Credit Cards

Rejected for a $500 credit card increase, then pre-approved 3 months later for a $2,000 increase with same card. What?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2017 9:08 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 15, 2015
20 posts
1 upvote
Halifax, NS

Rejected for a $500 credit card increase, then pre-approved 3 months later for a $2,000 increase with same card. What?

In May I applied to increase the limit on my TD visa from $1,000 to $1,500 and was rejected. I had the card for 3 years before applying for an increase and never missed a payment. Today I received a pre-approved offer for an increase from $1,000 to $3,000. Nothing changed insofar as my credit score/utilisation goes between being rejected in May and pre-approved today.

How does this make sense?

Furthermore, despite pre-approval I have to wait 5-7 business days for the limit to change and this is contingent on the approval of the pre-approved credit increase? This is versus 1-2 business days it would take if I applied online or by phone?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2015
1047 posts
738 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
Sounds screwy... Has anything unrelated happened on your credit report though? Like a derog dropping off, or some other account's utilization changing? Loans paid off? If not, I can only speculate maybe they're loosening their lending policy suddenly and it has nothing to do with you specifically.
Pronouns: She/Her/They/Them/Mx
Plan: 100GB UL QC plan $65 ($75 after 2yr)
NoAF CB Combo:
(1) 4% (Restaurants)/1.5% Simplii (2) 3% (Grocery) BMO CB MC (3) 2% Tang (4) 2%/1.25% Amex SC (5) 2% (Cell warranty) Desjardins
[OP]
May 15, 2015
20 posts
1 upvote
Halifax, NS
CouponBaron wrote: Sounds screwy... Has anything unrelated happened on your credit report though? Like a derog dropping off, or some other account's utilization changing? Loans paid off? If not, I can only speculate maybe they're loosening their lending policy suddenly and it has nothing to do with you specifically.
Only thing negative on my credit report is utilisation, which hasn't changed at all since May. Perfect payment history for 6 years.

I'm honestly half expecting the pre-approved credit increase to not go through. I thought increases were generally instant, not something that has to be reviewed over a 5-7 day period. (But maybe that was just because I approved it at an atm instead of online or via phone)
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2017
1153 posts
1361 upvotes
Kitchener
Think it's normal, I've similar experiences with td. Had a card over 10 years, never asked for cc limit ups, but was offered lots so my limit was a 25k. Didn't get one for years so I asked another few thousand. Got the decline letter a week later. Couple months later they offer me a massive increase, and to switch to their aero plan infinite, with the sign up bonus and fyf intact.

Lesson learned: Doesn't hurt to ask, and if declined, . They will later do a longer account review and maybe make you a nice offer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)