Shopping Discussion

Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2022 11:15 am
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2499 upvotes
Got some free cheese the other week from Safeway. I had to tell the cashier about the "free" thing. She obviously never heard of this policy 'cuz she called her supervisor to ask about it.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2003
1446 posts
207 upvotes
doubleA wrote:Do all retailers have to abide by this policy? If not, is there a way to know which retailers abide by this policy?

CACDS Supporting Companies:
Shoppers Drug Mart
The Groupe Jean Coutu (NB and Ont only)
Lawton Drug Stores
London Drugs
Lovell Drugs
Pharma-save (BC and Sask)
CCGD Supporting Companies:
Canada Safeway Limited
The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company of Canada Limited
Loblaw Companies Limited
Sobeys Inc.
Metro Inc.
Thrifty Foods
Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
Co-op Atlantic
Federated Co-operatives Limited

RCC Supporting Companies:
Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd.
The Home Depot Canada
[rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink] Corporation Ltd.
Toys r Us
Shoppers Drug Mart
Wal*Mart Canada Corp.
Giant Tiger Stores Ltd.
The North West Company
Best Buy/Future Shop ( in implementation stage)
2 Home Hardware franchisees

CFIG Supporting Companies:
Thrifty Foods
Overwaitea Food Group
The Harry Watson Group
Longos Brothers Fruit Markets
+ 1374 independent locations

http://www.retailcouncil.org/membersonl ... 02_eng.asp
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2003
1446 posts
207 upvotes
Follow their instructions for best results:

7. CONSUMER COMPLAINT PROCESS
7.1 When a scanner price error occurs, the cashier will be authorized to implement the Item Free Scanner Policy.

7.2 A customer dissatisfied with the cashier's decision will be directed to the store manager or supervisor.

7.3 If the store manager or supervisor cannot resolve the dispute, the customer should be directed to a designated company representative.

7.4 The time period for considering a particular complaint should be left to the discretion of the retailer. However, generally complaints should be resolved as expeditiously as possible and, in any event, no later than one month after the error is alleged to have occurred.

7.5 In the event that the dispute between the retailer and the consumer cannot be resolved:

(a) either party may refer the complaint to the Scanner Price Accuracy Committee; and
(b) if the dispute remains unresolved it may, at the request of either party, be referred to a designated arbitrator on a cost recovery basis.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
3118 posts
3 upvotes
bigredlemon wrote:every store I've been to claim they either know nothing about it or they aren't a member of the code. In general, it's been a waste of time for me.
I wonder if Staples is.
TRANCE/HOUSE Fan?

D J H A R O U N . C O M
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6435 posts
5915 upvotes
Ottawa
Leahjz wrote:I did this at London Drugs a few weeks ago. No one had any idea what was going on, even though it was posted on the front of the till. The store manager came over and did it, but glared daggers at me the whole time. It happens that my fiance works there and was standing with me at the time.

The store manager approached him later and told him she was "very dissapointed in his actions and judgement", and it's "not appropriate for employees, or family of employees".

I think that's a load of BS! She just conveniently made this part of the policy up. We're pursuing it with the Retail Council of Canada, and LD HR. That's harassment... Needless to say, I don't think it was worth a pack of paper towels to me.

If they're going to comply with this code, they should educate employees and management, or just scrap the whole idea!!
You know, I don't know the entire context of the situation, what your husbands job is etc, or what the working relationship is like at your husbands store. However, if I were in her shoes, I'd be kind of pissed at your husband as well. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. What your husband SHOULD have done is TELL someone the price was wrong, instead of trying to get one for free. And the fact that now you want to escalate this to the Retail Council of Canada and LD HR?!?! And claim harassment?!?!?! Wow.

But like I said, I don't know the entire situation. But I take her side on this one.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2003
1372 posts
375 upvotes
Ottawa
Konowl wrote:You know, I don't know the entire context of the situation,

But like I said, I don't know the entire situation. But I take her side on this one.
Do you work for Staples by any chance? You sure act like it....This is one of the reasons why store managers have it their way: lack of action from customers. Moreover, you find a "good explanation" for getting ripped off . Nice.

Tell me, why does the store abide by the policy if it "upsets" the manager? Crapola....
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1536 posts
694 upvotes
JF Ryan wrote:FYI

All Shoppers Drug Mart stores prominently displays the 'Scanning Code of Practise' at the front of their stores or at the front of each cash register to remind you. If you get rejected, call the SDM support line to lodge a complaint.
If you ever have a problem with this at shoppers call 1-800-SHOPPERS and they will give it to you for free, the store that denied me also delivered a bottle of shampoo to me at work the next day.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
3118 posts
3 upvotes
Konowl wrote:You know, I don't know the entire context of the situation, what your husbands job is etc, or what the working relationship is like at your husbands store. However, if I were in her shoes, I'd be kind of pissed at your husband as well. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. What your husband SHOULD have done is TELL someone the price was wrong, instead of trying to get one for free. And the fact that now you want to escalate this to the Retail Council of Canada and LD HR?!?! And claim harassment?!?!?! Wow.

Exactly.
TRANCE/HOUSE Fan?

D J H A R O U N . C O M
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
3118 posts
3 upvotes
As far as I know, Staples does not participate in the policy. Here's what happened a while back. A lady goes to the aisles section and brings a tub of Jellybeans up to the cash, along with various other merchandise. The tub scans in at $3.99, she thought it was $1.97, so the cashier called the manager up. Now, this woman was truly rude about the whole thing "you have to give it to me at this price!!!, that's how I found it." My manager calmly informed her that he wouldn't because Staples doesn't participate in the practice, thereafter she left a good $50 worth of stationary in the cart and left immediatly... over a tub of Jellybeans.

If it were me, I would have given it to her, saves a bunch of trouble that way. I talked to my manager later and he told me that if the woman had been polite he would have done it, even though Staples doesn't have that policy, she didn't have to be so rude. So I guess it makes sense looking at it that way.
TRANCE/HOUSE Fan?

D J H A R O U N . C O M
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18556 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
that_staples_guy wrote:As far as I know, Staples does not participate in the policy. Here's what happened a while back. A lady goes to the aisles section and brings a tub of Jellybeans up to the cash, along with various other merchandise. The tub scans in at $3.99, she thought it was $1.97, so the cashier called the manager up. Now, this woman was truly rude about the whole thing "you have to give it to me at this price!!!, that's how I found it." My manager calmly informed her that he wouldn't because Staples doesn't participate in the practice, thereafter she left a good $50 worth of stationary in the cart and left immediatly... over a tub of Jellybeans.

If it were me, I would have given it to her, saves a bunch of trouble that way. I talked to my manager later and he told me that if the woman had been polite he would have done it, even though Staples doesn't have that policy, she didn't have to be so rude. So I guess it makes sense looking at it that way.
The customer is ALWAYS right, you see...?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2005
8271 posts
633 upvotes
that_staples_guy wrote:If it were me, I would have given it to her, saves a bunch of trouble that way. I talked to my manager later and he told me that if the woman had been polite he would have done it, even though Staples doesn't have that policy, she didn't have to be so rude. So I guess it makes sense looking at it that way.
As always, being polite will help you in the long run. :)
Heatware: 36-0-0
Nov 7, 2003
139 posts
Thanks for the post....very informative. It has happened to me numerous times where items scan in at higher prices...especially at WalMart. If only I had known about SCOP!!!

Does anyone know if there are similar policies in the USA? I have found certain stores down there are awful for this. Especially when they have sales that offer discounts on discounts (like take an extra 20% off the clearance price of 50% off). You really have to watch your receipts and know your math!

Oh...I mentioned this forum to my mother, and apparently her local Loblaws is excellent for honouring this policy. She hadn't heard of it...but she said that a few times she had been checking out and noticed an error and mentioned it, the cashier just always gave her the item free. Now she knows why! :)
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
4708 posts
3045 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
wanted wrote:which car?

These ones.. pic below.. see the $12.92 sticker on them.. I guess it's not supposed to be there. :) I checked another walmart, and the sticker was either removed or blacked out with a marker.

[IMG]http://bone.chimp.ca/x/mustang.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
3118 posts
3 upvotes
camy47 wrote:Oh...I mentioned this forum to my mother, and apparently her local Loblaws is excellent for honouring this policy. She hadn't heard of it...but she said that a few times she had been checking out and noticed an error and mentioned it, the cashier just always gave her the item free. Now she knows why! :)

I second that, no hassles at all.
TRANCE/HOUSE Fan?

D J H A R O U N . C O M
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6435 posts
5915 upvotes
Ottawa
ipse wrote:Do you work for Staples by any chance? You sure act like it....This is one of the reasons why store managers have it their way: lack of action from customers. Moreover, you find a "good explanation" for getting ripped off . Nice.

Tell me, why does the store abide by the policy if it "upsets" the manager? Crapola....
Huh?

I'm referring to the lady who's husband works at the store where she wanted the item for free. I don't think employees should be abusing the policy at their place of employement. Good explanation for getting "ripped off"? What are you talking about? English please.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
6435 posts
5915 upvotes
Ottawa
CSR wrote:The customer is ALWAYS right, you see...?
LOL, that's not true anymore, you see? You would be dumbfounded at the amount of fraudulent returns people attempt.

Personally, if someone is overly rude to me I will NOT go out of my way to help them. I treat everyone I meet with respect and I expect the same in return. We are all adults here.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
6 upvotes
[QUOTE]Originally Posted by camy47
Oh...I mentioned this forum to my mother, and apparently her local Loblaws is excellent for honouring this policy. She hadn't heard of it...but she said that a few times she had been checking out and noticed an error and mentioned it, the cashier just always gave her the item free. Now she knows why! [/QUOTE]

If Loblaws has the same policy as Stupidstore, then I find that hard to believe. It's almost as difficult as giving away your first born, getting a scanner code of practise adjustment and discount. Read my post earlier on my story.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)