regulations for office in the basement ,Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2019 5:40 pm
[OP]
Jun 4, 2018
4 posts

regulations for office in the basement ,Toronto

Hello,
Is it legal to have an office in the basement ?

We are looking to buy a house in Toronto sometime this year. I was considering to use basement as an office. I am a graphic designer.
Should we look for something specific like window size , side entrance, parking spots ?
I suppose I can use it as my home office , but what happens if I decide to hire someone to help me?
Should the space comply to certain regulations in that case?

Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated.
3 replies
May 3, 2013
643 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
If you hire somebody to work in your home office, I suppose you would need extra insurance for that, probably something other than home insurance. My advice is to give your insurance company a call and see what they say, they would know all the details if they were to insure it.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1666 posts
594 upvotes
Calgary
As long as the basement is permitted with proper code you should be fine. the problem arises when you need to have a sleeping space, cooking facilities etc. Again your city might differ to its regulations. You also need to notify your insurance about the home office and having an employee there would also need to be disclosed.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1038 posts
1399 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Having home office for yourself is fine, but if you have employees working out of your house you would need to know the specific area where you are buying the property and contact the city of Toronto Bylaw covering the area for details (rules differ from one area to another), it is best to visit the city’s office in person, they don't provide information over the phone. As others have already mentioned the insurance is an important factor, some companies actually will not insure your house at all if you are running a business out of it (belairdirect is one of them if I recall correctly).
Full Time and Full Service Realtor