Shopping Discussion

Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 3:54 pm
Jan 19, 2011
366 posts
703 upvotes
paulo500 wrote: I seem to have good luck with the Superstore. I'll occasionally go in and get a couple small items here and there, and sometimes there would be a price error! So, needless to say i've walked out of there with some freebies. Once you do your first SCOP, the rest comes naturally. :D

They are so large I could find 10+ SCOP items while shopping if I bothered looking. Not worth the manager theatrics and drama though. "10 ITEMS?!?! I'VE NEVER SEEN THAT IN 10 YEARS/SOMETHING IS FISHY HERE, ARE YOU SURE YOU DIDN'T PUT UP THESE TAGS?". Some of the tags on the shelf are months old. Someone isn't doing their job. All good though, free razors, toothbrushes, and shampoo are a-okay with me.

Did you know pretty much every store has been overcharging chip dip for the last year? I've visited over 7 stores and every single one was overcharging 20 cents on the item. I've got like 15 free dips in my cupboard.

I see at one of the stores they are testing out electronic price tags. Hopefully there will never be a mispriced item if they are incorporated nation wide.
Jan 19, 2011
366 posts
703 upvotes
Ugh, I had them do a switcheroo on me. I went with the price checker and showed him the mispriced tag. He grabbed it but when I went back to customer service it had mysteriously disappeared and I had the manager calling me a liar. I saw the price checker grab it and confirm it was wrong... Not sure if I can call the SCOP complaint line as it's my word against theirs.

To get even I got $20 worth of lightbulbs for free.
Jan 15, 2008
878 posts
52 upvotes
Oil country
bladearts wrote: Ugh, I had them do a switcheroo on me. I went with the price checker and showed him the mispriced tag. He grabbed it but when I went back to customer service it had mysteriously disappeared and I had the manager calling me a liar. I saw the price checker grab it and confirm it was wrong... Not sure if I can call the SCOP complaint line as it's my word against theirs.

To get even I got $20 worth of lightbulbs for free.
That sucks. That's where cell phone cameras come in handy. The last scop I did I took a snap shot of the price with the product in question in the picture. Didn't really need it but was handy when I presented the error to cs.
Jan 19, 2011
366 posts
703 upvotes
On a side not what's the opinion on more than one item of a brand scanning wrong. Say there's Johnson Vitamin C and Vitamin D scanning wrong. The manager told me because it's the same brand I can't get them both. I thought the SCOP applied to each unique UPC?

I tried to complain the next day but then he told me I HAD to do it on the same day. Very frustrating.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6024 posts
1030 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
bladearts wrote: I see at one of the stores they are testing out electronic price tags. Hopefully there will never be a mispriced item if they are incorporated nation wide.
Oh boy - that means one really has to take a picture right then and there.
With electronic tags they can change the shelf price in a flash.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6024 posts
1030 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
bladearts wrote: Ugh, I had them do a switcheroo on me. I went with the price checker and showed him the mispriced tag. He grabbed it but when I went back to customer service it had mysteriously disappeared and I had the manager calling me a liar. I saw the price checker grab it and confirm it was wrong... Not sure if I can call the SCOP complaint line as it's my word against theirs.
I would not only complain to SCOP - not so much to get my "freebee" but to have this episode on record (which I hope they keep), but I would also lodge a complaint with the headoffice of the store.
Where does the manager get off calling anyone a liar - I find that totally unacceptable and I would expect head office to investigate that thoroughly.
If he is that type of person, I'm sure others have complained as well.
Jan 19, 2011
366 posts
703 upvotes
krs wrote: Oh boy - that means one really has to take a picture right then and there.
With electronic tags they can change the shelf price in a flash.

I'm assuming if they're connected to the pricing system it'll never be wrong. The scanning price will be the displayed price. Which is great.

(I have no idea how they work.)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6024 posts
1030 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
bladearts wrote: On a side not what's the opinion on more than one item of a brand scanning wrong. Say there's Johnson Vitamin C and Vitamin D scanning wrong. The manager told me because it's the same brand I can't get them both. I thought the SCOP applied to each unique UPC?

I tried to complain the next day but then he told me I HAD to do it on the same day. Very frustrating.
SCOP does apply to each unique UPC - the manager is full of BS.
But you only get the discount on the first item (if you buy more than one), on the others you pay the corrected price.

And having to complain on the same day is BS too. Of course that assumes the prive tag hasn't been corrected in the meantime.
But if you get home and find out you have been overcharged, you can go back the next day with the bill and get the issue taken care of.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4232 posts
866 upvotes
Ottawa
Just a word to the wise, I got nothing but excuses at Giant Tiger this week when trying to SCOP burgers that were reg 8.97 were marked on the display as 6.97. Of course they rang up for the higher price. Cashier told me if it wasn't in the flyer it wasn't on sale, then tried to tell me it applied to a different product, then to take the cake told me it must have been another shopper switching the tags! Finally I said "Just ring up for whatever price you want, and I'll just file a complaint later." WELL, as soon as I said that, they sure changed their tune in a hurry. Manager came right over and set it straight pronto. There must be some penalty for them if I had complained, and it must have been a lot more than the price difference on a five boxes of burgers.
Aug 23, 2010
7 posts
2 upvotes
Hamilton
Last week I wasted like 20 minutes of my life dealing with some manager at walmart in Hamilton who thought I was born yesterday. Gillette Venus Disposable razors were on sale for $5.98...in the flyer they included picture of 2 (pink and blue) out of 5 scents available, the description did not say that some scents are not on sale. So I grabbed the "orange" scent, double checked the price using their instant price check...wrong price...went to the cash register...the cashier register started persuading me that only blue and pink scents are on sale, she even called someone who agreed with her. Ok, fine...went to get the blue package, went to a different cash register, same issue, just this time the cashier agreed that they are all on sale, but still wanted to charge me so i reminded her of their Scanning Code of Practice. She called a manager who was suppose to give me the item for free...and then the fun began! The female manager looked at the item, looked at the ad (first tried telling me that I must have a wrong flyer, but didn't succeed since the dates were clearly stated)...then she disappeared for a long time and came back with yellow and some other scent and told me that these are scanning the right price therefore I should get those...so I told her no, thanks, I want the blue one which is even pictured in the ad...then she tried to persuade me that they don't have the blue "oceana" one and that scanning code of practice doesn't apply on these items...at this point I was getting pretty pissed and told her to go and bring the blue one back and compare it to the picture posted in the ad if she has such a short term memory.....so she disappeared again, must have been at least 10 minutes...finally came back with the blue one, looking very pissed, went straight to the customer service desk and told one of the girls there to ring it in as free.....like wow, "great" customer service
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2009
2028 posts
479 upvotes
Edmonton
Found this in a newsletter to which I subscribe. I hope it helps.

[QUOTE] Have you ever bought something and the price at the cashier was different than the sticker or shelf price? If so, you might be able to score a discount on that item.

The Scanner Price Accuracy Code is a voluntary code of practice which seems to be pretty common in larger stores and chains.

The way it works is that if an item is scanned incorrectly, the customer is entitled to up to a $10 discount on that item. If the item price is less than $10, then it is free.

The discount can be applied to multiple unique items. If you buy three cans of Campbell’s chicken soup and the price is wrong, you only get the discount on the first can. If you buy three different types of soup and they are all incorrectly priced, the discount will apply to each unique product.

I’ve had two occasions to use this code, both times at Canadian Tire. The first time was when I bought some light bulbs on sale at 50% off, but the scanned price was the regular price. I paid for the items and then went to customer service to get my $7.38 refunded. Given that I spent about 10 minutes of my lunch hour getting that money, it wasn’t really worth it, but I wanted to check out the process. That time I had no problem getting my money back.
Recently however, I bought some camping items at Canadian Tire and there were two scanning errors. Unfortunately, I had my kids with me and by the time we got to the cash, I didn’t pay any attention to the scanned prices, since I just wanted to get the hell out of there. The bill ended up being more than I thought, so when I got home I checked the receipt and there were two items with the incorrect prices.

A cooler I bought was on sale for $24.95, but I was charged the regular price of $44.95. I also bought two small propane tanks which were supposed to be $3.89 each, but I was charged $10.98 each. After checking the website, I realized that these tanks were also sold in 3-packs which cost $10.98.

I went back to Canadian Tire the next day and asked for price corrections which they did without complaint. However, when I mentioned the Scanner Price Accuracy Code, she wouldn’t give it to me on either item.
For the cooler, she said that the sale had ended when I bought it, but she would honour the posted sale price. She also added that she couldn’t verify that the sale price had been posted on the shelf when I made my purchase.
As for the propane tanks, she said that the tanks I bought had been part of a 3-pack and had probably been broken up by another customer (I doubt it). She said there was no error because the price reflected the 3-pack price.
I disagreed – in both cases the items were on their proper shelf and had the prices below them. The fact that there were reasonable explanations for price differences and that it might have not been the fault of Canadian Tire, doesn’t change the fact that the prices I was charged were different than the posted prices and as far as I’m concerned, they should have given me the discount.

Tips for getting the scanning discount
 Look for a posted sign at the cashier station to see if the store adheres to this practice.
 Watch the prices as the scanning occurs. It’s a lot easier to prove an error at that time, rather than later on.
 Make sure you ask about the Scanner Price Accuracy Code if applicable. It’s very unlikely the cashier will mention it unprompted. [/QUOTE]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6024 posts
1030 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Thanks for posting the information from the newsletter, but it turns out that the information written there is strictly speaking wrong or at least misleading.

[QUOTE]The way it works is that if an item is scanned incorrectly, the customer is entitled to up to a $10 discount on that item. If the item price is less than $10, then it is free.[/QUOTE]

SCOP only applies if the scanned price is higher than the shelf or advertised price, not if the price scanned is incorrect, ie, the scanned price could be lower than advertised but in that case you pay the scanned price - you don't get any discount or the item for free.
For most people that may be obvious, but that question was actually raised in this thread a while back.

[QUOTE]The discount can be applied to multiple unique items. If you buy three cans of Campbell’s chicken soup and the price is wrong, you only get the discount on the first can. If you buy three different types of soup and they are all incorrectly priced, the discount will apply to each unique product.[/QUOTE]

Again, this is not a clear as it should be. The key is the UPC code, if the three cans have the same UPC code, then SCOP applies to only the first item but if the UPC codes are different, say different sizes of Campbell's Chicken soup, then SCOP applies to each unique UPC code.

[QUOTE]I’ve had two occasions to use this code, both times at Canadian Tire. The first time was when I bought some light bulbs on sale at 50% off, but the scanned price was the regular price. I paid for the items and then went to customer service to get my $7.38 refunded. Given that I spent about 10 minutes of my lunch hour getting that money, it wasn’t really worth it, but I wanted to check out the process. That time I had no problem getting my money back.
Recently however, I bought some camping items at Canadian Tire and there were two scanning errors. Unfortunately, I had my kids with me and by the time we got to the cash, I didn’t pay any attention to the scanned prices, since I just wanted to get the hell out of there. The bill ended up being more than I thought, so when I got home I checked the receipt and there were two items with the incorrect prices.

A cooler I bought was on sale for $24.95, but I was charged the regular price of $44.95. I also bought two small propane tanks which were supposed to be $3.89 each, but I was charged $10.98 each. After checking the website, I realized that these tanks were also sold in 3-packs which cost $10.98.

I went back to Canadian Tire the next day and asked for price corrections which they did without complaint. However, when I mentioned the Scanner Price Accuracy Code, she wouldn’t give it to me on either item.
For the cooler, she said that the sale had ended when I bought it, but she would honour the posted sale price. She also added that she couldn’t verify that the sale price had been posted on the shelf when I made my purchase.
As for the propane tanks, she said that the tanks I bought had been part of a 3-pack and had probably been broken up by another customer (I doubt it). She said there was no error because the price reflected the 3-pack price.
I disagreed – in both cases the items were on their proper shelf and had the prices below them. The fact that there were reasonable explanations for price differences and that it might have not been the fault of Canadian Tire, doesn’t change the fact that the prices I was charged were different than the posted prices and as far as I’m concerned, they should have given me the discount.[/QUOTE]

Here I agree with what Canadian Tire did.
CTC apparently sometimes honours the sale price (for up to two weeks I read somewhere) if you ask nicely - but the shopper should have gone back to the cooler display the next day to verify the incorrect sale price was still posted before asking for SCOP to be applied. If it wasn't, which is what this sounds like, she's out of luck and the CTC service rep did the right thing by refusing SCOP and also gave the correct reason.

On the propane tanks I can't really comment with the information provided.
The shopper's claim seems odd however - if tanks are sold in three-packs they would be shrink-wrapped and the UPC code would be on the package, not on the individual tank and I would think it would be obvious if each of the tanks she had bought was just one of a pack of three. Somehow the shopper's story here doesn't make sense

BTW - I don't work for CTC or have any relation whatever with them, never had never will.
I work in the High-Tech industry and run a Product Management group.

It is unfortunate that SCOP is still so misunderstood, by cashiers, store managers and customers as well.
Mar 17, 2009
182 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
krs wrote: On the propane tanks I can't really comment with the information provided.
The shopper's claim seems odd however - if tanks are sold in three-packs they would be shrink-wrapped and the UPC code would be on the package, not on the individual tank and I would think it would be obvious if each of the tanks she had bought was just one of a pack of three. Somehow the shopper's story here doesn't make sense

Yes, they should be shrink-wrapped. However, sometimes the shrink wrap does not entirely cover the product, leaving (for instance) the sides open. Frequently, the manufacturer will put the "package" bar code sticker on the open spot (in this case, it would be right on the propane cyllinder).

Now here is where it gets fun. Having worked at several retail establishments, including those which may offer a choice of buying a product individually or in a package, I can tell you that people will rip packaging open to take a single unit (even if it is not offered as a single unit). Individual units will go astray and even get misplaced by both staff and customers into the spot where the individual units are sold. A sharp eye might catch the wrong sticker on the product, but face it, everyone is in a rush, be it staff or customers, and it may not be noticed until someone wants to purchase it.

So, as much as I do not like Canadian Tire, their story is indeed plausible.
Feb 9, 2011
883 posts
130 upvotes
Montr
only store i know that dosent apply that policy is Sail because they tag every price individualy
May 27, 2004
101 posts
2 upvotes
Kingston
Perhaps I've been living under a rock and all you suave bargin hunters are full aware of this but I learned something new today... apparently in Canada there is a "Scanning Code of Conduct" retailers are not obligated to inform you of this, but if you bring it to their attention the majority of retailers honour it.

How many times have you checked out of the store when something in your basket rings in at the wrong price? You let the cashier know and they correct the price and away you go? Well next time when this happens ask if the store honours this Canadian Scanner Code of Conduct. Most do. If your purchase is $10 or less you will receive it free, if it is $10 or more you will get a discount of that $10.

For full details check out http://www.retailcouncil.org/advocacy/n ... 02_eng.asp

Happy Shopping :)
Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.