Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2022 11:15 am
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
36994 posts
5064 upvotes
Winnipeg
i got free tomatoes from zehrs last time, was good.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6562 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
I got a free 250g bag of chips at Shoppers. Was supposed to be 3 for $6 but they rang up at $2.39 each without a discount on the 3rd one. Ended up getting 4 for $6. :)
This space for rent
Jan 4, 2006
316 posts
Free Nalgene water bottle from Loblaws 2 weeks ago for me. :cheesygri

And I didn't even need to ask.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
4578 posts
3460 upvotes
Managed to snag a block of cheese :) yaaah

�I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it

Smile... It confuses people�
Jul 7, 2005
271 posts
3 upvotes
I had the most awful experience today at Shoppers Drug Mart.

Saw a humidifier regular price for $79.99, with a sale price of $59.99.

I go to purchase it and it rings up at $79.99. I tell them that the price tag says $59.99.

They go to check and all the sale prices have been TAKEN DOWN within a matter of 10 minutes? Not only the sale price but the regular price as well.

I am furious because they refuse to honour the sale price because they say that they have no evidence of the price tag being there. They say that due to loss prevention, they cannot sell it to me for the price without the tag. I reiterate that someone obviously took down the price just then and there must be record of it somewhere. They tell me that the price shouldn't have been there then because it was wrong. I tell them that is not my problem. Their defense is "We can't sell it to you for that price because we don't have evidence of the price tag because we got rid of the evidence, which is now in the garbage"

They admitted that someone removed the price tags but their defense was the tags were in the garbage then. What a load of BS!

Not only should they have honoured the price, they should have taken the $10 off it too. But they refused to even sell it to me for the sale price.

I am so furious right now. The head office cannot force them to sell it for that price as SDM's are independently owned. I do not even know what good a complaint will do - but I feel it is SO wrong for them to do something like this. It makes me feel that according to what they are saying, that customers SHOULD just rip tags off the shelves everytime they buy something and take it to the till because you NEVER know when someone is going to take them down and NOT honour the price.

Any thoughts / advice on what impact an official complaint actually has on the store? I don't even want the stupid thing anymore but I just don't feel that is right. In fact, it infuriates me to no end.
Mar 9, 2004
352 posts
20 upvotes
Freelancer-Mountaineer wrote:I had the most awful experience today at Shoppers Drug Mart.

I go to purchase it and it rings up at $79.99. I tell them that the price tag says $59.99.

They go to check and all the sale prices have been TAKEN DOWN within a matter of 10 minutes? Not only the sale price but the regular price as well.

I am furious because they refuse to honour the sale price because they say that they have no evidence of the price tag being there. They say that due to loss prevention, they cannot sell it to me for the price without the tag. I reiterate that someone obviously took down the price just then and there must be record of it somewhere. They tell me that the price shouldn't have been there then because it was wrong. I tell them that is not my problem. Their defense is "We can't sell it to you for that price because we don't have evidence of the price tag because we got rid of the evidence, which is now in the garbage"

They admitted that someone removed the price tags but their defense was the tags were in the garbage then. What a load of BS!

Not only should they have honoured the price, they should have taken the $10 off it too. But they refused to even sell it to me for the sale price.

I am so furious right now. The head office cannot force them to sell it for that price as SDM's are independently owned. I do not even know what good a complaint will do - but I feel it is SO wrong for them to do something like this. It makes me feel that according to what they are saying, that customers SHOULD just rip tags off the shelves everytime they buy something and take it to the till because you NEVER know when someone is going to take them down and NOT honour the price.

Any thoughts / advice on what impact an official complaint actually has on the store? I don't even want the stupid thing anymore but I just don't feel that is right. In fact, it infuriates me to no end.
There is nothing you can do as if you tell a third party (court or SDM management), you have no evidence to back your claim. I know how you feel, but if it will make you feel better, check out their return policy, purchase the item, open it, and return it to the same cashier and tell them you are not happy with your purchase and you want your money back. After all, you are not happy with the purchase!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7348 posts
1631 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
I would still complain - in writing with the model number of the unit, the name and address of the store and the date/time when this happened - to both the SDM head office and the Retail Council of Canada (there is a link in the first post of this thread).
If nothing else, they need to know about stunts like that. I know it's a bit of work, but in the long run it's worth it.
Would be great if you had people's names- sometimes they wear name tags.

What was the regular price of the unit supposed to be? I don't understand their rationale for pulling the regular price tags.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2004
2301 posts
Freelancer-Mountaineer wrote:I had the most awful experience today at Shoppers Drug Mart.

You have every right to be pissed. Call head office right away. Explain the situation and ask them if this how SDM wants to do business. Tell them you WILL complain to the Better Business Bureau as this violates the Canadian Consumer Protection Act, 2002, section 3 Unfair practices, and is in violation of SCOP.

I hope you got a few names down of SDM employees who you spoke to to strengthen your 'case.'

Your right SDM are independently owned, but what you went through violates Business Codes and it certainly should be brought to the attention of Head Office.

What SDM was it?

Good Luck, and keep us updated.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
2425 posts
1194 upvotes
SW Ontario
I always worry about something like that happening - so when they send someone to check the shelf price, or the sign, I always go with them. One time, at Walmart, when it was taking a long time for someone to come to the cashier to see what the problem was, I ran and grabbed the sign and brought it to the front, just in case.

That still doesn't protect me 100%, but it helps.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9002 posts
2725 upvotes
Has anyone else noticed these SCOP signs disappearing?

At Futureshop (where I had the problem couple months back with them refusing to honour it while someone removed the price sign) they weren't in compliance with the code as there was never a sign at entrance or main cash , but there was one stuck to a spot at the corner of customer service counter. Just noticed that scanning code sticker has now been removed at some point after my complaint, so they aren't displaying one anywhere. The manager had told me he'd ensure staff were trained on it...hiding the sign that they participate wasn't what I had in mind! The Bestbuy next door has the code at each cash.

Then off to Shoppers Drugmart while I'm thinking about the code, and see they too no longer have the price scanning code anywhere. They've put up their own large sign near the cash lanes that states "We're commited to price accuracy at the check out" among other things - but nothing about $10 off/free :twisted:

I'm looking for the signs everywhere now to see if more are being removed. Another SHoppers stll has it on theri door/cash
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2004
2301 posts
Actually, I have noticed that too. I haven't noticed them posted as visibly they used to be; at one store, they had it posted about 6+ feet up in the air (on the checkout pole.) :-0
"Feelin' okay this mornin', and you know,
We're on the road to paradise...Here we go"
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2005
5975 posts
191 upvotes
does Walmart and Zellers have this sign?
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
zoro69 wrote:Has anyone else noticed these SCOP signs disappearing?

At Futureshop (where I had the problem couple months back with them refusing to honour it while someone removed the price sign) they weren't in compliance with the code as there was never a sign at entrance or main cash , but there was one stuck to a spot at the corner of customer service counter. Just noticed that scanning code sticker has now been removed at some point after my complaint, so they aren't displaying one anywhere. The manager had told me he'd ensure staff were trained on it...hiding the sign that they participate wasn't what I had in mind! The Bestbuy next door has the code at each cash.

Then off to Shoppers Drugmart while I'm thinking about the code, and see they too no longer have the price scanning code anywhere. They've put up their own large sign near the cash lanes that states "We're commited to price accuracy at the check out" among other things - but nothing about $10 off/free :twisted:

I'm looking for the signs everywhere now to see if more are being removed. Another SHoppers stll has it on theri door/cash
still seen it lately at BB and at [some] FS stores...

as for SDM, i've never seen it (or rather i've never bothered to notice :P )

-----------
jonkaho wrote:does Walmart and Zellers have this sign?
might depend on the store.

i've seen some do, while others don't.
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2003
4062 posts
27 upvotes
Why the heck this thread is coming back? And how the hell this is a Hot Deal?
/* My Heatware */ #define BITCOUNT(x) (((BX_(x)+(BX_(x)>>4)) & 0x0F0F0F0F) % 255)
#define BX_(x) ((x) - (((x)>>1)&0x77777777) - (((x)>>2)&0x33333333) - (((x)>>3)&0x11111111)) ...really weird C code to count the number of bits in a word Hacking RAID in XP Support Net Neutrality Canada
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
1781 posts
16 upvotes
Dtwn G.T.A.
zoro69 wrote:Has anyone else noticed these SCOP signs disappearing?

hmm.
Best Buy/Future Shop ( in implementation stage)
Username Change: just_for_ipod is now Andrew4Life
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2005
5975 posts
191 upvotes
it might be hot cause u could get the item for free!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2003
1235 posts
191 upvotes
Waterloo
I did this at Zehrs a few times. I see the signs posted everywhere, so I know it exists. The first few times they told me!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
7348 posts
1631 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
jonkaho wrote:it might be hot cause u could get the item for free!
..............and many people have.

Definitely something that people need to be reminded of every once in a while.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
2639 posts
1438 upvotes
YVR
First time i've ever heard of this, and I've never been "told" by a cashier about it either. I already get enough looks as it is when a cashier rings something for a higher price than advertised, and I tell them about it. What would make the SCOP more effective is if they mandated that every cashier has the sticker with the policy clearly shown. I've never ever seen such a sticker anywhere, but will be on the lookout for it now, but its devious of them to be taking the stickers away.