• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2021 1:33 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4215 posts
1178 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Double_J wrote: Incorrect.
Why is it up to $800? Why are some offers less than $800?
Feb 8, 2012
59 posts
15 upvotes
TORONTO
Double_J wrote: To know for sure call Reliance 1-888-837-1451 and ask what is your exit fees. Do NOT ASK FOR THE BUYOUT. The buyout amount will often be huge.

If you have any questions just ask away. I have worked for enercare and Reliance. I know both companies pretty well.
Hi,

I just bought a home (still over a month before I move in) and realized they have a rental hot water heater with Enercare which I thought was owned. It was just installed late last year and the contract amount is $4950.

I had seen someone mention something about this exit fee with Enercare too but it’s hard to tell if that is only for older water heaters. Would I be able to get out of this rental with an exit fee for a water heater that was installed less than a year ago?

Thank you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2509 posts
479 upvotes
Kitchener
jwhiteney wrote: Hi,

I just bought a home (still over a month before I move in) and realized they have a rental hot water heater with Enercare which I thought was owned. It was just installed late last year and the contract amount is $4950.

I had seen someone mention something about this exit fee with Enercare too but it’s hard to tell if that is only for older water heaters. Would I be able to get out of this rental with an exit fee for a water heater that was installed less than a year ago?

Thank you.
$5,000 for a water heater? That can not be a normal tank. Are you sure it's not a something more complex?
Tired of renting from Reliance? This might be useful reliance-home-comfort-2464779/2/#p34473179
Feb 8, 2012
59 posts
15 upvotes
TORONTO
Double_J wrote: $5,000 for a water heater? That can not be a normal tank. Are you sure it's not a something more complex?
It’s a tankless water heater. Is $5000 still an expensive contract price for that?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2509 posts
479 upvotes
Kitchener
jwhiteney wrote: It’s a tankless water heater. Is $5000 still an expensive contract price for that?
Tankless are typically 3,500-4,000 before tax depending on the model. Are you quoting after tax? If so that sounds about right.
Tired of renting from Reliance? This might be useful reliance-home-comfort-2464779/2/#p34473179
Feb 8, 2012
59 posts
15 upvotes
TORONTO
Double_J wrote: Tankless are typically 3,500-4,000 before tax depending on the model. Are you quoting after tax? If so that sounds about right.
They said the total contract value is $4950 plus hst. The monthly bill is $45.13 plus hst.

Would I be able to get out of the contract with an exit fee for such a new heater?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2509 posts
479 upvotes
Kitchener
Does this provide heat and hot water? You might have a boiler (looks like a tankless). Do you have a picture of it?

The price they are telling you would be the price. You can try to negotiate but I'm not sure they would adjust it.
Feb 8, 2012
59 posts
15 upvotes
TORONTO
Double_J wrote: Does this provide heat and hot water? You might have a boiler (looks like a tankless). Do you have a picture of it?

The price they are telling you would be the price. You can try to negotiate but I'm not sure they would adjust it.
I only have one picture that isn’t very good when I walked through the home initially. Not sure if you can tell from this. The bill from enercare says “Rental Water Heater”.

Okay. So in my case the only way to terminate the contract is with the buyout price? There isn’t an exit fee?
ED035B2B-F2EB-4A62-8FCF-A2B6375E4749.jpeg
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1519 posts
582 upvotes
GTA
jwhiteney wrote: They said the total contract value is $4950 plus hst. The monthly bill is $45.13 plus hst.

Would I be able to get out of the contract with an exit fee for such a new heater?
The buyout price $4950 + HST is your exit fee. Does your Agreement of Purchase and Sale have a clause stating that buyer will assume rental water heater contract agreement? If it does not, you can ask your lawyer to make the seller buy out the water heater before closing.
Feb 8, 2012
59 posts
15 upvotes
TORONTO
spyhero wrote: The buyout price $4950 + HST is your exit fee. Does your Agreement of Purchase and Sale have a clause stating that buyer will assume rental water heater contract agreement? If it does not, you can ask your lawyer to make the seller buy out the water heater before closing.
Thanks for clarifying. I thought there were two separate fees... a buyout to keep the heater and end the contract or an exit fee to return the heater and end the contract.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1146 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks @spyhero for referring me to this thread :)

Im currently month to month on a rental with Reliance paying roughly $30 ish per month. My power vent hot water tank was installed back in 2006 with a current buy out of roughly $200~

I was looking to get rid of Reliance so had called them to ask about buy out etc a few months ago. I didnt go through with things as COVID got worse, but since things are better am back at looking at options.

I cant quite remember exactly what they said but I believe to get out of Reliance it would cost $75 to pick up the hot water tank I believe.

They also offered to install a "brand new tank rental", and if I went this route they would install and bring my set up to current code (I have black pipes). They quoted me a very rough buy out of $1600 if I decided to buy out this "new hot water tank" within the first year.

Not sure if anyone else is also with Reliance currently, but if I made the switch from Reliance to Enercare what would be involved?

I'm assuming I would need to pay Reliance "something" (like that $75 I mentioned) to leave them. Then Enercare would come in, install their stuff and start charging me.

What would the monthly fees be with Enercare roughly?

What would a buy out look like with Enercare?

If Enercare is similar to what I was told with Reliance rough calculation it would be lets say $2000 after all fees from leaving Reliance + a buy out from Enercare then minus $800 for the gift card for a final total of $1200 roughly?

Has anyone bothered to sign up with Enercare then leave them?

I guess one of my biggest questions is with whatever tank that either Reliance or Enercare installs - Are these tanks any "good"?

Reliance kept on telling me how the rental tanks they install are "commercial grade" and are very good - As they want to minimize service calls.

But then I heard some folks say the opposite that the tanks are just bulk purchases and not really any good.

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks for any advice!
Apr 8, 2013
161 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
I doubt very much that you'd be able to rent the tank for less than $30 per month. Your best option would be to contact a local HVAC company to obtain an estimate to have a new tank installed. Assuming that the tank were to cost you $1,600 it would pay for itself within five years.

Like any appliance HWTs can fail, however, it's very unlikely that you'll experience problems within the first 6-7 years. We had a new HWT installed six years ago and no problems thus far.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
1519 posts
582 upvotes
GTA
chillychin wrote: Thanks @spyhero for referring me to this thread :)

Im currently month to month on a rental with Reliance paying roughly $30 ish per month. My power vent hot water tank was installed back in 2006 with a current buy out of roughly $200~

I was looking to get rid of Reliance so had called them to ask about buy out etc a few months ago. I didnt go through with things as COVID got worse, but since things are better am back at looking at options.

I cant quite remember exactly what they said but I believe to get out of Reliance it would cost $75 to pick up the hot water tank I believe.

They also offered to install a "brand new tank rental", and if I went this route they would install and bring my set up to current code (I have black pipes). They quoted me a very rough buy out of $1600 if I decided to buy out this "new hot water tank" within the first year.

Not sure if anyone else is also with Reliance currently, but if I made the switch from Reliance to Enercare what would be involved?

I'm assuming I would need to pay Reliance "something" (like that $75 I mentioned) to leave them. Then Enercare would come in, install their stuff and start charging me.

If Enercare is similar to what I was told with Reliance rough calculation it would be lets say $2000 after all fees from leaving Reliance + a buy out from Enercare then minus $800 for the gift card for a final total of $1200 roughly?

I guess one of my biggest questions is with whatever tank that either Reliance or Enercare installs - Are these tanks any "good"?

Reliance kept on telling me how the rental tanks they install are "commercial grade" and are very good - As they want to minimize service calls.

But then I heard some folks say the opposite that the tanks are just bulk purchases and not really any good.

I'm sure @Double_J can answer all your questions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2509 posts
479 upvotes
Kitchener

Enercare PV rent for $31.45+tax. The incentive has changed to $700 instead of $800.

To get the biggest incentive you'd need a tech referral. Send me a message with your contact information.

The process is Enercare installs the new unit and returns the old one to reliance. Once you get the cc you can cancel the rental. The buyout in the first yr is $1,620.

In regards to tank quality - I haven't noticed anything differences
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1146 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto
Double_J wrote: Enercare PV rent for $31.45+tax. The incentive has changed to $700 instead of $800.

To get the biggest incentive you'd need a tech referral. Send me a message with your contact information.

The process is Enercare installs the new unit and returns the old one to reliance. Once you get the cc you can cancel the rental. The buyout in the first yr is $1,620.

In regards to tank quality - I haven't noticed anything differences
I think we are paying about the same currently with our Reliance rental @ $31.45 ish

And PM sent!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2509 posts
479 upvotes
Kitchener
It might be worth noting due to the on going lockout the wait time for an appointment can sometimes exceed several weeks. If you have an urgent requirement you likely can get another company to service the unit and submit the bill. I used to do this when I worked there I'm sure they are still doing it however you should double check.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1005 posts
625 upvotes
GTA

Though the tank is 15 years old and may die tomorrow or last a few more years, the buyout option is not bad at $200 considering that it's less than a year's worth of rental fees.

Provided there is a floor drain in the same room and close enough to the water heater, I would buy it out and run it until it dies.
You'll come out the same if it lasts around 7 months and ahead if it lasts longer.

It is a very bad idea to rent a water heater - even if the money isn't there when replacement is needed, it is cheaper to finance a new tank than rent it.
You can get out now and defer replacement cost as long as possible.
Jun 3, 2006
301 posts
8 upvotes
Innisfil
I am getting a new water tank installed with a contractor. To cancel my account with Reliance, do I have to submit the Notice of Termination form they have on their website? The contractor has said that he will drop off the tank at Reliance Depot for me. Under the Notice of Termination form,. it mentions something about a Pending Return Number. Is that what the contractor needs to drop off the tank on my behalf?