None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1743 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto

Relocating water softener

The previous owner had the water softener installed in the living room of the basement and it looks like crap. They just ripped the drywall from the wall where water enters the house and never patched it up.

The utilities room has plenty of space for this but it's located all the way across the house. While it would work for the hot water, I believe the cold water pipes spread across the house before the utilities room. I can't easily tell because the basement is finished.

Looking for some options, should I just get rid of it completely or buy a newer device that looks nicer ? Should I build a little closer and let it stay where it is ? Can I move it to the utilities room ? Not willing to drop a whole lot of cash on this as it's a low priority project at the moment.
Images
  • upload.jpg
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6446 posts
1094 upvotes
krypton wrote: The utilities room has plenty of space for this but it's located all the way across the house. While it would work for the hot water, I believe the cold water pipes spread across the house before the utilities room. I can't easily tell because the basement is finished.
This! You would have to find out for sure if cold water pipes split off before the utility room. I would guess yes, which means you can not move the softener easily if at all. Nothing wrong with the look of the softener and the current location. You should put your effort into cleaning up that mess and replacing the drywall. Do a good job and the softener placed in that corner will barely be noticeable. Don't start a big project when a small one will do.

As for getting rid of it completely you can try turning it off and bypassing it for a month and see whether the hard water you will be getting is acceptable.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1743 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
woof wrote:
This! You would have to find out for sure if cold water pipes split off before the utility room. I would guess yes, which means you can not move the softener easily if at all. Nothing wrong with the look of the softener and the current location. You should put your effort into cleaning up that mess and replacing the drywall. Do a good job and the softener placed in that corner will barely be noticeable. Don't start a big project when a small one will do.

As for getting rid of it completely you can try turning it off and bypassing it for a month and see whether the hard water you will be getting is acceptable.
Good idea, I've tried the bypass knob but it's really stuck - guessing nobody ever used it and the unit is pretty old, but seems to work fine otherwise. I tried forcing it by turning it a little (as per some YouTube videos) but it just started to leak so I left it be
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2839 posts
1603 upvotes
Mississauga
On a related note, water meter is also there. And the main shut off should be around as well. So is not a good idea to completely enclose it behind drywall.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20713 posts
7773 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Being sideways you might have trouble refilling it but you could build an openable wood frame over it and drywall it, giving you aesthetic relief and a corner shelf to put things on.

With todays wood prices you might have to remortgage the house to afford this but it will make the house look nicer which i am told increases resale value. In 25-30 years you will have paid off the second mortgage.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1057 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
Dumb thought, but what about just softening hot water and laundry water (assuming your laundry is in utility room)?

If you're taking 40C showers and your incoming water is 10C and your hot water is 60C, you're at little over half-softened water. A dishwasher is only connected to hot water. Hand-washing is largely using slightly cooled water from the hot line, so it'll be like 60-70% hot water. You may not want to drink the extra sodium from softened water anyway.

If you're in Toronto, do you need a softener?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1743 posts
257 upvotes
Toronto
HammerRFDer wrote: Dumb thought, but what about just softening hot water and laundry water (assuming your laundry is in utility room)?

If you're taking 40C showers and your incoming water is 10C and your hot water is 60C, you're at little over half-softened water. A dishwasher is only connected to hot water. Hand-washing is largely using slightly cooled water from the hot line, so it'll be like 60-70% hot water. You may not want to drink the extra sodium from softened water anyway.

If you're in Toronto, do you need a softener?
I'm in Mississauga. I was able to push in the bypass valve so I'll test it for a week or so and see if there's much of a difference without water softener.