Careers

Relocate to US or look for a job in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2015 11:27 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 19, 2009
92 posts
3 upvotes
mississauga

Relocate to US or look for a job in Toronto?

I've got about 8 years of work experience in my field, and I just got my degree in Information Technology. I've lived in US for a while, and actually worked on TN Visa.

I have not even bothered to look for a job in Toronto, but I am wondering as to what you guys think. Is it even worth looking for an IT job in Toronto? I can without a problem get another job offer in US, who will sponsor me with TN Visa, and I would start off at 40-50$/hr based on education/experience. One job offer I had was giving me full paid training + $ 6,000 just for living/transportation costs.

US has a better economy and a better job market, so I am actually considering relocating for good. I am tired of making sh!t money in Canada, and cold winters. Personally, I am ready to give up on living in Ontario. I don't think I'll ever make decent money to even own a house in Canada.

Should I move to US if I am given the opportunity? should I at least spend some time searching for an IT job in Ontario? I've got my graduation in June in Toronto, and I haven't applied for a single job in Ontario yet.
38 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2008
2631 posts
680 upvotes
I don't understand why you're asking us. You clearly have a preconceived notion of what you want to do. Pursue your happiness however you'd like.
Jul 23, 2014
232 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sounds like you have negative opinions towards Ontario, plus those past offers are pretty good. I'd suggest moving there, but I'd also consider everything you would be leaving behind here.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2009
92 posts
3 upvotes
mississauga
AwakeForever wrote: Sounds like you have negative opinions towards Ontario, plus those past offers are pretty good. I'd suggest moving there, but I'd also consider everything you would be leaving behind here.
I have to consider my family and friends, but I have to think about my future. I would like to be financially stable and be able to support myself.
Dec 25, 2006
370 posts
62 upvotes
Waterloo
You want to move to US. You have already answered your question. You will also help one Canadian get closer to the job they are seeking this way by being one person out of competition here.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5426 posts
1734 upvotes
You haven't applied to a single job in Ontario yet, but you already think the pay is bad? I'm sure there are good jobs here.

You should apply to jobs here first. If you don't like it, you can relocate with no regrets.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7132 posts
4030 upvotes
Ottawa
It's all a matter of priorities. I spent several years working in the US but now that I have a family, I wouldn't want to raise them there. But there are certainly more opportunities in the US.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
I think you want to go back to the U.S. and you already have your answer ;)

I say go for it, but still apply for jobs in Ontario so you get a feel of what else is out there.
Banned
May 19, 2015
53 posts
6 upvotes
ON
So this thread was started to let us all know that you (OP) can get a job in the US because you have a TN visa? I don't think many people will take a job in the US even if it was visa free (I am one of them), considering other factors you have to deal with over there besides the 300 million plus people.
Sep 28, 2013
803 posts
571 upvotes
as many implied, it comes down to how much the incremental salary difference you earn in the States vs Canada offsets the perceived disadvantages of you living there. Amongst those disadvantages are the fact that you're effectively a 'temp' without permanent status, the lack of personal safety as opposed to Canada, and the people you're surrounded by. I would be happy to work and live in the US but would hesitate raising a family there.

In financial services, the US offers substantially more opportunity for income and for career growth. I'm not sure about IT, but I imagine it's a similar story.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2015
1032 posts
232 upvotes
Fort Mac, AB/Lambton…
angrybanker wrote: as many implied, it comes down to how much the incremental salary difference you earn in the States vs Canada offsets the perceived disadvantages of you living there. Amongst those disadvantages are the fact that you're effectively a 'temp' without permanent status, the lack of personal safety as opposed to Canada, and the people you're surrounded by. I would be happy to work and live in the US but would hesitate raising a family there.

In financial services, the US offers substantially more opportunity for income and for career growth. I'm not sure about IT, but I imagine it's a similar story.
How family-suitable a move to the US is depends a lot on the location.

Canada is good across the board, with not a great difference between the best places and the worst. The US is a lot more municipality-dependent, so you have cities that are way nicer than any Canadian city, and cities that are far worse than any Canadian city. Personally, I like that Canada is very much the same across the board. We, with very few exceptions, don't have to plan our travels around bad parts of town, and that's awesome. It's even that way in the big cities. In the States, there are definitely rough patches, and they can be scattered about - even in suburbia. But you can also take advantage of it, so long as you have a solid income and a good employer-paid health insurance plan. You can cherry pick the suburb or town you live in, according to what you're looking for. Good hospitals, awesome schools, cool pubs, top-notch city services, etc... Depending on what you can afford, those can far exceed in quality what any city in Canada can provide. Then you're taking advantage of the inequality, so to speak.
Sep 28, 2013
803 posts
571 upvotes
justaskthescientician wrote: How family-suitable a move to the US is depends a lot on the location.

Canada is good across the board, with not a great difference between the best places and the worst. The US is a lot more municipality-dependent, so you have cities that are way nicer than any Canadian city, and cities that are far worse than any Canadian city. Personally, I like that Canada is very much the same across the board. We, with very few exceptions, don't have to plan our travels around bad parts of town, and that's awesome. It's even that way in the big cities. In the States, there are definitely rough patches, and they can be scattered about - even in suburbia. But you can also take advantage of it, so long as you have a solid income and a good employer-paid health insurance plan. You can cherry pick the suburb or town you live in, according to what you're looking for. Good hospitals, awesome schools, cool pubs, top-notch city services, etc... Depending on what you can afford, those can far exceed in quality what any city in Canada can provide. Then you're taking advantage of the inequality, so to speak.
great post. agree 100%.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1088 posts
348 upvotes
bramptonmt wrote: You will also help one Canadian get closer to the job they are seeking this way by being one person out of competition here.
LOL. Wtf.
Dec 25, 2006
370 posts
62 upvotes
Waterloo
ironbrah wrote: LOL. Wtf.
People moving to US on TN should ease some pressure off supersaturated, highly competitive Southern Ontario job market. Might be very tiny bit but every drop counts! It is crazy to hear people have been unemployed for years altogether!
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3131 posts
2971 upvotes
Antarctica
I would say relocate. As long as you think you can deal with no state healthcare (one could pay for their own, but for some reason I hear lots of horror stories or general hate for US healthcare). Personally I would take a better opportunity if it meant faster financial freedom in the long run. Also better chances to be an entrepreneur there.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1859 posts
343 upvotes
Woodbridge
go to the US and dont look back
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2111 posts
841 upvotes
Has anyone heard of Canadian illegal immigrants into the U.S job market and acquired decent jobs and future residency? We here all the stories of Mexican aliens in the low end U.S. job market but what about educated Canadians with degrees but do not satisfy the TN Visa requirements. If a Mexican can relatively easy dodge immigration why can't educated Canadians work there without all the massive headaches of Visa impediments?

Moreover we here all the time Americans infiltrating the Canadian residency i.e. the draft dodgers (Viet, Iraq wars etc) but not the other way around.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37678 posts
5426 upvotes
Winnipeg
there is no job in toronto
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2015
1032 posts
232 upvotes
Fort Mac, AB/Lambton…
astrotrain wrote: Has anyone heard of Canadian illegal immigrants into the U.S job market and acquired decent jobs and future residency? We here all the stories of Mexican aliens in the low end U.S. job market but what about educated Canadians with degrees but do not satisfy the TN Visa requirements. If a Mexican can relatively easy dodge immigration why can't educated Canadians work there without all the massive headaches of Visa impediments?

Moreover we here all the time Americans infiltrating the Canadian residency i.e. the draft dodgers (Viet, Iraq wars etc) but not the other way around.
Mexicans are willing to take the crappy jobs that pay cash. The employer is cool with paying cash because he or she is paying the workers considerably less than minimum wage. That's why you don't hear about Canadians as illegal immigrants in the States: it's not worth it to move from Canada to the US to make $3 an hour. It's in cash, though, so that's a positive. No income tax for you.