Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2022 11:15 am
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2004
2691 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
zoro69 wrote:If the price msitake had not been immediatly corrected the consumer could have gone to another till and gotten one of each flavour free each time. It happens where they allow the mistake to continue for days.
ahh i see, thanks for the correction zoro :)
pmdoit wrote:Thanks, but:
Advertised price is not really the real price or actual price that's why you can get the $10 off
so what your saying is the advertised price is not the real/actual price, thus making it a false/unreal price and that's why you get the $10 off :confused:

the scanned price = the false/unreal price, the actual/real price = lowest advertised price, you get the $10 off because the SCOP protects consumers from this, I hope that clears things up for you :)
Dec 4, 2005
236 posts
Mississauga
had yet another experience this morning at the superstore. one item rang in at reg price instead of sale price, so i point it out. the clerk says i took it off your bill and now i'll ring in the right price and i was like it's supposed to be free. she didn't argue with me, but the look on her face was like "hey, how did she know about that?"
i think most retailers are praying their consumers aren't paying attention to prices as they are being scanned and that we don't know about SCOP. good try.

i do have one question though. let's say it turns out 4 different items scan in at the wrong price...and i entitled to 10 bucks total of free stuff, or is it 10 bucks worth per item?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9002 posts
2725 upvotes
If they are all different items the code applies to each item individually, so its free or $10 off each one. If its 4 of the identical item - same upc, then it applies to the first item only and the other 3 at the lowest displayed price.
Nov 27, 2005
18 posts
1 upvote
Okay, so maybe someone can answer this...I know some of you were laughing at the question, what if the scanned price is lower BUT that's what really happened to me! I was buying a hat at Urban Outfitters that was ticketed at 19.99 plus an additional 50% off = $10. But, when the cashier scanned the item it rung up at $0.10, she voided it and put in $19.99 and 50% off - when I asked she said it was a "dimed" out item, meaning they weren't really supposed to be selling it but since they were it was at the next available price??
May 2, 2005
694 posts
142 upvotes
FYI,

Rona participates, though they are not listed. They do so because of they are HQ'd in Quebec and Quebec has stringent pricing laws.

I had difficulty in a local (Ottawa) store a few months ago, but after a few emails/calls, they sent me a cheque.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2005
2861 posts
353 upvotes
GVR
kinggori wrote:I have 95 posts and I'm still considered a newb :mad:
we should have a definition for the word newbie. lol. someone could have 1000 posts but signed up a week ago.
My Heatware - My Heatware
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1243 posts
62 upvotes
coolman217 wrote:we should have a definition for the word newbie. lol. someone could have 1000 posts but signed up a week ago.
if somebody had 1000 posts in one week they wouldn't be a newb they would be a loser with no life.
Jul 29, 2005
644 posts
10 upvotes
Winnipeg
I got myself a SCOP today at Superstore. Pull Ups with the Learning Design were shelf priced at $20.87, Pull Ups with Wetness Liner were shelf priced at $16.99. I grabbed the Wetness Liner variety since they were cheaper, obviously... and am pleased with how much cheaper they turned out to be!

They scanned at $20.87. After a price check confirmed the scanning error, the price was corrected to $16.99, a $10 refund was applied to my bill, my $2.50 coupon was taken off... so the Pull Ups cost me $4.49 plus taxes :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3917 posts
690 upvotes
I just puchased some garbage bags at loblaws, but it scanned 0.50 more than the shelf price. I asked if theres some kind of scanning policy, she said no.

I didnt bother arguing, as there were a few people behind me. Is this policy voluntary or mandatory?
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3496 posts
1940 upvotes
Airdrie
Mint wrote: Is this policy voluntary or mandatory?
Voluntary, except in Quebec. Look for a sticker on the front door or at the till.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
2597 posts
335 upvotes
Mint wrote:I just puchased some garbage bags at loblaws, but it scanned 0.50 more than the shelf price. I asked if theres some kind of scanning policy, she said no.

I didnt bother arguing, as there were a few people behind me. Is this policy voluntary or mandatory?
Its voluntary for the corporation (like loblaws) to join BUT it is NOT up to individual stores to determine whether they are participating or not. Go above the local manager and see what happens!
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2003
11504 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Tievoli wrote:I was buying a hat at Urban Outfitters that was ticketed at 19.99 plus an additional 50% off = $10. But, when the cashier scanned the item it rung up at $0.10, she voided it and put in $19.99 and 50% off - when I asked she said it was a "dimed" out item, meaning they weren't really supposed to be selling it but since they were it was at the next available price??
Depends on store policy, but most won't honour a mistake like that. Depends on how much of a fuss you're willing to make over it (asking for the manager, then the next level above that, and so on).
Heatware | eBay | (Last updated 12-28-2008)
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
2284 posts
47 upvotes
Kingston
Tievoli wrote:Okay, so maybe someone can answer this...I know some of you were laughing at the question, what if the scanned price is lower BUT that's what really happened to me! I was buying a hat at Urban Outfitters that was ticketed at 19.99 plus an additional 50% off = $10. But, when the cashier scanned the item it rung up at $0.10, she voided it and put in $19.99 and 50% off - when I asked she said it was a "dimed" out item, meaning they weren't really supposed to be selling it but since they were it was at the next available price??
Sounds like she committed fraud to raise the price on you. People really need to start filing complaints for unfair practice under the consumer protection act on such businesses.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1688 posts
51 upvotes
Mississauga
KsprayDad wrote:Its voluntary for the corporation (like loblaws) to join BUT it is NOT up to individual stores to determine whether they are participating or not. Go above the local manager and see what happens!
I'm not very sure if it's the same for Loblaws, but for sure No Frills - Not all stores have the same flyers.

I received No Frills flyers from home and wanted to buy Chinese dumplings that were on sale. I went to No Frills on lakeshore and found they weren't on sale when scanned. I showed the cashier the flyer I brought from home and she called the manager who said they are not a participating store that carrys Asian products (and don't know why they are in the store) and showed me their store flyers, which is almost the same as the one I received from home but without the on sale Chinese products page. He refused to honour the price on the flyers I showed him.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4949 posts
2356 upvotes
Markham
ayeung wrote:I'm not very sure if it's the same for Loblaws, but for sure No Frills - Not all stores have the same flyers.

I received No Frills flyers from home and wanted to buy Chinese dumplings that were on sale. I went to No Frills on lakeshore and found they weren't on sale when scanned. I showed the cashier the flyer I brought from home and she called the manager who said they are not a participating store that carrys Asian products (and don't know why they are in the store) and showed me their store flyers, which is almost the same as the one I received from home but without the on sale Chinese products page. He refused to honour the price on the flyers I showed him.
Yeah, I think it's reasonable to for them to refuse you since each franchise store serves a certain area but at the same time it's just good CSR practice to honour it. It seems all flyers say at particpating stores, it's an easy way out. This applies to Mcdonald's and their promotions though I haven't been to one where they weren't participating
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
2284 posts
47 upvotes
Kingston
ayeung wrote:I'm not very sure if it's the same for Loblaws, but for sure No Frills - Not all stores have the same flyers.

Sounds like a great opportunity to leave a huge hulking cart of groceries at the till and walk out the door. :)
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3496 posts
1940 upvotes
Airdrie
belgiangenius wrote:Sounds like she committed fraud to raise the price on you. People really need to start filing complaints for unfair practice under the consumer protection act on such businesses.

So, the hat was tagged at $10, Tievoli expected to pay $10, and the cashier charged him $10. And the fraud comes in where? The unfair practice is where? Just because there's a scanning error in the customer's favour doesn't mean the store is obligated to honour it! How are they ripping off Tievoli by charging him exactly what he expected to pay? People really need to STFU sometimes and think about what they're saying before yelling FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD!
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
2284 posts
47 upvotes
Kingston
jdewit wrote:So, the hat was tagged at $10, Tievoli expected to pay $10, and the cashier charged him $10. And the fraud comes in where? The unfair practice is where? Just because there's a scanning error in the customer's favour doesn't mean the store is obligated to honour it! How are they ripping off Tievoli by charging him exactly what he expected to pay? People really need to STFU sometimes and think about what they're saying before yelling FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD!
Well, I would argue that immediately after the cash register rang up $0.10, Tievoli likely revoked his offer to purchase at $10, and accepted the new marked price of $0.10. Very simple.

The fact is that most stores operate using very shady practices when it comes to pricing discrepancies, and we as a society need to start nailing them.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)