Shopping Discussion

Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2020 11:11 am
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20790 posts
14693 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
SnowyDumpling wrote: The picture (not the description) on the ad shows 22 and describes the product as "Fat Free" so according the the Store Manager, I couldn't get the regular fat content version either. The print on the ad says " Save 2.10, 1.87 410 g, Black Diamond Slices #30468465 was 3.97" .
Google on 30468465 found this:

Image

Usually with these sorts of ads for items that come in different colours or flavours, the ad will say something like "various varieties." But in this case they explicitly listed the one variety that's on sale.

So sleazy as it may be, it's not SCOPable.
veni, vidi, Visa
Sr. Member
Oct 24, 2010
907 posts
683 upvotes
Ottawa
Loblaws honored this policy a few weeks ago without me even knowing it existed.

Tide powder was in the flyer and on the shelf for $22.
Scanned up at $26.
They gave me $10 off the sticker price, so $12.

Of note: $22 is the regular price at Wal-Mart and RCSS, but they were both sold out. Loblaws is always so stupidly expensive.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5997 posts
1027 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
SnowyDumpling wrote: I agree that by placing the products (same weight, same content - just different slices) next to each other is unethical but then again, Walmart is known for being unethical.
I'm no fan of Walmart's, but I don't think it's unethical to place these products next to each other on the shelf.
Where would you expect Walmart to put other than on the shelf that has all the cheeses on it and if they arrange them by manufacturer, these products would be next to each other automatically.

I was caught a few times like that over the years where products are almost identical with one on sale and the other not.
Now I always double-check the UPC number when it comes to SCOP.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20790 posts
14693 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
krs wrote: I'm no fan of Walmart's, but I don't think it's unethical to place these products next to each other on the shelf.
Where would you expect Walmart to put other than on the shelf that has all the cheeses on it and if they arrange them by manufacturer, these products would be next to each other automatically.
It depends on the signage, i.e. on how prominent the Sale sign is and how prominently it says that only one variety is on sale.

Consider that only the "fat free" version was on sale. That stuff tastes like dried out "cheese." So most people buy the regular cheese. If the signage is designed and the products are placed in such a way as to create confusion then it's unethical (or sleazy, etc.) for WalMart to benefit from that ambiguity and confusion.

This isn't even a SCOP issue. If most people buy the regular stuff at the regular price then it's not unreasonable to suppose that WalMart is counting on most people seeing the Sale price in the flyer or at the cheese display then not noticing that they're paying regular price at checkout.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5997 posts
1027 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
bylo wrote: It depends on the signage, i.e. on how prominent the Sale sign is and how prominently it says that only one variety is on sale.

Consider that only the "fat free" version was on sale. That stuff tastes like dried out "cheese." So most people buy the regular cheese. If the signage is designed and the products are placed in such a way as to create confusion then it's unethical (or sleazy, etc.) for WalMart to benefit from that ambiguity and confusion.

This isn't even a SCOP issue. If most people buy the regular stuff at the regular price then it's not unreasonable to suppose that WalMart is counting on most people seeing the Sale price in the flyer or at the cheese display then not noticing that they're paying regular price at checkout.
We could argue about this till the cows come home - I see it this way:
The "fat free" version is probably on sale because it doesn't sell well and Walmart (or manufacturer) needs to get rid of excess. When there are two very similar items with one on sale and the other not, I always look very closely what the difference is in the product aand the reason one is on sale and the other not.
If in this case I buy the regular cheese, I pay the regular price; if I bought the "fat free" cheese I would pay the sale price-certainly not a SCOP issue as you said.
All I can say is that the consumer needs to read the label and make sure that what he/she is buying is what they want. Nothing is being misrepresented. I don't see anything sleazy etc., for aall I know other customers could have moved the cheese around. That is a common problem with shelf pricing, person picks it up - oh, not what I wanted and they put it back in the same area but not exactly in the same spot on the shelf - happens all the time.
In any case, since neither one of us has actually seen the arrangement and the way the sale was advertised, this is really a moot discussion.
Newbie
May 15, 2019
48 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
I appreciate all of your input. (which is the reason that I asked in the 1st place).

I did not buy the product at Walmart as it was also on sale at Freshco (which was 1 block away from Walmart) for $1.88, 410 grams, 14 or 22 slices Black Diamond, fat-free or regular version and I just picked up two along with my regular groceries. They were not so picky that it had to match the picture exactly (i.e. Black Diamond cheese is Black Diamond cheese). So lost sale for cheese and other grocery items at Walmart, more sales for Freshco. Everybody goes home happy.
Sr. Member
Jul 23, 2015
719 posts
507 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Dynatos wrote: Loblaws honored this policy a few weeks ago without me even knowing it existed.

Tide powder was in the flyer and on the shelf for $22.
Scanned up at $26.
They gave me $10 off the sticker price, so $12.

Of note: $22 is the regular price at Wal-Mart and RCSS, but they were both sold out. Loblaws is always so stupidly expensive.
You should have bought a lottery ticket. I have to fight every time there's a scanner error.
Sr. Member
Jul 23, 2015
719 posts
507 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Had a product scan higher at Safeway, the shelf/sale tag was expired.

I actually had 2 flavors so 2 upcs but they would only give one free. Said they're not doing scanner code due to covid (people are moving things all over), but I showed them how the products were clearly in the right spot.

Lucky they didn't know about the tag date update. I hope SCOP is made law like Quebec the way it is now is lame, can't make them have accurate price tags, too many technicalities for them to get out of it.
Newbie
May 15, 2019
48 posts
40 upvotes
GTA
Nibbler2012 wrote: Had a product scan higher at Safeway, the shelf/sale tag was expired.

I actually had 2 flavors so 2 upcs but they would only give one free. Said they're not doing scanner code due to covid (people are moving things all over), but I showed them how the products were clearly in the right spot.

Lucky they didn't know about the tag date update. I hope SCOP is made law like Quebec the way it is now is lame, can't make them have accurate price tags, too many technicalities for them to get out of it.
Yes, it should be a law. The retailers have shown that many will not adhere to the Scanning Code of Practice. It is time for some up-and-coming MP to champion this (it will also look good on the MP's resume).
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
1869 posts
1317 upvotes
Nibbler2012 wrote: You should have bought a lottery ticket. I have to fight every time there's a scanner error.
Really? I had no issues getting it done at RCSS. Sometimes, it takes a while for them to do a price check (or I might need to go with them and point out where I saw the price I'm expecting) but they'll do it and I'll get it free or $10 off.
Jr. Member
Aug 31, 2012
118 posts
99 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm going to the grocery store less than pre-COVID, but getting SCOP applied more often it seems.

Though today I suspect the SDM merchandiser that did the price check for me removed a misplaced sales sticker (I went back to confirm the price after my purchases). That, or my eyes deceived me. The person I was with convinced me it wasn't worth looking for him to ask if he did. It was a $16 box of 4 frozen Highlander seasoned fish fillets
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 19, 2001
8426 posts
2098 upvotes
It looks like loblaw finally trained the staff. Happened again friday, they had PC cereal at different prices. Weird, they are always the same at SDM, so I bought the rice crispy ones at 1.99...scanned at 3.99. I should have bought the raisin bran too, they were marked at 2.99. I had to ask if they were free as the staffer was going to put in the proper price, but no other problem

Edit, went back two days later and still wrong, got 2 more boxes free. Staffer again tried to just change the price, then had a lot of trouble getting them to free.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2324 posts
1300 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Had the issue at Toys R Us in Scarborough. The teller had no idea about it and I made her read the sticker at the till. Got her manager. She fixed it, but didn't give the $10 off saying the SKU was different, which it wasn't. She was kinda rude, and I wasn't in the mood to ruin my mood so just didn't argue.

Usually I am the kind of person who argues a lot, so just tried to not do it this time.
Jr. Member
Sep 5, 2020
170 posts
93 upvotes
zoro69 wrote: It looks like loblaw finally trained the staff. Happened again friday, they had PC cereal at different prices. Weird, they are always the same at SDM, so I bought the rice crispy ones at 1.99...scanned at 3.99. I should have bought the raisin bran too, they were marked at 2.99. I had to ask if they were free as the staffer was going to put in the proper price, but no other problem

Edit, went back two days later and still wrong, got 2 more boxes free. Staffer again tried to just change the price, then had a lot of trouble getting them to free.
You got lucky, you’re only suppose to get the first one free and the rest at the posted price
Jr. Member
Sep 5, 2020
170 posts
93 upvotes
I find at RCSS that they will send a checker to check. The checker would remove the tag and report back that there’s no tag that says that.

Top