• Jul 14th, 2021 4:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2466 posts
450 upvotes
Kitchener

Reliance Home Comfort

Figured I would start a thread specific to Reliance as there is one for Enercare.

If you are currently renting a water heater from them you may or may not be in a contract. This is important to know. If you are interested in purchasing your own tank or you are interested in renting from somewhere else you will want to know your terms and conditions.

To know for sure call Reliance 1-888-837-1451 and ask what is your exit fees. Do NOT ASK FOR THE BUYOUT. The buyout amount will often be huge.

Next they will tell you about several other fees if you leave them. If they tell you about a pickup fee or a drain and disconnect fee IGNORE THAT.

Whoever you get to install your new tank will drain, disconnect and often return it to Reliance for free. So most of the fees they tell you are irrelevant.

There are many places you can get your new tank from. Big box stores, plumbers, a few redflagdeal members, and enercare.

I say enercare because they rent but they also sell directly to customers as well. Enercare also provides up to $800 if you are switching from Reliance to Enercare. Depending on your monthly rental that is about 2yrs of free rental tank.

Final thing... most companies use contractors to help get the work done during busy times. There are good contractors and bad ones same as employees. If you are the type of person who doesn't like a sub contractor then I would hold off on calling Reliance for any service or installations right now. Reliance has locked out the employees and any work being performed right now will.be done by sub contractors.

If you have any questions just ask away. I have worked for enercare and Reliance. I know both companies pretty well.
Tired of renting from Reliance? This might be useful reliance-home-comfort-2464779/2/#p34473179
46 replies
Jun 1, 2010
792 posts
224 upvotes
Double_J wrote: Figured I would start a thread specific to Reliance as there is one for Enercare.

If you are currently renting a water heater from them you may or may not be in a contract. This is important to know. If you are interested in purchasing your own tank or you are interested in renting from somewhere else you will want to know your terms and conditions.

To know for sure call Reliance 1-888-837-1451 and ask what is your exit fees. Do NOT ASK FOR THE BUYOUT. The buyout amount will often be huge.

Next they will tell you about several other fees if you leave them. If they tell you about a pickup fee or a drain and disconnect fee IGNORE THAT.

Whoever you get to install your new tank will drain, disconnect and often return it to Reliance for free. So most of the fees they tell you are irrelevant.

There are many places you can get your new tank from. Big box stores, plumbers, a few redflagdeal members, and enercare.

I say enercare because they rent but they also sell directly to customers as well. Enercare also provides up to $800 if you are switching from Reliance to Enercare. Depending on your monthly rental that is about 2yrs of free rental tank.

Final thing... most companies use contractors to help get the work done during busy times. There are good contractors and bad ones same as employees. If you are the type of person who doesn't like a sub contractor then I would hold off on calling Reliance for any service or installations right now. Reliance has locked out the employees and any work being performed right now will.be done by sub contractors.

If you have any questions just ask away. I have worked for enercare and Reliance. I know both companies pretty well.
Thanks for sharing this information. We have issues returning tanks for our clients to the rental companies. We usually move them to the garage and the homeowner schedules them to be picked up.
See our 2021 RFD Trane AC Group Buy
group-buy-gta-ottawa-2021-central-ac-gr ... e-2449494/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2466 posts
450 upvotes
Kitchener
fourseasoncomfort wrote: Thanks for sharing this information. We have issues returning tanks for our clients to the rental companies. We usually move them to the garage and the homeowner schedules them to be picked up.
If the paperwork is not perfect they will deny the return. Account number, cx name that's on file and address has to be spot on. If you are off by a digit they won't take it back.

Also rental companies often don't process the return paperwork quickly. If you are a home owner make sure you get confirmation in writing the tank has been returned. Save the document as you will need it when Reliance continues to bill you.
Tired of renting from Reliance? This might be useful reliance-home-comfort-2464779/2/#p34473179
Mar 31, 2006
593 posts
24 upvotes
Double_J wrote: If the paperwork is not perfect they will deny the return. Account number, cx name that's on file and address has to be spot on. If you are off by a digit they won't take it back.

Also rental companies often don't process the return paperwork quickly. If you are a home owner make sure you get confirmation in writing the tank has been returned. Save the document as you will need it when Reliance continues to bill you.
That's interesting, I just moved into a new house and previous owners rented water heater, reverse osmosis system, humidifier, air purifier and furnace from Reliance. There are two separate account numbers that were transferred under my name and in both accounts my name has been misspelled (each account in a different way), I wonder if on purpose to make the return difficult. I definitely want to get rid of the water heater and the filtering system.
Dec 25, 2018
440 posts
811 upvotes
On another topic I am using their heating protection plan $16.99 a month. Yes it’s a lot but I’ve had numerous fixes that would have cumulatively cost me $1500 and I’ve paid in maybe $400. They also are on call and will diagnose things pretty fast. I’ve been pretty happy with it. You could also try cancelling during spring/summer and signing up again two months before you need it. I didn’t as I’m lazy but it’s been worth it for me.

Also do ask them for buyout. My buyout was $400 so for me was worth it
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4036 posts
1068 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
darek_dade wrote: That's interesting, I just moved into a new house and previous owners rented water heater, reverse osmosis system, humidifier, air purifier and furnace from Reliance. There are two separate account numbers that were transferred under my name and in both accounts my name has been misspelled (each account in a different way), I wonder if on purpose to make the return difficult. I definitely want to get rid of the water heater and the filtering system.
How old is the equipment? Was it all installed around the same time?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2466 posts
450 upvotes
Kitchener
darek_dade wrote: That's interesting, I just moved into a new house and previous owners rented water heater, reverse osmosis system, humidifier, air purifier and furnace from Reliance. There are two separate account numbers that were transferred under my name and in both accounts my name has been misspelled (each account in a different way), I wonder if on purpose to make the return difficult. I definitely want to get rid of the water heater and the filtering system.
Hvac, and water purification contracts were 7yrs. So depending on when they were installed, you may have a few years left. After that you were allowed to find another installer to switch out/return your equipment.

Your tank is unlikely to be in a contract unless they roped it all in at the same time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2466 posts
450 upvotes
Kitchener
stevepoint wrote: On another topic I am using their heating protection plan $16.99 a month. Yes it’s a lot but I’ve had numerous fixes that would have cumulatively cost me $1500 and I’ve paid in maybe $400. They also are on call and will diagnose things pretty fast. I’ve been pretty happy with it. You could also try cancelling during spring/summer and signing up again two months before you need it. I didn’t as I’m lazy but it’s been worth it for me.

Also do ask them for buyout. My buyout was $400 so for me was worth it
Yup good way to work the system. They have a 21 day cooling off period. So if you identify an issue you can live with for 21 days you're laughing.

Dripping faucet, temperamental mixing valve, loud ventor motor and so on. Sign up for the plan pay your $20 and cancel after the repair has been made.

No term or contracts on protection plans just rinse and repeat.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1401 posts
487 upvotes
GTA
Double_J wrote: I say enercare because they rent but they also sell directly to customers as well. Enercare also provides up to $800 if you are switching from Reliance to Enercare. Depending on your monthly rental that is about 2yrs of free rental tank.
Are there any strings attached? If you choose to buy out the water heater, will Enercare claw back $800 credit?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2466 posts
450 upvotes
Kitchener
spyhero wrote: Are there any strings attached? If you choose to buy out the water heater, will Enercare claw back $800 credit?
Currently there are no strings although. I imagine it might change that if enough people exploit the loophole.
Mar 3, 2020
40 posts
16 upvotes
Just the right time I saw this thread, we recently moved from a condo to a TH and I just called them today to set up the account, HWT & Softener at $55+tax. A dollar saved always helps the family.

Please advise as I have limited knowledge and learning each day.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2466 posts
450 upvotes
Kitchener
periyava1894 wrote: Just the right time I saw this thread, we recently moved from a condo to a TH and I just called them today to set up the account, HWT & Softener at $55+tax. A dollar saved always helps the family.

Please advise as I have limited knowledge and learning each day.
Where are you located, and are you month to month for your Water heater?
Mar 3, 2020
40 posts
16 upvotes
Double_J wrote: Where are you located, and are you month to month for your Water heater?
I am in Guelph. Yes, month to month for HWT and softener contract is till 2026.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1992 posts
1007 upvotes
Ontario
Reliance doesn't even honor their service arrangements my mom has found out... I'd never use them at all. She pays way to much for lesser equipment that she has to hound them to maintain, no thanks, they suck! ;)
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3837 posts
2866 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Switching from Reliance to Enercare is like switching from dealing with one of Satans's minions to dealing with Satan himself.
Do you think they are going to just take an $800 as a loss?
Nope. You are going to get roped into convoluted contract where they make much, much more money.

BUY YOUR OWN STUFF, PEOPLE!
Feb 20, 2019
242 posts
89 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote: Switching from Reliance to Enercare is like switching from dealing with one of Satans's minions to dealing with Satan himself.
Do you think they are going to just take an $800 as a loss?
Nope. You are going to get roped into convoluted contract where they make much, much more money.

BUY YOUR OWN STUFF, PEOPLE!
What if you cancel the contract and buy out the unit as soon as you get your $800? Buyout is around $1600 for the first year. This will get you a brand new unit for around $1000? Got some quotes to buy and install a unit and they are all around $2000.

Am I missing something as I am planning to do this as well.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4036 posts
1068 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
mapleleaf6 wrote: What if you cancel the contract and buy out the unit as soon as you get your $800? Buyout is around $1600 for the first year. This will get you a brand new unit for around $1000? Got some quotes to buy and install a unit and they are all around $2000.

Am I missing something as I am planning to do this as well.
Chances are they won't offer $800, I expect that would be for a very high end unit.
Warranty on the tank is only one year.