[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2025 posts
254 upvotes
Vancouver

Regular Toothpaste vs Premium Toothpaste

Hey

I been wondering this for some time, I always see on sale the Colgate cavity protection for $1 and I am wondering do the premium toothpastes actually have more benefits that are worth the extra cost(usually 3 times the cost).

I never been impressed with the whitening features in toothpaste as I never really see a difference, I usually got it for sensitivity which sort of worked(in the end I had to get the teeth filled where I had major sensitivity and that solved the problem). The newest thing is "enamel strength" and wonder how well that works.

I am just wondering if I am wasting my money on stuff that really does not bring that much value and is more just marketing.
16 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10868 posts
4354 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Most of it is marketing pure and simple and while there can be some benefit to the additional 'features' of the premium brands, it's more than overshadowed by the higher cost.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5461 posts
2166 upvotes
I am a tea drinker and I like colgate Optic White. I think it makes a difference over other brands. And I think the sensitivity products work. I usually have a couple or three brands on the go at a time. Depends on my emotional concerns at each brushing lol.

Toothpaste is the kind of thing that you can get for free by matching coupons (and there are always coupons) and sales. You can get a lot of the premium stuff < $1 this way.

Check out your dentist's office, the printable coupon portals save.ca, websaver.ca, pgeveryday.ca, smartsource.ca and never pay for toothpaste again.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8138 posts
1227 upvotes
Toronto
Probably better to invest in a better toothbrush, brush twice per day, as well as floss and rinse IMO.
I grind my teeth when I sleep and although I wear a guard there is still degradation of enamel on the surface.
I've bought enamel repairing toothpastes ranging from $5 to $10 including Sensodyne Repair and Protect, X Pur Remin and Arm Hammer Enamel Care and I doubt they really do much.
Once that enamel is gone, it's gone.Period.
Jan 11, 2009
119 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Be careful with some of those premium Crest toothpastes as they can be quite harsh. You can find many reviews online with people complaining about mouth pain, burning, and loss of taste after using them.

Whitening toothpastes can be more abrasive than regular toothpastes so if you use them too often you can damage the tooth enamel, I started using Crest 3D white regularly for a while, and after the first couple of weeks I did notice that my teeth were whiter. After that I started to notice that my teeth were getting a dull brown tint to them. I gave up on the 3D white and went back to a more plain toothpaste and it took a long while for my teeth to look healthy again.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5461 posts
2166 upvotes
monsoon66 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 3:32 pm
After that I started to notice that my teeth were getting a dull brown tint to them.
I don't know about the toothpaste, but the Crest Pro-Health mouthwash contains cetylpyridinium chloride which is known to brown teeth.

Consumers spitting mad after mouthwash turns teeth brown
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/consumers-spitting ... n-1.993571
Toothpaste giant Crest is on the defensive after consumer complaints that one of its popular mouthwashes causes teeth to turn brown.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6715 posts
1381 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 1:28 pm
I usually have a couple or three brands on the go at a time. Depends on my emotional concerns at each brushing lol.
Hahaha!! I thought I was the only one who did this. Right now it's Colgate Sensitive Pro-Relief, Colgate Max Fresh with Whitening Knock Out and Crest Pro-Health Advanced Extra Deep Clean.

Highly recommend all three, they all do what they say they do. I think it's worth the extra price to buy premium toothpastes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
2025 posts
254 upvotes
Vancouver
lecale wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 3:41 pm
I don't know about the toothpaste, but the Crest Pro-Health mouthwash contains cetylpyridinium chloride which is known to brown teeth.

Consumers spitting mad after mouthwash turns teeth brown
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/consumers-spitting ... n-1.993571
That happened to me, I was using that crest pro health stuff and one day my mom was like why is your teeth all brown you better go see the dentist. Turns out they knew pretty fast why my teeth was brown.
gh05t wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 1:36 pm
Probably better to invest in a better toothbrush, brush twice per day, as well as floss and rinse IMO.
I grind my teeth when I sleep and although I wear a guard there is still degradation of enamel on the surface.
I've bought enamel repairing toothpastes ranging from $5 to $10 including Sensodyne Repair and Protect, X Pur Remin and Arm Hammer Enamel Care and I doubt they really do much.
Once that enamel is gone, it's gone.Period.
Agreed, I got the Oral B 1000 and my dentist can tell that I am using electric toothbrush as my teeth are alot cleaner than they use to be. Yea that was what I was thinking, I bought the enamel stuff as well but that was my thought if it is gone it is gone.

I might check out these cheaper toothpastes as it sounds like they will do the job, and maybe stick to premium if I get for a really good price.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2876 posts
353 upvotes
Montreal
My hygienist warned me not to use Colgate Total as it stains your teeth. I have the crest pro health mouthwash I guess that'll be added to the list
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15631 posts
5852 upvotes
I think you need to define "regular" and "premium". When I go shopping, I really see 3 categories (I'll use Crest/Colgate as an example):
1 Crest and Colgate - plain toothpaste. Doesn't advertise it really does anything. AKA:
2 Crest Complete and Colgate Total/Max. Advertises it helps with a whole lot of stuff. AKA:
3 Crest 3D and Colgate Optic/Advanced/Enamel/etc. These advertise they help with very specific issues. AKA:

Now one way to see where they are different is to complete their active ingredients.
1 Sodium monofluorophosphate 0.76% (0.15% w/v fluoride ion).
2 Triclosan (0.30%) (Antigingivitis) Sodium Fluoride (0.24% (0.15% w/v Fluoride Ion)) (Anticavity)
3 Sodium monofluorophosphate 0.76% (0.15% w/v fluoride ion)

The non-active ingredients could be the abrasives, etc. that help to whiten.

So, as you can see by the ingredient list, depending on your purpose, you may not be better off buying the ultra premium toothpaste (Optic White) if you just want anti-cavity. However, Colgate Total may be worth considering as a step above the regular toothpaste to also add in the antigingivitis ingredients (and triclosan is proven to work in this regard).

Again, this is just comparing active ingredients (so not the abrasives used in whitening, detergents, etc.) but it provides an easy way to illustrate that yes indeed there are differences but what is more important is choosing one that is right for what you want - because if all you want is something to fight cavities and get yourself some flouride, it may be a waste to upgrade to something 3 - 4 times the price.
May 28, 2012
10181 posts
2338 upvotes
Saskatoon
There's three different toothpastes in this household too but it's due to preference from the various family members. We have Arm & Hammer Whitening, Colgate Total Advanced and a Crest (mid priced one). The cheap toothpastes don't seem to have much abrasives compared to the more "premium" ones. I don't buy toothpaste expecting miracles, but I do like feeling like my teeth are really clean. The best was Crest Expressions Extreme Herbal Mint, don't know why it was discontinued. I couldn't stand the taste of that Colgate Optic White.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24145 posts
1412 upvotes
Markham, ON
i find the premium seems to have a more dense paste vs the non premium...feels water down.

wasnt the case before...colgate didnt have 2 lines...a decade ago the single line wasnt water down.

I find this is also applicable to palmolive dish wash...i found some really old palmolive and compare to the crap now...it was a lot more thicker consistency and concentrated...now it's just so watered down.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9789 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
I use the crest 3d white toothpaste, doesn't seem too harsh and it's not too bad, I use that mouthwash of there's, can't remember what it is but it's purple.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
4938 posts
4852 upvotes
Vancouver
monsoon66 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 3:32 pm
Whitening toothpastes can be more abrasive than regular toothpastes so if you use them too often you can damage the tooth enamel
My dentist warned me to never use any brand of whitening toothpaste, for exactly that reason.
18% = GTA residents as a proportion of Canada's total population
97% = chance that an RFDer lives in the GTA when he posts something location specific, without giving a location

Were you hit with surprise customs/import fees on an Amazon.ca purchase?