed set had some issues and i called the shop and they asked me to take the complete unit to Brampton, I decided not to do that and fixed it by myself. Later when we moved the house I discarded the bed set and kept the mattress and box spring and kept in our guest room, recently we started to use the mattress again and realized that its not usable as we can feel the spring when we lay down, I called the mattress manufacturers as it says 10 year's warranty. They informed me that I have to go through the store (Sodhi furniture), I called them and they need the receipt, I asked my aunt and she didn't have it as its almost 5 yea's now. What can i do to claim the manufactures warranty now ?
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14381 posts
4531 upvotes
Montreal
Yeah, these consumer protection laws and legislation are all fine and dandy in theory, at least until you actually try to enforce them... say at a 3rd-World Bazaar like Dollarama.

I would never buy anything at that Devil Shop, but some of my friends do - one told me his can opener broke, so he bought one for $4 at Craporama, and it was defective, so he went back and bought 2 more (thinking it was just a random dud), and they were both defective - one didn't work and the other's handle fell off on the first use. He was soooo freaking angry when I showed him my designer can opener I bought at Walmart for $11, still going strong for over a year.

LOL - Dollarama is all about selling factory-rejects and ancient warehouse stock and then hiding behind some "Final Sale" BS.

Someone needs to get the gov't involved with these scam artists, but I can only assume like any 3rd-World operation, Dollarama has already greased the palms of those in charge of enforcement.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20687 posts
14517 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
JackWhyte wrote: Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
I'd rather do business with someone who makes their policy crystal clear from the moment I enter the store than with someone who claims to have a good return policy but usually doesn't. (Hello: Crappy Tyre, Factory Defect, et al.)
Dollarama is all about selling factory-rejects and ancient warehouse stock and then hiding behind some "Final Sale" BS.
My experience has been quite different. I've bought lots of stuff there at very good prices that's as good or better in quality as anywhere else. Yes, I've also bought a few items that turned out to be junk. That's a risk I'm prepared to take in exchange for the opportunity to buy stuff, often unique stuff that's not available elsewhere, at attractive prices.

P.S, While I admit that this goes against their policy, I was once able to exchange an item for a different size. The clerk was reluctant. It took more time and persuasive efforts than the $1 value was worth. She did eventually suggest that I go to the rack and swap items as she averted her eyes from witnessing the travesty. Oh. the horror...
veni, vidi, Visa