Shopping Discussion

Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 2:42 pm
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 13, 2004
1080 posts
20 upvotes
I don't blame the cashier. She was instructed to do so (and implied she thinks it is dumb).

I've put in my complaint to SDM and will call the retail council tomorrow.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5992 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Howlader wrote: I don't blame the cashier. She was instructed to do so (and implied she thinks it is dumb).

I've put in my complaint to SDM and will call the retail council tomorrow.
Perfect!

Exactly what you should do.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3563 posts
8894 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Some new information about the policy that I was made aware of from a friend the other day (new signage with new policy added).

Note the new line added:

"The Code does not apply where sale dates are printed on a shelf label or signage and the sale has expired, provided the regular price is on the label or signage."


Image
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5992 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I don't understand what this is supposed to mean:
"The Code does not apply where sale dates are printed on a shelf label or signage and the sale has expired, provided the regular price is on the label or signage."

So in other words - if the label has a sale price and also a sale date that has expired, but there is no other (regular) price shown, SCOP still applies???

This new information only applies if there are two prices shown, one with an expiry date and the other without one.
So if a store forgets to take down the shelf label with the sale price, SCOP still applies even if the sale dates shown are expired.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5992 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
krs wrote: Did you ever get a reply?

I also emailed the Retail Council about conflicting info in their FAQ - at the beginning it says that SCOP applies to UPC and PLU priced items and later on it says it only appies to UPC priced items inferring it does not apply to PLU priced items.
So what is correct - SCOP used to apply to PLU priced items as well - I wonder if that has changed.
I finally, after many weeks, received an email reply on Jan 7, 2020, asking me for a phone number to talk about this question because it supposedly is too complex to answer by email - I sent them back a phone number the next day, have not heard from them since.

SCOP and any questions related to that must be at the very, very bottom of their priority list.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3563 posts
8894 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
krs wrote: I don't understand what this is supposed to mean:
"The Code does not apply where sale dates are printed on a shelf label or signage and the sale has expired, provided the regular price is on the label or signage."

So in other words - if the label has a sale price and also a sale date that has expired, but there is no other (regular) price shown, SCOP still applies???

This new information only applies if there are two prices shown, one with an expiry date and the other without one.
So if a store forgets to take down the shelf label with the sale price, SCOP still applies even if the sale dates shown are expired.
That's how I interpreted it as well:

  • one label with sale price and sale date but no regular price and label still present = SCOP
  • one label with sale price, sale date and regular price and label still present = NO SCOP
  • one label with sale price and sale date along with another label with regular price and sale label still present = SCOP
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20715 posts
14546 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
trystee wrote: Note the new line added:

"The Code does not apply where sale dates are printed on a shelf label or signage and the sale has expired, provided the regular price is on the label or signage."
Are you sure that's new? ISTR it's been there for quite some time. I say that because this verbiage is familiar and it rubs me the wrong way every time I read it.

It's an open invitation for abuse. Consider a sale where the sale price is in large type while the expiry date and the regular price are both in tiny type. What incentive does the retailer have to remove that sign after the sale ends? After all people will see the more prominent sale price, assume it's current because the sign is up, and buy the item on that basis. Few will notice that it actually rings in at the higher price.

This is similar to signs that read "Sale [up to] 50% off [on selected items]" in large type with the qualifiers in []s in tiny type. These signs draw people into the store only to discover that very little is actually 50% off and even what is, is in unusual sizes, colours, etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5992 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
bylo wrote: Are you sure that's new? ISTR it's been there for quite some time. I say that because this verbiage is familiar and it rubs me the wrong way every time I read it.
I have been following SCOP pretty much since it first started.

This particular situation - shelf price with an expiry date was not covered initially at all.
It eventually came up in the Q&A section and at that time the answer was "Expiry date didn't matter, SCOP still applied"
I guess retailers complained and now it is covered in the SCOP definition. That change is not totally new, but it wasn't there in the original SCOP definition either.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5992 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
trystee wrote: That's how I interpreted it as well:

  • one label with sale price and sale date but no regular price and label still present = SCOP
  • one label with sale price, sale date and regular price and label still present = NO SCOP
  • one label with sale price and sale date along with another label with regular price and sale label still present = SCOP
I like the way this is set up in bullet form, but I think there are a few more options to consider:
  • one label with sale price and sale date but no regular price and label still present, sale date not expired = SCOP
  • one label with sale price and sale date but no regular price and label still present, sale date expired = SCOP
  • one label with sale price, sale date and regular price and label still present, sale date not expired = SCOP
  • one label with sale price, sale date and regular price and label still present, sale date expired = NO SCOP
  • one label with sale price and sale date along with another label with regular price and sale label still present, sale date not expired = SCOP
  • one label with sale price and sale date along with another label with regular price and sale label still present, sale date expired = NO SCOP
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2018
2418 posts
2422 upvotes
GTA
krs wrote: I like the way this is set up in bullet form, but I think there are a few more options to consider:
  • one label with sale price and sale date but no regular price and label still present, sale date not expired = SCOP
  • one label with sale price and sale date but no regular price and label still present, sale date expired = SCOP
  • one label with sale price, sale date and regular price and label still present, sale date not expired = SCOP
  • one label with sale price, sale date and regular price and label still present, sale date expired = NO SCOP
  • one label with sale price and sale date along with another label with regular price and sale label still present, sale date not expired = SCOP
  • one label with sale price and sale date along with another label with regular price and sale label still present, sale date expired = NO SCOP
And I thought I was detail-oriented?! :)
Sr. Member
Jul 23, 2015
718 posts
506 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
All this is so much more detailed than any training will be, you should copyright that post so they don't copy it.

It's much easier to get free stuff when nobody at the store knows what's going on.
Sr. Member
Jul 23, 2015
718 posts
506 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I was at Safeway today, had a product scan higher than the shelf tag.

First, nobody came for the price check so I offered to go get the tags.

Found out there was no manager on duty, so cashier didn't know what to do because.....get this, they "stopped doing SCOP a month ago"

Well Safeway is still listed as participating on the competition bureau website. This store must have a super cheap manager, nobody to remove sale tags, no training for cashier, no manager on duty and expecting to pay for the storm's shortcomings.

We can't stand for $#!+ like this!!
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 16, 2004
18004 posts
5352 upvotes
Toronto
Nibbler2012 wrote: I was at Safeway today, had a product scan higher than the shelf tag.

First, nobody came for the price check so I offered to go get the tags.

Found out there was no manager on duty, so cashier didn't know what to do because.....get this, they "stopped doing SCOP a month ago"

Well Safeway is still listed as participating on the competition bureau website. This store must have a super cheap manager, nobody to remove sale tags, no training for cashier, no manager on duty and expecting to pay for the storm's shortcomings.

We can't stand for $#!+ like this!!
If be writing letters to SCOP and Safeway head office, see what the real deal is.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Sr. Member
Jul 23, 2015
718 posts
506 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
DaVibe wrote: If be writing letters to SCOP and Safeway head office, see what the real deal is.
I did that. I sent Safeway an invoice for my shelf tag removal services. In case you're interested, it is $25 per tag removed.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5992 posts
1026 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Nibbler2012 wrote: I did that. I sent Safeway an invoice for my shelf tag removal services. In case you're interested, it is $25 per tag removed.
Make sure to send it to collections if Safeway doesn't pay!

Top