Shopping Discussion

Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2022 1:46 am
Newbie
Nov 12, 2003
65 posts
6 upvotes
The Source by CC doesn't seem to honour it. I got a pair of earbuds which had an unmistakable sign above it showing a $10 discount. The thing scanned at the usual price and I showed the associate the tag showing the sale price. Got apologies, but didn't get a further $10 off, and it would not have made the price $0 or less. Didn't push the SCOP.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
7237 posts
1568 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
yamahaha wrote:The Source by CC doesn't seem to honour it. I got a pair of earbuds which had an unmistakable sign above it showing a $10 discount. The thing scanned at the usual price and I showed the associate the tag showing the sale price. Got apologies, but didn't get a further $10 off, and it would not have made the price $0 or less. Didn't push the SCOP.
There is a list of Signatories to Scanner Accuracy if you check the link on the first post.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 10, 2001
891 posts
191 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
As per usual superstore had one price screwed up, so I got my one item for free but the customer service person did not know how to process the one free and the other at the correct price. She screwed up and somehow gave me both for free. I did not want her to get in trouble so I pointed out to her that she had done something wrong but she did not want to correct it. It was only a small item worth 2.00 bux.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
7237 posts
1568 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
I wonder to what degree that messes up their inventory tracking.
When I got my ten cans free, the cashier just bypassed the scanner so they don't show up on my receipt or in their database as having been sold (they should really show up somewhere at $0.00).
I assume they figure in the end that someone stole ten cans from the store.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2004
2301 posts
I went in to No Frills today and noticed that they had McCain International Pizza (Greek) on sale on the shelf for $3.97.

However, they rang in for $6.47, so I got one free becasue of SCOP (bought 2) and used 2 Cash for Kids 0.75c coupons. [2 Int'l pizzas cost me $2.47.]

It took a very long time to check. Then the stock person stated only Cheese pizza was onsale. I insisted it was Greek, so finally they checked and confirmed that the Greek flavour was on sale. [The line up looked pretty pissed off by this point.]

The Cashier was pleasant about everything though. :)
She even had to double check to see if one of my $5 bills; 'washed with my jeans' was a fraud. :lol:
Newbie
Jul 13, 2005
15 posts
I have had similar experience at Loblaws, Bayview Village 3 times over the last few months and everytime I got the item free, as it was under $10..... So it does work
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 18, 2005
4142 posts
1 upvote
Is it actually illegal to advertise something for lower and then sell it for higher when scanned? I don't think my local food store implements this but their price tags on products are sometimes lower than the scanned price.
Want some disappointment?
"That was easy!"

There are some things money can't buy, for the widest selection of these items, there is Stooples
Newbie
Oct 25, 2004
64 posts
Worked for me!!

Last week Thrifty Foods had Oregon Chai 943ml Tetra concentrated drinks advertised for $4.49, I bought two diff flavours and one scanned in at the regular price of $5.99, so I got it for free! I considered going and grabbing more and going to a different till...but I didn't :cheesygri
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 17, 2004
1237 posts
714 upvotes
Markham
Worked for me too at Loblaws.

Cereal for $4.19, scanned at $4.29.

Dish detergent for $2.29, scanned at $2.39.

They must be training staff a lot better: these were 2 separate visits, both times they rung it in free (after confirming) without being asked.
Member
User avatar
Jan 22, 2006
446 posts
1 upvote
rodenti wrote:I figure that Zellers doesn't adopt the code because they are one of the biggest offenders when it comes to scanner/price tag mismatch... it would cost them a fortune to give away most of the stuff in their store for free :)
THey don't, I am forever going to customer service to amend the wrongly scanned price!!! Its such a hassle, that I rarely will shop there! Frustrating!
Welcome to the Jungle: 4 Cats and 4 Kids
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2691 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
doonah wrote:Last week Thrifty Foods had Oregon Chai 943ml Tetra concentrated drinks advertised for $4.49, I bought two diff flavours and one scanned in at the regular price of $5.99, so I got it for free! I considered going and grabbing more and going to a different till...but I didn't :cheesygri
only the first would be free, the rest would be at the actual price ;)
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Quadcats wrote:THey don't, I am forever going to customer service to amend the wrongly scanned price!!! Its such a hassle, that I rarely will shop there! Frustrating!
You have to identify the workers. At my location, there's a guy who's fairly relaxed about it, and will help you out to get discounts. I once claimed a 50% off DVD promo days after it expired, because Zellers forgot to take the labels down... :)
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3897 posts
687 upvotes
im a shopper wrote:I have had similar experience at Loblaws, Bayview Village 3 times over the last few months and everytime I got the item free, as it was under $10..... So it does work
Hm.. a couple of items have scanned above the adv price lately for me at loblaws. How did you approach the cashier to get the $10?
Banned
Dec 7, 2003
1330 posts
Mint wrote:Hm.. a couple of items have scanned above the adv price lately for me at loblaws. How did you approach the cashier to get the $10?

when it scans tell her that the sticker price said xxx and that you would like to put the SCOP into effect, and if she looks at ya funny explain to her what it is or point to the sign .. if she still dont know speak with a manager
Banned
Dec 7, 2003
1330 posts
rodenti wrote:I figure that Zellers doesn't adopt the code because they are one of the biggest offenders when it comes to scanner/price tag mismatch... it would cost them a fortune to give away most of the stuff in their store for free :)
right before xmas, we were in zellers shopping for last minute stuff and there was a sign for 40% off there electric heaters the fancy looking ones ( old wood stoves) so needless to say i wanted one, so in the cart it goes and i ask one of the ladys that was there if this was correct and she looked at the signs and said no that it was expiored BUT since the sign was still there , that she HAD to give it to me for that price plus $10 off so i walked out with a $160 heater for like 86$ plus i had a 10$ coupon from the famousplayers ticket package so it was $76 plus tax hehe i like those deals
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
1896 posts
477 upvotes
Agent_J wrote:only the first would be free, the rest would be at the actual price ;)
Wrong, the rest would be at the Advertised price
Sr. Member
Mar 13, 2005
742 posts
50 upvotes
Stoney creek
I was at walmart yesterday actually, didn't even know about this practice, I went to get a price adjustment on something I bought. ( It was priced $10 on the product but i was charged $15 and didn't realize till I got home). The girl at customer service told me about it and said I would get it for free and she refunded the entire price that I paid and away i went with my product. What a bonus.

I think that that is why zellers is so willing to just give you the price of something if you say it should be a certain price ( and take your word for it). To save them money in the long run - their stuff always rings up wrong.
Usually at walmart I have to fight with them for every last cent. Now that I know about this, I will hold them to it.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2691 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
pmdoit wrote:Wrong, the rest would be at the Advertised price
semantics :rolleyes:

ac
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 19, 2001
8968 posts
2685 upvotes
Agent_J wrote:only the first would be free, the rest would be at the actual price ;)

If the price msitake had not been immediatly corrected the consumer could have gone to another till and gotten one of each flavour free each time. It happens where they allow the mistake to continue for days.

The acutal, correct price always refers to the lowest displayed/advertised price regardless of what they intended.

Top