Home & Garden

Reliable LED bulb brands?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2019 3:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1850 posts
582 upvotes
Edmonton

Reliable LED bulb brands?

Two of the Sylvania LED bulbs in my sister’s room have failed recently. These are the first LED bulbs to fail since our conversion from CFL to LED around 2016/2017. Granted she might be one of the heavier light bulb users in the household, turning the lights on longer than other family members. Other LED bulbs still working in our house include Philips, Cree, Feit, and ECO Smart (Government of Alberta retrofit brand). I contacted Sylvania and they said they will mail a voucher. In the meanwhile I have bought a 4 pack of Philips non-dimmable 60W equivalent LED bulbs from the Home Depot.

Is Philips a reliable brand for LED bulbs? I always thought Osram Sylvania stuff is second or third best next to Philips, so Sylvania failing first was a surprise to me. Cree doesn’t sell LED bulbs to general Canadian consumers anymore, and GE I swore off after their CFLs failed pretty early. Feit I think is okay, but I noticed their cheaper stuff have PWM flickering. Also, will Energy Star certified LED bulbs last longer than ones that aren’t certified? Or does Energy Star not give certification to non-dimmable LED bulbs, that’s how I remember it.
12 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 26, 2005
10002 posts
1878 upvotes
Toronto
Reliability is never easy to predict.

The most important is the warranty. Pick a brand that has the longer warranty.

Then call them for a coupon when it fails.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4519 upvotes
Alberta
I replaced all my bulbs with Noma ones from CT when they were on sale. In just over 1.5 years I've replaced about 6 of them already in 3 different styles. The ones that look like flood lamps flicker when dimmed. All the other ones dim and are good and don't flicker. The chandelier style bulbs we have get super hot like normal light bulbs. Go figure, I didn't think they gave off so energy. As for warranty, I didn't bother because I got hem so cheap. Just threw them in the garbage a replaced them with spare ones that I bought.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1850 posts
582 upvotes
Edmonton
rfdrfd wrote: Reliability is never easy to predict.

The most important is the warranty. Pick a brand that has the longer warranty.

Then call them for a coupon when it fails.
I looked up Feit’s warranty and theirs is only 1 year. :facepalm: Now I know what brand not to buy. Philips and Sylvania are 3 years.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16870 posts
18616 upvotes
Oakville
jackrabbit000 wrote: I replaced all my bulbs with Noma ones from CT when they were on sale. In just over 1.5 years I've replaced about 6 of them already in 3 different styles. The ones that look like flood lamps flicker when dimmed. All the other ones dim and are good and don't flicker. The chandelier style bulbs we have get super hot like normal light bulbs. Go figure, I didn't think they gave off so energy. As for warranty, I didn't bother because I got hem so cheap. Just threw them in the garbage a replaced them with spare ones that I bought.
In contrast, I love my noma bulbs, including the Edison style ones. Good light and never a problem or failure.
I think it's down to random luck, despite the brand. Also, you don't want any LED brand bulb in a completely enclosed fixture as heat will build up, and degrade the electronics.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Sr. Member
Jan 7, 2006
598 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
In the past 4 months I had 3 noma led bulbs die, all from the spring of 2017 in different parts of the house. It's the 60w equivalent A19 3000k (might be 3300, forget) style. I took them back to crappy t, they said I need a receipt for warranty so I tossed them.

I have around 20 at home.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 10, 2011
9529 posts
2127 upvotes
Somewhere
Do not buy Noma. I replaced more than half of them that I bought during the $1 government rebate promo.

I have some Phillips that never failed, but they're pricey.

I recently bought a few AmazonBasics ones that they have not failed so far. But it's only been maybe 6 months.
:confused:
Sr. Member
Oct 3, 2011
583 posts
377 upvotes
OTTAWA
I have like 18 bulbs from feit I bought during the green on campaign a few years ago from lowes... 3 of them have had ridiculous run times in the 12-18 hours a day range, The rest are just in areas of the house where I don't use the lights often.

I have had the most failures from phillips and rona's uberhaus brand in the candelabra size.. about 33% failure rate in the first year.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 10, 2018
3865 posts
859 upvotes
centre of universe
rfdrfd wrote: Reliability is never easy to predict.

The most important is the warranty. Pick a brand that has the longer warranty.

Then call them for a coupon when it fails.
Remember the CFL were introduced with 7 years or warranty or so? Anyone remember how many of their CFL bulbs lasted for 7 years?
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4519 upvotes
Alberta
engineered wrote: In contrast, I love my noma bulbs, including the Edison style ones. Good light and never a problem or failure.
I think it's down to random luck, despite the brand. Also, you don't want any LED brand bulb in a completely enclosed fixture as heat will build up, and degrade the electronics.
Actually I don't mind the Noma bulbs at all. None of them are in enclosed fixtures but have had 6 failures out of the 120 that I changed out.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2007
1299 posts
900 upvotes
tablo13 wrote: I looked up Feit’s warranty and theirs is only 1 year. :facepalm: Now I know what brand not to buy. Philips and Sylvania are 3 years.
Really? The ones I bought back in January 2015 had a 5 year warranty and they were used for my outdoor lights which are on (auto-timer) 8-10 hours per day depending on time of year. One of the 5 bulbs failed in March 2019 and I called CS, they had no issues with shipping me a new one. I still had the receipt they didn't ask for it, only asked for the serial number on the actual bulb.

All my 30 interior par20 led from luminus bought from Costco are still functioning. Bought them back in Oct 2014.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1850 posts
582 upvotes
Edmonton
Zero Hope wrote: Really? The ones I bought back in January 2015 had a 5 year warranty and they were used for my outdoor lights which are on (auto-timer) 8-10 hours per day depending on time of year. One of the 5 bulbs failed in March 2019 and I called CS, they had no issues with shipping me a new one. I still had the receipt they didn't ask for it, only asked for the serial number on the actual bulb.

All my 30 interior par20 led from luminus bought from Costco are still functioning. Bought them back in Oct 2014.
Both their website and Lowe’s website says 1 year warranty.

https://www.feit.com/wp-content/uploads ... cSheet.pdf

https://www.lowes.ca/product/led-light- ... ack-714746

The actual warranty will obviously depend on the product you actually purchased, but seems like 1 year for their current non-dimmable offerings.

Also I finally figured out the difference between non-dimmable, non-Energy Star certified bulbs and dimmable, Energy Star certified bulbs. The lifetime is almost twice, and that makes it twice as expensive. The cheap, non-dimmable bulbs are 10000-11000 hours and the expensive, Energy Star certified bulbs are at least 15000 hours and I’ve seen it as high as 25000 hours with the Sylvania Ultra and Feit. I personally don’t have dimmers in our house for A19 bulbs so I always bought non-dimmable ones except for Cree.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
811 upvotes
Waterloo
iEyeCaptain wrote: Do not buy Noma. I replaced more than half of them that I bought during the $1 government rebate promo.

I have some Phillips that never failed, but they're pricey.

I recently bought a few AmazonBasics ones that they have not failed so far. But it's only been maybe 6 months.
of my original switch out from CFL to LED, I dont believe any of the philips ones have failed ( even tho i got the cheapo philips ones with the odd shape )
Image
----
Pay it forward.

Top