Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 3:54 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23363 posts
624 upvotes
Toronto
SCOP right there. Surely you be jesting.

Okay, I be jesting. I suppose we know it as the "Scanning Code of Practice". People will occasionally find this and it's a YMMV and they'll post in Hot Deals as a SCOP.

One important detail is that it must be labeled cheaper on the shelf and not the sticker on the item.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10051 posts
2646 upvotes
i get free stuff at safeway almost every week from this.

lots of times its .20 - .50 cents higher then the shelf price, i ask for it free, and they do it everytime.

last time i got 8$ worth of lunch meat free cause they charge me 3.00/100gm instead of 2.79/100gm
Apr 23, 2008
391 posts
55 upvotes
Kanata
xalex0 wrote: Ordered 5. Thanks!

Huh? of what?

Also, note that if you're buying multiple of the item that rings at the wrong price, only the first one with have the SCOP applied. The rest will be adjusted to the correct price only.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2191 posts
1260 upvotes
GTA
Used this SCOP a couple of times over the last year or so at Walmart and got my items free (both less than $10 each) in separate purchases.
May 18, 2011
94 posts
30 upvotes
Ordered 5 as well, now to sell em' for twice the price on Kijiji....
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7016 posts
2666 upvotes
Calgary
dealsacc wrote: Ordered 5 as well, now to sell em' for twice the price on Kijiji....

Hoarders! Now it will soon be OOS! :lol: :lol:
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
2054 posts
282 upvotes
Onterrible
Aerya wrote: Huh? of what?

Also, note that if you're buying multiple of the item that rings at the wrong price, only the first one with have the SCOP applied. The rest will be adjusted to the correct price only.

They're just trying to be smart..
But, they failed because this was not posted in the Hot deals forum. Unless it was then their posts are appropriate.

Members usually post, "ordered 5, ordered, etc" if a deal is posted in the hot deals forum and the deal is a joke, not a deal, definitely not hot, etc. Just to mock the OP.
Check out my >>Blog<< to learn how to get CashBack from Shopping Online! (Almost EVERY online retailer)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
Canuckerr wrote: They're just trying to be smart..
But, they failed because this was not posted in the Hot deals forum. Unless it was then their posts are appropriate.

Members usually post, "ordered 5, ordered, etc" if a deal is posted in the hot deals forum and the deal is a joke, not a deal, definitely not hot, etc. Just to mock the OP.
It was posted in freebies forum, CO. Does that qualify? Also, you might want to visit that section sometimes - quite a few great freebies (unlike this one) get posted there.
Nov 12, 2011
1 posts
OSHAWA
So last month i went to Walmart to buy some stuff. I bought 2 different kind of canned peaches (which look the same). I noticed that the price of both peaches were different then the rest around it. So went i went to checkout i paid attention when the peaches went thru and then scanned higher. They first didn't want to give me both of them for free becuase they thought they were the same, they were not, so after a bit of arguing they gave me them to me for free.

But that wasn't the problem. So i go back like 6 hours later near closing time because my gf wanted to do some shopping. I thought i'd just look and see if they changed the price of the peaches, they did not, so i decided to try to get some more, they shouldn't be advertising one thing and charging another. I get to the cash fine (different cashier) and they come up higher of course, so i mention that the shelve had a different price. So called for help and i accompined the guy so it would be faster. But i guess the cashier i had a problem with before saw me and told the other cashier while i was away not to give them to me because i already got that item today. So the cashier said because i already got this today and couldn't get it again. She said only one unique item per day. I asked why the price wasn't changed and she had no response. So i started to complain but then decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Then i got home and it still bugged me, so i called the scop phone number i got online. The guy i talked to actually had never heard of this, of someone getting the same item twice in one day (obv i could have, had the cashier not noticed me). He said they are required to change the price once informed it is wrong. He said he didn't see why i couldn't get the item again for free, and that he was pretty sure you could get the same item again for free later that day.

What do you think, should they have given me the peaches again for free or no? The price still read wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6022 posts
1030 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
[QUOTE]What do you think, should they have given me the peaches again for free[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!

This shows pretty clearly that SCOP isn't working - at least not at Walmart.
The $10.- discount or the freebee if it's less than $10 is obviously not enough of an incentive for the manager/staff at Wamart to correct the price.

I think they have a nerve to suggest you can only get SCOP on a particular item once a day, theyare the ones who are too damn lazy to correct the pricing error after it was pointed out to them.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21042 posts
14993 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
core33 wrote: What do you think, should they have given me the peaches again for free or no? The price still read wrong.
They should have. But that's beside the point. You told them their computer was ringing up the wrong price the first time you used SCOP. They should have changed the price in the computer (or at least changed the price at the display to match the computer) so that no one else would get the wrong price. That they didn't implies they intended to defraud all the suckers who bought the product after you did.

Not to dump only on WalMart but the same thing happened to me a few years ago. I was at a Loblaws on a Saturday morning. They had jam on sale at $1 off per jar. This is something we use a lot of so I grabbed several jars. At the checkout I noticed that they'd charged me the regular price. I showed the checkout lady a copy of their flyer with the jam clearly on sale. She called a manager or supervisor who quickly gave me a refund of the difference. Later that Saturday afternoon I was at the same mall again for another reason and decided to pop into the Loblaws to get some more of that jam. The pickings were slim on the shelf, so evidently lots of people were stocking up. At checkout I discovered that this jam was still ringing up at the regular price. Again when I complained they gave me the lower price. But now it was obvious that they knew all along that they were overcharging their customers. I've regretted ever since that I didn't report them to the federal government for violating consumer protection legislation if not for outright fraud. I should have.
veni, vidi, Visa