• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2022 1:46 am
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2001
7066 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
Chem wrote: My last Future Shop visit got me:

Coach Carter for $9.99 (Incorrectly Priced at $24.99, scanned in at $19.99)
Machinist for $16.99 (Incorrectly Priced at: $34.99, scanned in at $26.99)

and

nacho113 wrote: "would this work if the price was actually lower than the listed price? LOL. "

The retailer is only required to give the discount if the item scans at more than the signing indicates. If the item already scans at a price lower than the sign indicates, then you don't get the discount. (your already getting a better price than indicated)
Nov 1, 2003
898 posts
1 upvote
Chem wrote:Just a reminder about the Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy.

More Information Here!

1. THE ITEM FREE SCANNER POLICY
Retailers will implement an Item Free Scanner Policy as follows:
1.1 On a claim being presented by the customer, where the scanned price of a product at checkout is higher than the price displayed in the store or than advertised by the store, the lower price will be honoured; and

(a) if the correct price of the product is $10 or less, the retailer will give the product to the customer free of charge; or
(b) if the correct price of the product is higher than $10, the retailer will give the customer a discount of $10 off the corrected price.

--

My last Future Shop visit got me:

Your lucky to get the dvds cause your not supposed to get the $10 benefit if the scanned price is lower.
May 17, 2005
305 posts
Nepean, ON
kylewong wrote:Every store should keep their product price as accurate as possible.
No argument from me there...
kylewong wrote:That can become an advantage to the store. Sometime they enter the price incorrectly into their database. They may lost a lot of money on a product without even knowing, until someone tell them that the price scanned is a lot lower than the one on shelv. Some responsible manager may follow up the situation. They can stop losing money.
Yeah, but chances are the scanned price is correct and they just forgot to change the tags on the shelf. I doubt very highly they would change the tag on the shelf and forget to update the dataase... just seems pretty unlikely. So they aren't losing anything at all.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
1572 posts
144 upvotes
walmart is a pain in the ass. I was buying some soap which was labled $1.97 and it rang up as 11.97! They downright refused to give it free in the checkout line, I asked for a manager and he said he would only match the price.. I would only get it free if I paid for it completely then stood in the insanely large returns line. There was also a sticker stating the code of practice right on the register, he claimed it was only a guideline.

Utter bs. Walmart just aggrivates me too much to shop there much at all.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2003
3298 posts
687 upvotes
Vancouver
Chem wrote:Just a reminder about the Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy.

More Information Here!

1. THE ITEM FREE SCANNER POLICY
Retailers will implement an Item Free Scanner Policy as follows:
1.1 On a claim being presented by the customer, where the scanned price of a product at checkout is higher than the price displayed in the store or than advertised by the store, the lower price will be honoured; and

(a) if the correct price of the product is $10 or less, the retailer will give the product to the customer free of charge; or
(b) if the correct price of the product is higher than $10, the retailer will give the customer a discount of $10 off the corrected price.

--

My last Future Shop visit got me:

Here's another reminder - This forum is for hot deals.
Apr 10, 2005
886 posts
Ottawa, ON
jimbarric wrote:I tried at Walmart a while back, but the lady looked at me like I was an idiot.
I get the same response, far too often.
Here's My Heat

A former product reviewer for Mod The Box
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2004
1237 posts
Edmonton
The policy should be posted at the entrance of the store AND at the register. So if anything happens and the store is a participant of the VOLUNTARY code, point out the sign at the register. The sign also has a phone number, if they refuse to abide by the code, call the number and let them know. It won't get you the item for free (if under $10 of course) but at least there's a record of it that hopefully brings about some action if enough cases are reported.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2498 upvotes
Yes, and I believe the number to call is 1-866-499-4599 to file a complaint with the Scanning Code of Practice people.
Nov 26, 2003
955 posts
3 upvotes
BoxsterS wrote:Here's another reminder - This forum is for hot deals.
YES!! Thank you! I couldn't possibly be the only person that is getting sick of useless reposts.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2001
4224 posts
221 upvotes
Calgary
Worked at Walmart and Best Buy for me
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4291 posts
1376 upvotes
Brampton
Works for me at Superstore (Don Mills) all the time.
For the last week they have large container of mixed nuts (good ones) labeled at $8.99 scanning as $9.99. My girlfriend has gone every 2-3 days and gets one for free. And canned peas have worked for the last 2 months.
They dont seem to correct prices in any hurry. :cheesygri
Mar 27, 2005
182 posts
1 upvote
prod wrote:For the last week they have large container of mixed nuts (good ones) labeled at $8.99 scanning as $9.99.
Large container? Are you talking about bulk foods? If so then you are lucky. The last time I found a pricing error on their bulk foods I was told that the scanner code only applies to items which are scanned. Bulk foods are entered manually and do not apply.
Dec 28, 2003
190 posts
32 upvotes
FYI

All Shoppers Drug Mart stores prominently displays the 'Scanning Code of Practise' at the front of their stores or at the front of each cash register to remind you. If you get rejected, call the SDM support line to lodge a complaint.
Jan 4, 2005
881 posts
1 upvote
At No Frills, there was one time I thought Bits & Bites were still 99 cents a bag... I thought, good price, let's get 2. They scanned at 1.97 or something... so the cashier asked another cashier... she scanned it... duh... obviously it will scan the same.. then they called some another clueless employee over to check the price... of course he comes back saying 1.97. I was like sorry (I said that because I held up the line and they came back saying it's 1.97).

Anyway, I was sure I saw 99 cents... so I dropped off my grocery, went back in, took down the 99 cent sign I saw and brought it back to the same cashiers... then I was told to go to another aisle and waited for someone to come... that same clueless dude who went to check the price asked me if I wanted to buy it. I said no, I wanted to get one for free. He wasn't impressed.

This is the second time I had this happened to me at No Frills... they make you wait... and stare you down too. It's so lame considered the policy is posted at each register.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2004
1214 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
I'm familiar with the basics of SCOP & use it often but this is the first time I've run into this particular problem. Can anyone answer & save me time going through the entire SCOP policy?

DS & I were @ SDM & purchased an item that had a price sticker on it saying Reg. $14.99 SPCL $8.00 (in red) just one sticker top 1/2 white, bottom half red ...not like the all red clearance stickers.

Cashier scanned it in & it showed $14.99. I said no, that's not the price. She voided the item & was about to key it in (override) $8 when I said "don't I get if for free then?" When this exact same scenario happened to me at Pharmaplus, they gave me the item for free ... maybe I was just lucky??

Mgr came over & said, no, when its a clearance item they have to manually key in the override. I said the price should be in the computer (shouldn't they change the price in the computer and/or draw a black line through the UPC code to prevent the cashier from scanning it?). He had the entire SCOP policy there but with DS, I couldn't even attempt to go through it. We amicably agreed to disagree, told him I'd check it out & come back if I was correct since my receipt showed everything I needed on it.

Should the item have been free or did SCOP not apply in this case? I want to be sure of my facts before calling SDM customer service to complain.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3485 posts
1921 upvotes
Airdrie
beripari wrote:purchased an item that had a price sticker on it saying Reg. $14.99 SPCL $8.00 (in red)

Cashier scanned it in & it showed $14.99.

Should the item have been free or did SCOP not apply in this case? I want to be sure of my facts before calling SDM customer service to complain.
I believe SCoP applies to unticketed items only. Since the item had a tag on it, you knew how much it should be & error was easily corrected.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2005
2288 posts
316 upvotes
jimbarric wrote:I tried at Walmart a while back, but the lady looked at me like I was an idiot.
If the manager knew about that, they would probably be fired. There is a strict policy at Walmart to conform with the recommended standards.
May 30, 2005
402 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
I went to Futureshop to buy something but when they scanned it the system it came up as the wrong product and had a lower price but they refused to give it to me for that price. The manager and sales rep treated me like I was an idiot and refused to sell it to me. I called that 1-800 number on the Code of Practice... F/S Corp. called a few days later and offered me a $50 giftcard because of the mistake.
Oct 27, 2002
622 posts
15 upvotes
GTA
The stores that do the pricing code have it (should) at the enterence of the store as well should have it on every register. The funny thing is most ppl the work at these places dont even know how it works. I remember i was at walmart once and i guy got 15+ fishing lures. They were under the wrong label, they were suppose to be $10+ each but the label said $2.99. The cashier ended up giving him each lure for $2.99 :s...for that matter half the stuff in walmart is usually mislabeled > :(
Nov 22, 2002
583 posts
77 upvotes
Hah, nice timing. I was just searching for this thing yesterday (forum was returning a mysql error ).

Happened at [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian tire[/rfdlink] couple days ago. cable advertised as 9.99, rang up as 14.99. The cashier went to verify the price on the tag in the aisle, and came back and said I was getting it for free. No arguing, no nothing.

Cant complain about that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)