Shopping Discussion

Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 2:42 pm
Dec 17, 2009
613 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto
missdiva wrote: I purchased an item in December that rang up higher than the shelf tag. The customer service person told me the tag was expired, so they refused to honor SCOP when I asked. I called the retail council to clarify as the tag did not have the regular price on it and they told me if the tag shows an expiry date, SCOP does not apply. The tag doesn’t actually have to state the regular price. There is a zero incentive now for stores to actually ensure expired shelf tags are removed and it is super annoying that as a customer, I now have to look for the sale expiry date in tiny print on the shelf tags to confirm the price is valid.
Exact same story happened to me in SDM. The cashier said they have no time to change the tag.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
2341 posts
2793 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Does anyone know if the policy changed to NOT include items that are on sale?

I was told by the manager at Pricesmart in Richmond that it only applies to regular price items and not items on sale.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20695 posts
14530 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
stovetop wrote: I was told by the manager at Pricesmart in Richmond that it only applies to regular price items and not items on sale.
That's bullshit, plain and simple.

Go to the OP and follow the link to the code. It says nothing about sale vs. regular prices. It's all about the displayed price, sale or not, vs. what you're charged at checkout.

Report the bastard to the Retail Council.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
2341 posts
2793 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
bylo wrote: That's bullshit, plain and simple.

Go to the OP and follow the link to the code. It says nothing about sale vs. regular prices. It's all about the displayed price, sale or not, vs. what you're charged at checkout.

Report the bastard to the Retail Council.
Yup left a VM on the RCC phone complaints line and also sent an email to Overwaitea group.
Banned
Apr 10, 2020
1 posts
I have used this successfully at both Shoppers Drug Mart and IGA this year. I thought that it would only work if the price that is scanned by the cashier is more than that on the shelf.
Oct 27, 2016
16 posts
4 upvotes
I just asked for SCOP at FreshCo since 3 different items scanned higher than the shelf price and during this the ‘supervisor’ came by and said the SCOP only applies to one item, the highest value item (all 3 things were under $10). When I tried fighting back she wouldn’t budge and when I asked to speak to the manager she said they weren’t in. Is she right or am I wrong?!??

I have the receipt and pictures of the shelf sticker price.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20695 posts
14530 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
mimoit wrote: Is she right or am I wrong?!??
As long as the items are different (different SKUs, UPC codes) then each qualifies for SCOP. There's no limit on the number of unique items. The intent of SCOP is to "encourage" stores to update their checkout systems when what they charge customers is more than what they advertised the item for.

If you caught FreshCo trying to rip you (and untold more customers), never mind that they denied SCOP, then that says a lot about that store's integrity. If it was me I'd escalate to HQ if not also the media.
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 27, 2016
16 posts
4 upvotes
bylo wrote: As long as the items are different (different SKUs, UPC codes) then each qualifies for SCOP. There's no limit on the number of unique items. The intent of SCOP is to "encourage" stores to update their checkout systems when what they charge customers is more than what they advertised the item for.

If you caught FreshCo trying to rip you (and untold more customers), never mind that they denied SCOP, then that says a lot about that store's integrity. If it was me I'd escalate to HQ if not also the media.
Thanks for confirming. I couldn't find the terminology on my phone to prove this at the time but either way, this supervisor did not sound like she would be receptive at all. I'm going to go back with my receipt and talk to the manager about this. If they don't help, I will definitely register a complaint and contact Sobeys HQ. I don't like the way they handled this. I might just do that anyway as this store is really bad with fixing their incorrect prices.
Apr 16, 2007
400 posts
624 upvotes
Northern Ontario
An item that was listed as $5.99 on the shelf, scanned in at $7.99 at Food Basics. I noticed and went to customer service. The woman knew nothing about SCOP until I pointed at the sign they had. She then told me they don't give out free products during COVID.

Is this valid? Can the store can ignore the posted policy because of the pandemic with no notice stating it's on hold?

Ended up refunding the item and repurchasing it at the $5.99 price.
Jul 23, 2015
718 posts
504 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
cope wrote: An item that was listed as $5.99 on the shelf, scanned in at $7.99 at Food Basics. I noticed and went to customer service. The woman knew nothing about SCOP until I pointed at the sign they had. She then told me they don't give out free products during COVID.

Is this valid? Can the store can ignore the posted policy because of the pandemic with no notice stating it's on hold?

Ended up refunding the item and repurchasing it at the $5.99 price.
That's BS, I'd write to food basics, they'll placate you with a $10 I bet
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20695 posts
14530 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
cope wrote: An item that was listed as $5.99 on the shelf, scanned in at $7.99 at Food Basics. I noticed and went to customer service. The woman knew nothing about SCOP until I pointed at the sign they had. She then told me they don't give out free products during COVID.

I would have asked this exemplar of customer disservice to show me the sign that says no SCOP during COVID-19 restrictions. Don't let the mindless bureaucrats who make up convenient rules when they don't have a clue win by default.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 30, 2013
257 posts
80 upvotes
bylo wrote: I would have asked this exemplar of customer disservice to show me the sign that says no SCOP during COVID-19 restrictions. Don't let the mindless bureaucrats who make up convenient rules when they don't have a clue win by default.
They will make up any excuse to get out of giving stuff out for free.I've got several items free during Covid no problem.Call the 18664994599 Scanner Code Accuracy Committee with your complaint.
May 15, 2019
46 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
If this had been covered before, then I apologize (though I went back 10 pages to 2018 and re-read the posts).

July 31, 2020, Walmart (#3635), Black Diamond 410 grams cheese slices are on sale for $1.87 for 410 grams. Scanner posts at $3.97. Store manager (M) was contacted and he said that the sale price was for the "Black Diamond 22 slices, 410 grams not the Black Diamond 14 slices, 410 grams). I pointed out that this is confusing as the product is the same 410 grams made by Black Diamond but 14 slices (as opposed to 22 slices) and they were located next to each other on the display. Store Manager refused to honour the SCOP.

Is Store Manager correct?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20695 posts
14530 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
SnowyDumpling wrote: July 31, 2020, Walmart (#3635), Black Diamond 410 grams cheese slices are on sale for $1.87 for 410 grams.
What's the exact description of the offer? Does it say 22 slices or 14 slices or mention number of slices? Does it list eligible SKUs?

If it explicitly says 22 and you tried to SCOP the 14 package then the manager is correct. The two packages may be the same weight but they're different products and their SKUs are different.

If the offer doesn't specify number of slices or SKUs, but only the weight then the manager is wrong. You could escalate up the, um, food chain if you feel it's worth the effort to make a point.
I pointed out that this is confusing as the product is the same 410 grams made by Black Diamond but 14 slices (as opposed to 22 slices) and they were located next to each other on the display.
It may be a sleazy practice to have sale and non-sale packages of the same weight side by side where consumers are likely to pick up the "wrong" package." But that's not a SCOP issue.
veni, vidi, Visa
May 15, 2019
46 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
The picture (not the description) on the ad shows 22 and describes the product as "Fat Free" so according the the Store Manager, I couldn't get the regular fat content version either. The print on the ad says " Save 2.10, 1.87 410 g, Black Diamond Slices #30468465 was 3.97" .

I agree that by placing the products (same weight, same content - just different slices) next to each other is unethical but then again, Walmart is known for being unethical.