Home & Garden

RELIANCE- LEAK- Has anyone been denied a claim?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2020 12:17 am
Tags:
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 19, 2018
28 posts
12 upvotes

RELIANCE- LEAK- Has anyone been denied a claim?

Hi guys,

Reliance water heater leaked into the unit below in our townhouse. We paid the property management and filed a claim under reliance. They are the most incompetent people but anyways, has anyone had the same issue and the company HAS NOT paid you???
31 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19712 posts
23107 upvotes
GTA
Good luck. I've never heard anything good about Reliance. You're better off buying your own tank and saving the money for cases like this.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9966 upvotes
Edmonton
Did you read the Terms and Conditions of your contract with them?
https://reliancehomecomfort.com/wp-cont ... ntract.pdf
Liability
• We are not the manufacturer of the water heater and
we make no representations, warranties or conditions
as to the performance of the water heater, except for
those which are given by statute and which you cannot
waive. We will not be liable for any loss, damage or injury
of any type (including as a result of any water leakage)
arising out of or related to this agreement or caused or
contributed to in any way by the use and operation of
the water heater or any indirect, incidental, special or
consequential damages, even if reasonably foreseeable.

• If we are unable to perform any of our obligations under
this agreement because of circumstances or events
beyond our control, we shall be excused from the
performance of such obligations for the duration of such
circumstances or events and we shall not be liable to
you for such failure to perform. We may use agents and
service providers that are located outside of Canada to
process applications, information and transactions. In
the event that an agent or a service provider cannot or
will not process any transaction in connection with your
application or your account, by reason that the agent or
service provider may violate any law, regulation, rule
or internal policy applicable to it, or otherwise suffer
legal and/or reputational risks, then we may be unable
to complete the transaction or activate your account. In
such event, neither we, nor our agent or service provider
will be liable in respect of any such incomplete transaction
or inactivated account.
• You will indemnify us from any loss or damage to the water
heater for any reason (other than normal wear and tear)
and all claims, losses and costs that we may suffer or
pay or may be required to pay, including legal expenses,
in connection with the water heater, this agreement or
the use and operation of the water heater, including any
claims against us for any injury or death to individuals or
damage to property.
Bold added for emphasis...

C
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 19, 2018
28 posts
12 upvotes
We never signed anything with them. We took over the old contract but we didn’t agree to anything. No signature of ours is anywhere. I filed the claim and they actually said they will look into it and see but it’s been over 10 wks cuz they lost the paperwork. Anyways, my property manager said 3 people have gotten their money back so who knows but we haven’t seen a penny with this dumbass company.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
19712 posts
23107 upvotes
GTA
LinaSauga wrote: We never signed anything with them. We took over the old contract but we didn’t agree to anything. No signature of ours is anywhere. I filed the claim and they actually said they will look into it and see but it’s been over 10 wks cuz they lost the paperwork. Anyways, my property manager said 3 people have gotten their money back so who knows but we haven’t seen a penny with this dumbass company.
You're probably out of contract then, hopefully you didn't have them install a new tank after the leak. After this is sorted you should definitely return the tank and install your own.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 19, 2018
28 posts
12 upvotes
No we didnt install anything else. The guy came and fix the valve and basically said it was a shitty valve. We have waited 10 weeks( they told us thats the max) and now, I come to find out they didnt put the claim in at ALL!!! I had email them a bunch of times! How stupid. Anyways, so a new girl is taking care of it but cant tell me how long the claim will take to give me an answer of YES OR NO, in terms of reimbursing us. They do not want me to call back and said they will email me the answer. I just want to scream and sue them! lol I do not recommend them as they all seem to blame others and not know their own jobs properly! We paid out of pocket so we just want the money back!!! Especially when the building management said they had people reimbursed for the same issue!
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 19, 2018
28 posts
12 upvotes
No we didnt install anything else. The guy came and fix the valve and basically said it was a shitty valve. We have waited 10 weeks( they told us thats the max) and now, I come to find out they didnt put the claim in at ALL!!! I had email them a bunch of times! How stupid. Anyways, so a new girl is taking care of it but cant tell me how long the claim will take to give me an answer of YES OR NO, in terms of reimbursing us. They do not want me to call back and said they will email me the answer. I just want to scream and sue them! lol I do not recommend them as they all seem to blame others and not know their own jobs properly! We paid out of pocket so we just want the money back!!! Especially when the building management said they had people reimbursed for the same issue!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9966 upvotes
Edmonton
Did the other people get reimbursed from Reliance? Or reimbursed from their insurance company? Because it seems to me that if you had your own HWT, you would make a claim against your insurance company.

C
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 19, 2018
28 posts
12 upvotes
Apparently the management said that 3 other people have filed against reliance and ALL got their money back. My insurance deductible isnt enough to file with them and for 700 dollars, it wouldnt make sense. They are now looking into my claim but its been over 10 weeks! Just curious if someone has gone through this and been rejected!
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1995 posts
1016 upvotes
I'm actually not aware that Reliance would pay for any damages caused by their tank leaking. The best they can do is provide the paper showing that the tank is less than 10 year old and installed by a certified technician, which would allow you to make insurance claims. Actually their tank rental has a schedule of 16 years, but insurance only covers tanks up to 10 years old. I know that because that's the pitch by Reliance guy in trying to get me to buy out my Enercare tank at my expense, and put in their rental.

On the other hand, if it's a condo, maybe the board forced Reliance to provide this coverage, resulting in higher rental rate?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9966 upvotes
Edmonton
BlueSolstice wrote: I'm actually not aware that Reliance would pay for any damages caused by their tank leaking. The best they can do is provide the paper showing that the tank is less than 10 year old and installed by a certified technician, which would allow you to make insurance claims. Actually their tank rental has a schedule of 16 years, but insurance only covers tanks up to 10 years old. I know that because that's the pitch by Reliance guy in trying to get me to buy out my Enercare tank at my expense, and put in their rental.

On the other hand, if it's a condo, maybe the board forced Reliance to provide this coverage, resulting in higher rental rate?
Look at the two links I posted. Reliance lost on appeal on those two cases and had to shell out. They would prefer you dealt with your insurance company, obviously, but based on the precedent of those cases, the OP shouldn't have to. No deductible payout, no rate increase.

C
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 19, 2018
28 posts
12 upvotes
Yeah they were trying to get us to file under our own insurance and then file against Daniels Homes Management but Daniels Home said Hell to the NO~! Reliance is at fault as we do not go into the area where the water tank is , but it sprayed since they used a cheap plastic. The repair guy from Reliance said its cause of the plastic and he has seen this happen before! So I just want to get my moola back!
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 19, 2018
28 posts
12 upvotes
Oh and also the rental is less then 9 years old as our house was built 9 years ago.
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
491 upvotes
Rockwood
LinaSauga wrote: Yeah they were trying to get us to file under our own insurance and then file against Daniels Homes Management but Daniels Home said Hell to the NO~! Reliance is at fault as we do not go into the area where the water tank is , but it sprayed since they used a cheap plastic. The repair guy from Reliance said its cause of the plastic and he has seen this happen before! So I just want to get my moola back!
Must say I love your attitude, if it's anything like the way you write you must be a hoot! And I'm not being sarcastic.

Sorry I have nothing to add on the situation.
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 19, 2018
28 posts
12 upvotes
Lol i am a hoot:) lol no seriously, i want my moola back!!!! 700 isnt much but i dont want stupid big corporations to have it. I rather give it to an animal shelter!!! Thanks for all the replies guys. Wish me luck!
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 19, 2018
28 posts
12 upvotes
UPDATE- The new girl took over the claim and offered me exactly half of what I paid for? My hubby said **** off , do not take first offer but I am afraid if we say no, they will just say no completely. What would you guys do? And wtf??? they said it takes 8-10 weeks for full investigation but this chick filed the new claim last night and its 'done'!! RELIANCE SUCKS ASSAGE!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9966 upvotes
Edmonton
LinaSauga wrote: UPDATE- The new girl took over the claim and offered me exactly half of what I paid for? My hubby said **** off , do not take first offer but I am afraid if we say no, they will just say no completely. What would you guys do? And wtf??? they said it takes 8-10 weeks for full investigation but this chick filed the new claim last night and its 'done'!! RELIANCE SUCKS ASSAGE!
Cite the cases I gave you, and remind them they lost in small claims court before. Escalate it to a manager if you need to.

C
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 19, 2018
28 posts
12 upvotes
Funny cuz those two links u sent , i read them when this whole thing happened. My husband said to tell them the same thing you are but damn, do i want to go to small claims and waste more time....ahh . im waiting for him to call them tmrw on his day off. As much as im super bitchy, i cant tell people off over the phone. Lol

Top