Reliable Family Car Suggestions

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2020 12:06 pm
[OP]
Jul 23, 2018
365 posts
119 upvotes

Reliable Family Car Suggestions

Hey, RFD. I'm hoping some of the car experts here can help with suggesting some car options for a family.

Who: Couple with 1 toddler now, and hopefully, another in a couple of years.
Where: Scarborough. Will be our first car in Canada so I realize insurance will be a PIA.
Why: Daily driver to and from work, probably 30-50km a day, or less. TBC, since currently looking for work! Plus leasure trips and exploring the area.
Budget: 12-15k, could go higher if absolutely worth it but trying not to.
  • Wishlist (which I realize may be asking for too much in our budget but that's why it's called a wishlist):
  • Safety first: Multiple airbags, blind spot monitoring, lane departure warning, backup camera etc.
  • Reliable, low maintenance etc.
  • Good mileage
  • 2016 model or newer (as a non-car person, just thinking I shouldn't go for a car older than 4-5 years)
  • Warranty and/or service history availability
  • Nothing too large as my partner prefers "smaller cars". We thought Mazda CX-3 was good but may be a little too small. Hyundai Santa Fe is considered too big for her.
  • Cruise control
  • Heated steering wheel

Also, if anyone knows reliable mechanics in Scarborough who do detailed and honest inspections, please let me know their contact details and pricing.
Like I said, first time buying a car here, so need all the help I can get.

Suggestions are welcome, and if anyone is selling or planning to, please let me know!
63 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15083 posts
16036 upvotes
Oakville
Newest Corolla you can buy. Camry if you want bigger. Don't waste your money on SUVs, you get more for you dollar with cars.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4308 posts
962 upvotes
Beige Corolla with steel rims .
Still serving a 90 day suspension from " off topic "and "politics "May 21,2020.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5133 posts
2730 upvotes
Toronto
Whose gonna be 3rd to suggest Corolla?
Oct 3, 2017
677 posts
512 upvotes
A lot of compact cars like the cx3 do not have enough room in the back for rear facing car seats and still have the passenger with any leg room. 2 rear facing baby/ toddler seats could be impossible unless the driver is super short and can drive with the drivers seat in the most forward position.

This should be your number one thing to look for. Most modern cars today have a lot of safety features. You will need good if not the best winter tires and ideally on a seperate set of wheels. Budget for this.

A hatchback will give you more room to carry things (you will use every cm).

Some of your important add ons like heated steering wheel are nice but not essential and often only come on the highest trim levels and include even more stuff you don't need.

Your budget is too low and your expectations too high given your preliminary parameters.

Re think your priorities and bring at least 1 rear facing car seat with you and try them in the cars you are looking at.

Don't believe a sales person on this. They wiĺl say their fiat 500 has tons of room for car seats.

Maybe if your childern are mice.

Human car seats require much more room in the rear for the front passengers to have any leg room at all.
Last edited by George613 on Jul 29th, 2020 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15083 posts
16036 upvotes
Oakville
George613 wrote: A lot of compact cars like the cx3 do not have enough room in the back for rear facing car seats and still have the passenger with any leg room. 2 rear facing baby/ toddler seats could be impossible unless the driver is super short and can drive with the drivers seat in the most forward position.

This should be your number one thing to look for. Most modern cars today have a lot of safety features. You will need good if not the best winter tires and ideally on a seperate set of wheels. Budget for this.

A hatchback will give you more room to carry things (you will use every cm).
+1. Even in an Audi Q5 we can't put the rear facing seat behind the driver's seat setup for a 6ft driver. So rear facing is behind passenger, who isn't the most comfortable, and older kid is behind driver. In our previous smaller MINI, we did road trips with 1 baby, but mom sat in the back on longer trips.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21202 posts
2509 upvotes
Toronto
A fellow RFDer is selling a low Kms 2014 Toyota Camry for $14+K.....seems fair.

You could prolly bargain a bit too:

2014-toyota-camry-great-condition-low-kms-2392560/

I don’t know this rfder nor endorsing the seller, just sharing what is posted.

Camrys are sturdy and reliable....I did test drive a newer one with the high trim level (think it was a 2019) and it was definitely sportier looking and more peppy....

Not sure about 2014s though

Oops, just saw your 2016+ requirement, nix above but you might want to consider if no other options

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13225 posts
7314 upvotes
Toronto
peteryorkuca wrote: Whose gonna be 3rd to suggest Corolla?
Beige Corolla

Corolla.jpg

What do i win?
Mar 5, 2008
409 posts
86 upvotes
Swerny wrote: Beige Corolla

Corolla.jpg

What do i win?
bulletproof reliability and ridiculously good gas milage.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13538 posts
8498 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Really sexy looking car as well.
Swerny wrote: Beige Corolla

Corolla.jpg

What do i win?
Garest wrote: bulletproof reliability and ridiculously good gas milage.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21202 posts
2509 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Really sexy looking car as well.
Watch out OP, ladies will be clamouring for you as you roll in your ‘Rolla 5.0....

Your wifey might not appreciate all the attention that you’ll get from da ladiesssssss

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14044 posts
8468 upvotes
Toronto
Chev cruze is a great option. So is the subaru impreza and if you want all the bells and whistles at the lowest price, hyundai elantra.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10826 posts
2671 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If I was to buy a car for a family I would be looking at the VW Golf Sportwagon or VW Golf AllTrack.

Lots of room for cargo and you can get one of the min AWD for winter driving if you wanted.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2497 posts
1743 upvotes
Markham
I think the Corolla is probably the most ideal, I highly suggest getting the 2020 sedan over the 2014-2019s the comfort from the suspension on the newer Corollas is just far better than the old ones, the added plus is they handle better too. If you want the spacious hatchback the Impreza is a fine choice, for a compact car they're decently roomy.
sickcars wrote: If I was to buy a car for a family I would be looking at the VW Golf Sportwagon or VW Golf AllTrack.
I personally think the Golf Sportwagon is the perfect normal person car. Its literally just being a VW...where its hit or miss reliability-wise. Had Toyota made this...can't think of a perfect solution to this question. Hint hint Toyota, release the Corolla wagon with the new 2.0L.