Home & Garden

Reliance Hot Water Rental

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 7:53 pm
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
6 posts

Reliance Hot Water Rental

I was made aware in the agreement of purchase that my home (purchased and closed a year+ ago) has a rental hot water tank. I've seen the tank and it looks like one from Reliance. As it's my first house, I wasn't sure how I'd be billed for the hot water tank and for some reason assumed that since I'm paying every utility bill that shows up at the address, this would have naturally been covered. Now I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a separate bill so pretty much I haven't been getting any bills from Reliance for the hot water tank rental for a year+. I don't want to fall into collections but no one's presented me with a contract or bill yet and I'm worried that if I contact Reliance, they'll bill me the entire year plus interest (or some other ridiculous fee for late payment). How should I approach this?
13 replies
Feb 3, 2012
295 posts
155 upvotes
T.O.
cmster wrote: I was made aware in the agreement of purchase that my home (purchased and closed a year+ ago) has a rental hot water tank. I've seen the tank and it looks like one from Reliance. As it's my first house, I wasn't sure how I'd be billed for the hot water tank and for some reason assumed that since I'm paying every utility bill that shows up at the address, this would have naturally been covered. Now I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a separate bill so pretty much I haven't been getting any bills from Reliance for the hot water tank rental for a year+. I don't want to fall into collections but no one's presented me with a contract or bill yet and I'm worried that if I contact Reliance, they'll bill me the entire year plus interest (or some other ridiculous fee for late payment). How should I approach this?
The rental may be included in your gas or electricity bill.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8184 posts
2822 upvotes
Maple
May be the previous owner forgot to transfer ownership of the tank to you.
May be the rental of the tank is finished.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16540 posts
18100 upvotes
Oakville
Reliance will eventually do a search on the title transfer records and send you a bill, or just send a generic bill to your address. They don't charge interest so there's no rush to pay. You might not even be under contract if it's old enough.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33808 posts
7450 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I wouldn’t do a thing. How old is the tank?

If Reliance eventually sends you a bill. I would actually contest it. Tell them you were unaware of any rental agree to and try to buy out the tank.
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
6 posts
It's 10 years old. Do you think it'd be pricey to buy out a 10 year old reliance tank? Would they be able to bill me for the past year's rental fees? If it's not too much, I might just offer to buy it just so this isn't looming over me. That way I also have the freedom to get rid of it and buy my own tank whenever I want.
Aug 27, 2017
3 posts
There is no point in buying a 10 year old tank.. google the useful life of a water tank and you will see they recommend changing it at 10 years.. I just switched insurance companies and they are making me change it.. its 10 years old..
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8184 posts
2822 upvotes
Maple
I bought mine out after 10 years contract with Reliance; this was 7 years ago. They quoted me $150 initially then they changed the price to $500. I insisted $150 because they issued get out bill of $150. I used the tank for couple more years then I got new tank installed. It's great feeling from rental free.

For your case, they may quote you $400. Give them a call, if it's too high then just buy new one.
cmster wrote: It's 10 years old. Do you think it'd be pricey to buy out a 10 year old reliance tank? Would they be able to bill me for the past year's rental fees? If it's not too much, I might just offer to buy it just so this isn't looming over me. That way I also have the freedom to get rid of it and buy my own tank whenever I want.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1560 posts
676 upvotes
I bought out my 11 year old tank 3 years ago. Paid $300 I think. Already saved double that much by not paying them monthly. Honestly even if it only lasted 2 years you are ahead of the game. Rentals suck.
Selling 2017 Ford Focus Electric, White, Cloth, 2 Sets of Tires and Rims, Undercoated and 3M Front End, 56k, - $16,000.00
Selling 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Unlimited Hybrid, White, 18inch x 2 Sets of Wheels, Undercoated, 48k, Extend War - $38,000.00
Aug 27, 2017
3 posts
the issue, as I understand it, is that its prone to leak after 10 years of so.. if it does it will be a mess..
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33808 posts
7450 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
cmster wrote: It's 10 years old. Do you think it'd be pricey to buy out a 10 year old reliance tank? Would they be able to bill me for the past year's rental fees? If it's not too much, I might just offer to buy it just so this isn't looming over me. That way I also have the freedom to get rid of it and buy my own tank whenever I want.
First. Don’t call them. Just sit tight. If they call you, complain and said you were unaware of he rental and refuse to pay

Then offer to buy out the tank. If the price is too high, tell them to take it back.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16540 posts
18100 upvotes
Oakville
Jerry321 wrote: the issue, as I understand it, is that its prone to leak after 10 years of so.. if it does it will be a mess..
If you don't maintain the tank at all then 10-12 years may be all that can be expected. If you maintain the tank, it can easily last 15-20 years.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
6 posts
cmster wrote: Would they be able to bill me for the past year's rental fees?
Does anyone have any experience with this?