Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2022 11:15 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
5170 posts
6066 upvotes
GTA
oj777 wrote: What I'm describing goes beyond SCOP. For me this has been my 1st experience at any business in Canada where they refused to honour an expired shelf tag.

Even businesses like Rexall and Farm Boy where they don't follow SCOP, from previous experiences when a price discrepancy arose and the shelf tag was lower than the scanned price (and expired), they would just say "oh that was from last week's sale, but since the tag was still up we'll give it to you for that price / we have to give it to you for that price".

Odds are most people still don't look at the dates on shelf tags, and it's annoying when something scans in at a higher price. It's even worse when a cashier calls someone to check, verify the shelf tag price only to tell you 10 minutes later: sorry the shelf tag is expired and we don't honour expired tags.

If all businesses started doing this practice then there's no incentive for staff to change the tags anymore.
That's nice of them to honour the expired price but they are not obligated to do so. Yes it's annoying when they don't remove the old tags but with the expiry date on them they are no longer valid. Sure there's incentive for staff to change the tags, it avoids annoying the customer to the point that they will take their business elsewhere. No owner or manager wants to deal with complaints from the customers and they sure don't want a call from HQ about complaints about their location.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2017
1067 posts
1230 upvotes
One of my friends is telling me that SCOP applies for items that scan in lower than the shelf price. I'm saying otherwise, but he is very confident.
Sep 16, 2007
624 posts
127 upvotes
Ancaster
IHavocI wrote: One of my friends is telling me that SCOP applies for items that scan in lower than the shelf price. I'm saying otherwise, but he is very confident.
You would be correct. Your friend is wrong.
She/Her
Jul 23, 2015
843 posts
621 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Looking for thoughts on this "opportunity "

Local Shoppers drug mart put up their sale shelf tags starting at like 6pm the day BEFORE the sale starts.

I picked up a few things and tried to check out, naturally I was surprised all the prices were wrong. Kinda lucky for the clearly new cashier I wasn't In the mood to argue.

Tags only have expiry date.

So, I should be able to get free/$10off for all these things right?

Its incredibly frustrating they do this, they should be paying people to change tags after hours, not tricking customers into buying shit b4 the sale starts!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
4937 posts
39577 upvotes
Nibbler2012 wrote: Looking for thoughts on this "opportunity "

Local Shoppers drug mart put up their sale shelf tags starting at like 6pm the day BEFORE the sale starts.

I picked up a few things and tried to check out, naturally I was surprised all the prices were wrong. Kinda lucky for the clearly new cashier I wasn't In the mood to argue.

Its incredibly frustrating they do this, they should be paying people to change tags after hours, not tricking customers into buying shit b4 the sale starts!!!
Not 100% sure but I think SCOP would apply. Since there was no start date and the sale hadn't expired, I think it would apply.

You can always email the RCC here to get an answer. [email protected]
Jul 23, 2015
843 posts
621 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
hill15 wrote: You can always email the RCC here to get an answer. [email protected]
I've never got an answer from leaving them a voicemail, do they actually reply to emails?

Going to give it a shot next week and see what I get lol
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
4937 posts
39577 upvotes
Nibbler2012 wrote: I've never got an answer from leaving them a voicemail, do they actually reply to emails?

Email them. It might take a few days but you should get a response.
Sep 16, 2007
624 posts
127 upvotes
Ancaster
Nibbler2012 wrote: I've never got an answer from leaving them a voicemail, do they actually reply to emails?

Yes it would be SCOP.
There is no need to call the retail counsel.
You should have asked for SCOP at the time of sale.
Trying to get SCOP now is a little bit late in the game.
She/Her
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
16296 posts
4096 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
I have literally been picking up a package of coffee from Superstore on daily basis, since their tagged price is $12.99 and it scans at $14.49. 4 days in, 3 packs out. lol for $2.99
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
16296 posts
4096 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Nibbler2012 wrote: Looking for thoughts on this "opportunity "

This is a shoppers thing, and not sure if SCOP applies fully, since you got it before the sale start date.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
4937 posts
39577 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: This is a shoppers thing, and not sure if SCOP applies fully, since you got it before the sale start date.
Not 100% sure but I think SCOP would apply because the tags don't specific a start date, only a end date.
Mar 17, 2022
23 posts
14 upvotes
They are using this as an excuse to deny free items around 90% of the label at RCSS near me are always expired, and they never write original price on their labels so they can’t implement label expiry clause, I have just logged a complaint with RCC with pictures of their wrongdoing
Sep 16, 2007
624 posts
127 upvotes
Ancaster
ullo2000 wrote: They are using this as an excuse to deny free items around 90% of the label at RCSS near me are always expired, and they never write original price on their labels so they can’t implement label expiry clause, I have just logged a complaint with RCC with pictures of their wrongdoing
Can you share a picture of the tag you're disputing?
She/Her
Mar 17, 2022
23 posts
14 upvotes
MartinaC32 wrote: Can you share a picture of the tag you're disputing?
there are multiple, just attached 2 for reference, plus example of Walmart add to show how it should be
Images
  • barcode_05719750280_Sujraj_chilies_invoice.jpg
  • barcode_05719750280_suraj_chilies_label.jpg
  • barcode_05850427006_clic_semolin_invoice.jpg
  • barcode_05850427006_clic_semolin_pricelabel.jpg
  • walmart_Example.JPG
Sep 16, 2007
624 posts
127 upvotes
Ancaster
ullo2000 wrote: there are multiple, just attached 2 for reference, plus example of Walmart add to show how it should be
The one promo expired back in 2021. Someone isn't doing their job. I would definitely reach out to the manager of that location and if you don't get anywhere with that then I would reach out to the Retail Council of Canada. 1-866-499-4599 and register a complaint.

They opted in to SCOP they have to honour it.
She/Her
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13243 posts
2614 upvotes
Vancouver
Free chocolate almonds today :) big display of PC Almonds showed $2.99 , reg $4.99. The POS price showed $3.99. Pretty messed up. I asked for the free almonds based on SCOP. She quickly refunded me and I walked out with my almonds. They always taste better when free ;)
Nov 11, 2018
184 posts
127 upvotes
London, ON
I wasn't aware of SCOP. A few months back I got 2 different kinds of chillies from RCSS. They had different price tags (by weight) but one of them rung up more. I took it to CS and they called the tagging Dept to tell me that they had mis-tagged the price by weight.

I told them I didn't want it.

Last week something similar happened at Walmart (this time I got to know about SCOP). The self checkout assistant just asked me to take my peppers for free. In hindsight I could have bought more peppers.
Aug 30, 2005
326 posts
365 upvotes
Loblaws, Bought 2 different bags of nuts, both charged 15.99$ while showing 12.99$ on the shelf. Customer service would only give me 10$ off only on 1st product, even though they were 2 different products. They gave 2 x 10$ off after my insisting they were different products, and they accepted it "only this time", and mentioned the SCOP policy changed 2 weeks ago.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25298 posts
21814 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
frank2162 wrote: they accepted it "only this time", and mentioned the SCOP policy changed 2 weeks ago.
I would have asked to see the memo or web page that announced this change. Don't let the bozos bullshit their way out of an error of their own making.
veni, vidi, Visa