Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2024 10:05 am
Jun 1, 2006
901 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga
YMMV
Two different Walmarts (Sherway, South Common Mall) have the Keurig Donut Collection Variety Box K-Cup 40 count marked on the shelf for $14.88
SCM had a skid in the middle of walking area priced at $14.88 but $16.88 in the grocery area.
Sherway scanned at $18.97 while SCM scanned at $16.88.

I had to go to customer service to get the SCOP discount because the cashier was clueless.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Recently, the RCSS advertised a sale on their 5lb navel oranges in their flyer and on the shelf. At the store, it rang up a higher price and I got SCOP on it. However, when I went to another RCSS, there was a huge sign over the oranges consistent with the higher price and no correction notice. Can I just point to the flyer's advertised price to get the SCOP?
Jan 30, 2013
334 posts
195 upvotes
Becks wrote: Recently, the RCSS advertised a sale on their 5lb navel oranges in their flyer and on the shelf. At the store, it rang up a higher price and I got SCOP on it. However, when I went to another RCSS, there was a huge sign over the oranges consistent with the higher price and no correction notice. Can I just point to the flyer's advertised price to get the SCOP?
Best pay for it.Then get the SCOP at customer service.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
6949 posts
7524 upvotes
BC
Does SCOP apply to an online price not matching an in-store scanned price? I'm looking at a tool from home depot. Online it says $168 but shelf tag and scan price is $169. Is this worth a $10 discount?
-Read store exceptions before combining discounts with cash back sites
-HomeDepot clearance prices are not shown on stocktrack or HD.ca
-There is a difference between NEED (necessities) and WANT (desires). The word NEED is over-used on RFD and in general.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
SizzleChest wrote: Does SCOP apply to an online price not matching an in-store scanned price? I'm looking at a tool from home depot. Online it says $168 but shelf tag and scan price is $169. Is this worth a $10 discount?
If shelf tag and scan price match, there is no SCOP
On-line prices are often different than in-store prices
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2147 posts
959 upvotes
Was purchasing some kids slippers at Walmart a few days ago. Regular price $14.95, but there was a yellow sticker "Now $5.00" on the actual item (no posted prices on the shelf). The item scanned at $9.00, and I was told that SCOP does not apply because... something about ticketed price vs stickers, etc. :) Is that true? No SCOP in cases like that?
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mbmbkop wrote: Was purchasing some kids slippers at Walmart a few days ago. Regular price $14.95, but there was a yellow sticker "Now $5.00" on the actual item (no posted prices on the shelf). The item scanned at $9.00, and I was told that SCOP does not apply because... something about ticketed price vs stickers, etc. :) Is that true? No SCOP in cases like that?
See the FAQ in the first post:
17 - An item has a bar code, but also a price written on it, or a price sticker. Does the SCOP apply?

No, the SCOP does not apply to an item with a price on it, even if it also has a bar code [Pamphlet].
Jul 23, 2015
897 posts
650 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
mbmbkop wrote: Was purchasing some kids slippers at Walmart a few days ago. Regular price $14.95, but there was a yellow sticker "Now $5.00" on the actual item (no posted prices on the shelf). The item scanned at $9.00, and I was told that SCOP does not apply because... something about ticketed price vs stickers, etc. :) Is that true? No SCOP in cases like that?
SCOP might not apply, but I think you should only pay $5 (the lowest marked price).
Jul 23, 2015
897 posts
650 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Sherlock115 wrote: Best pay for it.Then get the SCOP at customer service.
I think it's best to do any SCOP or haggling before you pay, if you give them your money, you're going to be fighting to get it back rather than having them trying to get it from you.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Nibbler2012 wrote: Not from Quebec but I believe SCOP doesn't exist there as it is actually law and all retailers must follow it. I think the rules are fairly close to what we have in Ontario though, in terms of free and $10 off items over $10.
It is not Law, it is a Code of Practice compiled by a number of businesses, including the retail Council of Canada. Once a business becomes a signatory to the "Code" then they must follow the "Code".
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2001
5231 posts
4105 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
rcmpvet wrote: It is not Law, it is a Code of Practice compiled by a number of businesses, including the retail Council of Canada. Once a business becomes a signatory to the "Code" then they must follow the "Code".
In Quebec it's the law.
😱
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
^^^^^ I reread the original post by Nibbler2012 and I can see now that he/she was probably inferring that "actually Law" was referencing Quebec Legislation. Mea Culpa and thank you for the clarification.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Aug 4, 2012
209 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone good at math? Check if scop was done accurately. I bought a Wok at Loblaws. Shelf price was 19.97 but scanned 32.99.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
2057 posts
2034 upvotes
Winnipeg
FireChip wrote: Anyone good at math? Check if scop was done accurately. I bought a Wok at Loblaws. Shelf price was 19.97 but scanned 32.99.
Almoooooost, but they input the $10 SCOP as a coupon instead of adjusting the item price down by $10, so you still paid HST on the $10 deducted. I don't think that is correct.
Jul 4, 2005
778 posts
63 upvotes
Ontario
FireChip wrote: Anyone good at math? Check if scop was done accurately. I bought a Wok at Loblaws. Shelf price was 19.97 but scanned 32.99.
Yes, that is correct (except for one detail).

- They refunded you the price of $32.99 plus tax.
- For inventory purposes, they must charge you for the wok at the correct price of $19.97 plus tax.
- You were given the maximum amount of $10.00 off of the correct price.
- However, they forgot to press the tax key along with the 33 code (SCOP code on the register) on the $10.00.

You're just missing a little bit of taxes owed to you. At least that's how we were trained, to include tax with SCOP on a taxable item.
Jul 23, 2015
897 posts
650 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
rcmpvet wrote: ^^^^^ I reread the original post by Nibbler2012 and I can see now that he/she was probably inferring that "actually Law" was referencing Quebec Legislation. Mea Culpa and thank you for the clarification.
Indeed I meant Quebec Legislation...and on another note, he/she should be replaced with 'they' nowadays.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
^^^^^ Are you self-identifying???
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2403 posts
671 upvotes
Toronto
Does the scanning code of practice not apply to them? You know the retailer law that states if an item scans for more than the marked price the item is free under $10?...happened to me today at dollarama bought 7 of the same item marked for 1.50 and they charged $2 for each and I had to go back in the store ...cashier says they don’t go by the scop so she just adjusted it and gave me my change. Savvy shoppers know about this?
Jul 10, 2003
787 posts
684 upvotes
Toronto
Heavenleigh85 wrote: Does the scanning code of practice not apply to them? You know the retailer law that states if an item scans for more than the marked price the item is free under $10?...happened to me today at dollarama bought 7 of the same item marked for 1.50 and they charged $2 for each and I had to go back in the store ...cashier says they don’t go by the scop so she just adjusted it and gave me my change. Savvy shoppers know about this?
SCOP is voluntary and Dollarama doesn't participate in SCOP.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)