Home & Garden

Reliance furnace and ac warranty ?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2017 8:44 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 16, 2017
575 posts
241 upvotes

Reliance furnace and ac warranty ?

is it good to have monthly based service plan 19$ for furnace and ac ? its a 16 yrs old house
24 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
16813 posts
5401 upvotes
Toronto
Monthly? Hell no. 16 years old is not old for a furnace as they can go for yerars. I would just get the furnace serviced once every couple years and fix as needed. Monthly plans are cash cows and sold by sales guys who get commissions. Think of it as a modern day Future Shop sales guy making $$ on the product and extended warranty.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
8110 posts
6708 upvotes
Ottawa
Well, I have a differing view - our contract with Reliance Holmes gives us a protection package and an annual service call* and that annual call is of a pretty high quality. Our equipment is 19 years old and, while it's operating within safety and comfort ranges, it's reassuring that it is inspected in the summer - well ahead of the oncoming winter demands. YMMV, naturally

* the annual service call takes the technician the better part of 2 hours (ours was just yesterday) and is very thorough. This service is "worth" roughly $200 and, frankly, makes up the majority of the monthly fee. Also, we have not had to pay anything for parts they have had to install and they do not aggressively push a rental or a sale. We've had them for five years now and the experience has been extremely good.
Last edited by CaptSmethwick on Aug 15th, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 23, 2008
17328 posts
15204 upvotes
GTA, ON
NO.

$19/mth x 12 = $228/yr + tax
After 5yrs = $1140 +tax
After 10yrs = $2280 +tax
After 15yrs = $3420 +tax
After 20yrs = $4560 +tax

A furnace and AC can run for a long time without breaking down. You'll likely spend more money over time for peace of mind then if it breaks down and you have to pay out of pocket for a repair or replacement.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19755 posts
23171 upvotes
GTA
hightech wrote: Monthly? Hell no. 16 years old is not old for a furnace as they can go for yerars. I would just get the furnace serviced once every couple years and fix as needed. Monthly plans are cash cows and sold by sales guys who get commissions. Think of it as a modern day Future Shop sales guy making $$ on the product and extended warranty.
+1 don't sign any contracts, especially with sleazy rental appliance companies. Save money up for a rainy day. The service contract isn't free, you still need to pay for their over priced parts and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a labour limit as well.

When you have trouble they're going to tell you it's cheaper to sign a rental contract with them for a new furnace than to fix your old one. This will most likely be a terrible deal (you'll pay $9k over the rental period for the furnace instead of $3k).
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 16, 2017
575 posts
241 upvotes
engineered wrote: +1 don't sign any contracts, especially with sleazy rental appliance companies. Save money up for a rainy day. The service contract isn't free, you still need to pay for their over priced parts and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a labour limit as well.

When you have trouble they're going to tell you it's cheaper to sign a rental contract with them for a new furnace than to fix your old one. This will most likely be a terrible deal (you'll pay $9k over the rental period for the furnace instead of $3k).
i didn't get what you are trying to suggest here pay 19$ without contract and take the service ?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19755 posts
23171 upvotes
GTA
mattdominic wrote: i didn't get what you are trying to suggest here pay 19$ without contract and take the service ?
I'm suggesting that you do not sign a service contract. But if you do, be careful as they may try to talk you into a bad deal, long term rental.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
8110 posts
6708 upvotes
Ottawa
OP: If by "Reliance", you mean Reliance Holmes, they have a 92% Homestars rating from almost 700 reviews. They are not sleazy.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19755 posts
23171 upvotes
GTA
CaptSmethwick wrote: OP: If by "Reliance", you mean Reliance Holmes, they have a 92% Homestars rating from almost 700 reviews. They are not sleazy.
I would assume he was referring to Reliance Home Comfort, but could be wrong.
That said, homestars is pretty well know for deleting bad reviews and having fake ones, so I'd take any rating there with a grain of salt.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
5419 posts
3695 upvotes
On a 16 year old furnace/AC it will be good if you have a break down and not good if you don't have a break down.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 24, 2005
5085 posts
1040 upvotes
Burlington
I have the monthly plan as well and find that it's worth the price. They always show up within 2 hours or so of calling them and most importantly the furnace or A/C always breaks down on Christmas or some sort of holiday where you can't get ahold of anyone but Reliance always show up no matter when I call.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 16, 2017
575 posts
241 upvotes
Tha_Doggg wrote: I have the monthly plan as well and find that it's worth the price. They always show up within 2 hours or so of calling them and most importantly the furnace or A/C always breaks down on Christmas or some sort of holiday where you can't get ahold of anyone but Reliance always show up no matter when I call.
You mean u need A/C in christmas ?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 24, 2005
5085 posts
1040 upvotes
Burlington
mattdominic wrote: You mean u need A/C in christmas ?
Said furnace OR a/c on Christmas OR other holiday
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19755 posts
23171 upvotes
GTA
pootza wrote: On a 16 year old furnace/AC it will be good if you have a break down and not good if you don't have a break down.
If a 16 year old AC dies you should install a new one. Most likely it is not worth repairing.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
5419 posts
3695 upvotes
engineered wrote: If a 16 year old AC dies you should install a new one. Most likely it is not worth repairing.
If your compressor goes and you get it replaced for free .. why not?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19755 posts
23171 upvotes
GTA
pootza wrote: If your compressor goes and you get it replaced for free .. why not?
What service plan includes unlimited free labour and hardware?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
8110 posts
6708 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered is right - these plans have restrictions. The fine print specifically excludes heat exchangers and compressors (although they do not limit their labour). Their reasoning for the exception is that when these main component go, it's usually time to replace the entire furnace or a/c system. Frankly, I am not an ardent supporter of the Reliance Protection package but it has worked well for us - their servicing and the few parts they have had to replace have made this financially worthwhile. We could quit it today and ride it out but it's a small expense in the scheme of things.
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 20, 2009
9201 posts
4566 upvotes
These plans are never worth the money unless you bought a lemon but the decision is of course not just financial. Whether they are worth the peace of mind is a subjective decision everyone has to make for themselves. The last time my AC broke down I had no trouble at all finding 4 different companies who could be at my place in a few hours but YMMV.

I don't like water heater rentals either for similar reasons.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12156 posts
7346 upvotes
Paris
CaptSmethwick wrote: Well, I have a differing view - our contract with Reliance Holmes gives us a protection package and an annual service call* and that annual call is of a pretty high quality. Our equipment is 19 years old and, while it's operating within safety and comfort ranges, it's reassuring that it is inspected in the summer - well ahead of the oncoming winter demands. YMMV, naturally

* the annual service call takes the technician the better part of 2 hours (ours was just yesterday) and is very thorough. This service is "worth" roughly $200 and, frankly, makes up the majority of the monthly fee. Also, we have not had to pay anything for parts they have had to install and they do not aggressively push a rental or a sale. We've had them for five years now and the experience has been extremely good.
Poster makes a valid point. If you get an annual inspection (I do every other year) then the cost is about $200 bucks so the $19/month is just making that fee monthly instead of annually. Everyone in the business says you should get an annual inspection of course but I have not had issues with every other year (also clean everything myself in the off year).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 12, 2007
8110 posts
6708 upvotes
Ottawa
Funny how life can imitate RFD - last night, I heard a sound I didn't like and it turns out that the fan motor on our 19 y.o. furnace seized. Bearings. My wife called Reliance (in Ottawa, Reliance Holmes) and they showed up by noon, installed a new motor, and Bob's your uncle. Parts, service + tax would have been the better part of $600. And, yes, they asked if we wanted to speak with a sales rep but it wasn't high pressure.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)