• Apr 7th, 2020 12:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
1325 posts
566 upvotes

Remitly - Funds not received in beneficiary account

Hello,

I started using Remitly to transfer money to India. 2 of my transfers from earlier this year were deposited correctly. Latest (3rd) transfer from March was withdrawn from my Simplii account, but never deposited to my Indian account - but their tracking says delivered / deposited. Talked to my Bank in India - they see no pending deposits.

Raised a dispute with Remitly, which is still ongoing for over 2 weeks now, but they keep coming back saying their partner bank in India says money delivered. I keep providing them bank statements almost every day, showing no funds are deposited in my India account. Twitter, Facebook, Email - I've tried every possible way to escalate. But, no luck so far.

The amount is $5000, to help my family during this Covid lockdown in India. What is my recourse here?

Called Simplii to see if the PAD can be reversed. While they cannot guarantee, they asked me to sign a form stating:

- The PAD was not processed according to the Payor's authorization.
- Confirm that no reimbursement was sought nor received directly from the Payee.

Not sure if they'll be able to reverse the PAD. Any suggestions?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8540 posts
1495 upvotes
Is there any way that Remitly could send you documentation from their end showing where the funds were deposited? Maybe there was some manual intervention involved and the person had made a mistake?
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
775 upvotes
centre of universe
Frankie3s wrote: Is there any way that Remitly could send you documentation from their end showing where the funds were deposited? Maybe there was some manual intervention involved and the person had made a mistake?
possible.

OP just curious and you dont to answer. Which bank in India? And advantages of choosing Remitly. I have never sent money anywhere except US so no idea.
I hope Simplii can reverse it. But they make take time as different country is involved.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
1325 posts
566 upvotes
callernamet wrote: possible.

OP just curious and you dont to answer. Which bank in India? And advantages of choosing Remitly. I have never sent money anywhere except US so no idea.
I hope Simplii can reverse it. But they make take time as different country is involved.
Thanks for answers. It’s State Bank of India. Remitly gives close to market exchange rate and no extra fees if the amount is 500 or more.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6503 posts
1450 upvotes
Toronto
callernamet wrote: possible.

I once send $ to Philippines via Remitly and it work.
Nov 23, 2014
426 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto, ON
headleygrange wrote: Thanks for answers. It’s State Bank of India. Remitly gives close to market exchange rate and no extra fees if the amount is 500 or more.
Check your remitly account.May be the payment/transaction was not processed

It happened to me many times.When i called them they switched their payment processor and processed again and it went through

Better,use xoom next time.It is instant transfer
Dec 6, 2017
868 posts
432 upvotes
Manitoba
Used Remitly at least 3 times now and no hitches.
one more deal and I'm out * involuntary tick*.... :twisted:
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
775 upvotes
centre of universe
cgtlky wrote: I once send $ to Philippines via Remitly and it work.
headleygrange wrote: Thanks for answers. It’s State Bank of India. Remitly gives close to market exchange rate and no extra fees if the amount is 500 or more.
Good to know.
Just checked State Bank of India has office here and in US. Seen branch in downtown. May be open account there and it will help if doing it regularly. I guess this was emergency situation.
Anyway keep us posted what happens. good luck.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
1325 posts
566 upvotes
After escalating to BC Consumer Protection (Remitly is based in BC), Ontario Consumer protection and The Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions in Twitter, Remitly finally provided an update.

Their partner bank incorrectly marked the transaction as completed. They were able to push the money and again the money appeared in my India account within seconds.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
775 upvotes
centre of universe
headleygrange wrote: After escalating to BC Consumer Protection (Remitly is based in BC), Ontario Consumer protection and The Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions in Twitter, Remitly finally provided an update.

Their partner bank incorrectly marked the transaction as completed. They were able to push the money and again the money appeared in my India account within seconds.
good ending.