Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
REFURB.io

Acer Travelmate 14" i5 Webcam Starting $279

Mar 21, 2020
41 posts
81 upvotes

Acer Travelmate 14" i5 Webcam Starting $279

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
24% Off
Retailer:
REFURB.io
I didn't end up buying their $79 or $89 Chromebooks after all. Dug into the Travelmates and ended up ordering one.

They have 8gb Ram 500gb HDD for $279. 8gb Ram 256gb SSD for $299 and 12gb Ram 256gb SSD for $319. Think their was pricing is a bit low because the prices seem much higher when I did some basic google searching. I saw on Walmart.ca there's 8gb Ram 500gb HDD for $448, Staples.ca had 8gb 256gb SSD for $429.99 rated 3 star (1 review). Agree, that price point blows and I'd probably rate it 2 or 3 at that price. The Shopping Channel of all places have them listed at $699.99. Found an old code FREE10 for $10 extra off order over $100. Worked fine at checkout.

Set it up... definitely Grade A. Took some shots. Anyways... neat little thing.
Images
  • Open.jpg
  • Above.jpg
  • Back.jpg
  • Side 1.jpg
  • Side 2.jpg
Thread Summary
If you're looking for more budget options, check out RFD Reviews' list of the best laptops under $500!
34 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
Not bad, we're not buying right now in the company but these are a little tempting.

Next time, friends.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Sep 13, 2019
360 posts
578 upvotes
Quebec
Keep in mind no update from 2025 for windows 10. Not much of an issue if you plan to install a different OS eventually.
Apr 5, 2018
475 posts
473 upvotes
I bought a Chromebook($100) from their sale - definitely Grade A as well. Plus it has access to Google Store & AUE is July 2022. And I heard that ChromeOS and Chrome browser are being separated so that Chrome browser can independently update itself. All in all - a good deal.
Dec 30, 2007
111 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
signops wrote: I bought a Chromebook($100) from their sale - definitely Grade A as well. Plus it has access to Google Store & AUE is July 2022. And I heard that ChromeOS and Chrome browser are being separated so that Chrome browser can independently update itself. All in all - a good deal.
Which did you get?
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1434 posts
1395 upvotes
Toronto
How does the Acer Travelmate compare to Lenovo Thinkpads in terms of reliability and build quality ? I’m very familiar with Lenovo due to my work, but not so much with Acer. Any opinions?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
mcfrugal wrote: How does the Acer Travelmate compare to Lenovo Thinkpads in terms of reliability and build quality ? I’m very familiar with Lenovo due to my work, but not so much with Acer. Any opinions?
You can't say build quality and acer in the same sentence unless you are making a joke. Much like acer's build quality is a joke.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1236 posts
1688 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Friends don't let friends buy ACER laptop...
Dec 20, 2017
2 posts
1 upvote
Use discount code REFURBIO to take another $20 off. Great deal.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2013
1124 posts
259 upvotes
Mississauga
how are their refurbished laptops ? I never used this website before, how is the battery in general on these refurbished laptops ?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13239 posts
12069 upvotes
Toronto
Basically 4x faster than those $79 Chromebooks (2512 Passmark). You get what you pay for.
Jul 22, 2020
684 posts
108 upvotes
Angultra wrote: Basically 4x faster than those $79 Chromebooks (2512 Passmark). You get what you pay for.
Does the speed of chrome books depend on how fast your internet connection?

Are the chrome books still for sale? Could anything go wrong with them? What's the pros and cons of a Chromebook as I've never used one nor seen anyone using one. Sorry totally new to them.

Tia!
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13239 posts
12069 upvotes
Toronto
GreenLean wrote: Does the speed of chrome books depend on how fast your internet connection?

Are the chrome books still for sale? Could anything go wrong with them? What's the pros and cons of a Chromebook as I've never used one nor seen anyone using one. Sorry totally new to them.

Tia!
This is a good video on the differences. Fyi the $79 deal was for really crappy ones from 2011, but most concepts still apply.

Last edited by Angultra on Jul 14th, 2021 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 22, 2020
684 posts
108 upvotes
Angultra wrote: This is a good video on the differences. Fyi the $79 deal was for really crappy ones from 2011, but most concepts still apply.

Do ou think laptops are slowed down on purpose like cellphones are? It seems the more you use the laptop, the slower it gets over time. Microsoft always wants to update it and it seems to me that just slows things down instead of just leaving it alone.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13239 posts
12069 upvotes
Toronto
GreenLean wrote: Do ou think laptops are slowed down on purpose like cellphones are? It seems the more you use the laptop, the slower it gets over time. Microsoft always wants to update it and it seems to me that just slows things down instead of just leaving it alone.
Kind of, but like cellphones you can factory reset if things get too bad.

Most important thing for old laptops is an SSD, if still using a HDD will see massive gains from switching. Usually day and night in snappiness.
Feb 9, 2017
349 posts
530 upvotes
GreenLean wrote: Do ou think laptops are slowed down on purpose like cellphones are? It seems the more you use the laptop, the slower it gets over time. Microsoft always wants to update it and it seems to me that just slows things down instead of just leaving it alone.
I've never used Macs or Chromebooks before but Windows does slow down using a technique that constantly accesses the hard drive. SSDs will help but ultimately I/O operations are always the slowest. The only way to avoid intentional or unintentional slow down of PCs is to switch to Linux, which has no incentives in the consumers upgrading their hardware.
Jul 22, 2020
684 posts
108 upvotes
Angultra wrote: Kind of, but like cellphones you can factory reset if things get too bad.

Most important thing for old laptops is an SSD, if still using a HDD will see massive gains from switching. Usually day and night in snappiness.
What's the cheapest decent quality ssd? I probably will just use it as a boot drive. Looking for lowest cost and doesn't matter much how big it is. Just want a reliable one that will last 5 year or so.
Jul 22, 2020
684 posts
108 upvotes
dodgybackhand wrote: I've never used Macs or Chromebooks before but Windows does slow down using a technique that constantly accesses the hard drive. SSDs will help but ultimately I/O operations are always the slowest. The only way to avoid intentional or unintentional slow down of PCs is to switch to Linux, which has no incentives in the consumers upgrading their hardware.
That's really interesting. Which Linux's would you suggest? I'd want something easy to use and reliable.